The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-01-2013 10:45 AM
88 1234
tools
    I don't think Sony have really thought this through.

Can everyone remember the furore that accompanied the 920 on it's release? Opponents criticised the bulkiness and the weight.

The Z1 weighs in at 170g and the QX100 required a set of industrial scales and a forklift truck for its weigh in of 179g. You can probably put those numbers together and using a method called long addition, you can calculate the total weight of those items. However, to save you a few hours, I've done the maths for you.

The combined weight of the phone and lens comes to a whopping 6.74 metric tonnes! It's hard to believe I know especially as the calculator on my 920 works it out as 349g but it is running WP8 so I know which calculation I trust.

Now, all joking aside, I wonder what kind of critical reception the Z1 and QX100 will receive considering the total weight? This is before you consider the 399 price tag of the QX100.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-12-2013 07:24 AM
    Typical Android.. I've had enough of Asus Transformer and Nexus 7. I will never buy anymore Android again.

Yeah, performance is freaking good when you first open it. Over the time frame of just weeks, it starts to head south.
    Lags everywhere, crashes here and there.. just annoying.

I thought Google would do a better job than Asus with Nexus 7 (pure stock android), it just failed big time.
    Then the Asus T100 running Win 8.1 should be your next ticket
    LastBattle likes this.
    09-12-2013 09:24 AM
    I fully expect the QX100 to outperform the 1020. I just don't know if the extra size, weight, cost and overall inconvenience is going to be that popular given how much everyone chastised the 920 for its weight.
    09-12-2013 09:35 AM
    Oh no, If I was an android fanboy and purchased this module thing day 1 on its launched and here I go to take snappy pictures.

Here's how it'd go through,

11.00 AM - Am walking down the lane with my module in the bag and phone in hand waiting for something to happen
    11.05 AM - I reach home, nothing happens, am sad.
    11.08 AM - I wake up my niece (just a year old, who is sleeping peacefully), she wakes up with a smile
    11.08.02 AM - I take out my phone to take the photo, oh wait I missed that lens thing
    11.09 AM- I run towards my bag to get that module
    11.11 AM - I am back to the baby and just about to take the photo, oh wait where's that jacket that connects the phone to the lens thingy?
    11.12 AM - God where did I put it?
    11.13 AM - Oh its in the bag, front pocket
    11.15 AM - All fixed, let me fire this up
    "CAMERA APP HAS CRASHED!"
    11.16 AM - God, let me try again
    11.16.59 AM - It fires up

Bummer, baby starts to scream like a 1600cc Engine at 11.16.40 AM!!, the baby hands me a Lumia 1020 and goes back to sleep ;)
    LastBattle, illidanx and cckgz4 like this.
    09-12-2013 12:01 PM
    Then the Asus T100 running Win 8.1 should be your next ticket
    A very cool machine that one..
    09-12-2013 01:43 PM
    I fully expect the QX100 to outperform the 1020. I just don't know if the extra size, weight, cost and overall inconvenience is going to be that popular given how much everyone chastised the 920 for its weight.

Well. I have a Lumia 920 and a Sony Cybershot RX-100 (which this QX-100 is based on.)

So I guess i'm covered.

Seriously the RX100/QX-100 is mindblowing, but it is not a phone.... It is a camera! And one without viewfinder/screen to top it off.

I love My RX-100, it is just about DSLR quality packed in a compact body. But I don't have it on me all the time like I do with my L920.

And once again - The best camera is the one You have with You!
    bawboh86 and cckgz4 like this.
    09-12-2013 01:55 PM
    I have a 920 now (former iphone4s) and I had saw the deal on the older Z and now see the Z1. I kind of want to try it. never having android before I am not sujust look at the situation what I'm getting myself into though. I've always liked Sony gear just look at the specs look really nice for the Z1. Plus I have tons of Sony Reward points to use so hopefully could get it with a nice discount.

I'm still on the fence though. I love my 920 and the windows phone but a few things disappoint and this Z1 caught my eye.
    Being a current Android owner I can answer your question. you will have tons of "eye candy", just look at live wallpapers. ( the ability to customize your user interface is unmatched by any OS, ( personalisation abilities are endless...but Android is a little behind windows interns of smoothness and responsiveness but still noticeably inferior when compared to ios and Windows in this regard, perhaps you might get an Android that is so close to Windows in this aspect but it is very uncommon/rear, but does exist.

As for reliability, Android falls very short (one reason im switching to Windows), Android devices generally age much faster than ios (not sure about Windows), what I mean buy age is that you start to experience problems that you didn't experience in the first 6 months of owning the device. Also there are so many inferior quality apps on Google play, then there are those apps that have poor compatibility with only your device (the disadvantage of having so many versions of hardware, UI overlays and manufacture settings-Android has many manufacturers so this is common)

But after you have "reviewed" 10 000 apps on your device, you can choose all the remaining apps that work on your device.

A major advantage is Android has a massive number of apps that increase buy about 107 new apps per second. It's a large ecosystem that is possibly bigger than ios.

if you are willing to accept Androids shortcomings then it is a fantastic choice for you, you wont find anything like it.
    Sinabu and cckgz4 like this.
    09-13-2013 02:20 AM
    ^The problem with android apps is that,
    You pay Google 25 bucks one time, offload any and every kind of app, Google is not bothered to check whats in them until they receive complaints (which is too late).

Compare this with IOS and WP, they require you to pay a yearly fee and manually review everything (Atleast Apple does) before making it public.

Have been using wp8 since April, still doesn't lag anywhere, except for whatsapp at random times (maybe once a day or so), because whatsapp people don't give a D about updating wp version.
    09-13-2013 02:27 AM
    Thanks for the informative Reply StaleMate.

Something about the Z1 is just catching my eye. I miss the All glass/metal frame of my iphone with it's sharp corners/edges and such and I see that in the Sony. I have an Ipad mini so I still have the apple experience for Apps/Games but since its only wifi it's not good everywhere i need it. I don't own a laptop or anything so it's my main PC for home browsing/emails etc.

My first 920 had to be replaced due to wireless charging issues which Nokia did an awesome job taking care of me there but just in the time I've had the 920 the back is all scratched up and there are fine scratches all over of the screen. This never happened to my 4 and 4s and i had those there full contract cycles (2 years each) They looked brand new the day i sold them. The 920 is even in a gel case. Software wise I really enjoy the Windows ecosystem minus a couple apps I wish it had but hopefully in the next few upates (if AT&T ever releases them for us) Then i'm sure it will be more solid.

Once the Z1 comes out to be purchased I'll make my choice then. I do think I am ready for a change and the Z1 is the only one that's jumping out to me in terms of looks, quality and performance. :)
    09-13-2013 06:09 AM
    Thanks for the informative Reply StaleMate.

Something about the Z1 is just catching my eye. I miss the All glass/metal frame of my iphone with it's sharp corners/edges and such and I see that in the Sony. I have an Ipad mini so I still have the apple experience for Apps/Games but since its only wifi it's not good everywhere i need it. I don't own a laptop or anything so it's my main PC for home browsing/emails etc.

My first 920 had to be replaced due to wireless charging issues which Nokia did an awesome job taking care of me there but just in the time I've had the 920 the back is all scratched up and there are fine scratches all over of the screen. This never happened to my 4 and 4s and i had those there full contract cycles (2 years each) They looked brand new the day i sold them. The 920 is even in a gel case. Software wise I really enjoy the Windows ecosystem minus a couple apps I wish it had but hopefully in the next few upates (if AT&T ever releases them for us) Then i'm sure it will be more solid.

Once the Z1 comes out to be purchased I'll make my choice then. I do think I am ready for a change and the Z1 is the only one that's jumping out to me in terms of looks, quality and performance. :)

To be specific, the Android I own is the HTC EVO 3D (yes it does have a built in camera that can capture 3D photos and videos.) anyway...back to the point, according to the android community, HTC is a "bad" make and to be fair I only started to experience issues after doing an update by (OTA-over the air update). so either my HTC is terrible or the update to ics (android 4.0.3) is not completely compatible with the device. If you get the Z1 be sure to check with people who have already updated to the latest os and used it on that very device for at least a week or two, before you update anything. This will make you aware of compatibility issues and bugs with the update. That may have very well been my mistake.
    Last edited by Stalemate 1; 09-14-2013 at 02:26 AM.
    09-13-2013 02:51 PM
    Imo the z1 is an awesome choice for Android, though I'd recommend you just check out (not purchase-just have a look at) the moto x before you buy. Both these devices have their strengths and weaknesses. The moto x comes with the latest Android features but has mid range hardware where as the z1 is ahead of many other android flagships interms of hardware with 2GB of ram....etc.
    Last edited by Stalemate 1; 09-14-2013 at 02:34 AM.
    09-13-2013 02:51 PM
    Review by a professional photographer...
    Pro Photography: Lumia 1020 vs Xperia Z1 - tbreak

On its own, the Xperia Z1 does make a case for itself as the best Android phone camera. With a decent sized sensor and fast shooting times, the Z1 shows a lot of promise but is let down by the post processing that each image goes through. Hopefully a software update from Sony might be able to fix that down the line.

The Lumia 1020 has the best image quality I’ve seen out of any phone. The bigger sensor helps achieve immense amount detail along with best in class low light performance. With addition of manual controls, it allows you to be creative in ways that weren’t possible before with a phone camera.
    09-13-2013 10:18 PM
    the 1020 and 808 are a different bread all together.

1020 offers a better post processing image, images are not too sharp.
    saw the comparison between 1020 and z1 on tbreak.com , and i'm happy to be with NOKIA.
    09-14-2013 07:27 AM
    Hardware alone the 1020 wins in terms of camera optics. From what I can tell its mostly software. The z1 looks like it tends to overexposed its images, bumps up ISO to be more sensitive to light, where the metering of the 1020 tries to balance it more. Id like to know how they took the photos, what they focused on, how they focused (tap to focus or two stage button), etc. All the pleasing photos I've seen from the z1 has certain areas of overexposure, especially the sky (blue vs white). So IMO Nokia just needs to have some sort of consumer setting (auto mode), tweak it so it pleases the consumer more than the professional/hobbyists.
    09-14-2013 08:13 AM
    The article by GSMArena referencing tbreak's comparison of 1020 vs Z1 was a hit-and-run piece. The author found it fitting to quote an unknown website, without providing his own inputs/comments despite the rather controversial result. And of course, with all the firestorm triggered he happily disabled further comments. Now that tbreak has updated another review, this time done by a professional photographer, concluding the 1020 is FAR BETTER than the Z1, do you think GSMArena is ethical enough to inform its readers about a subsequent update which basically repudiated the original article?

Edited to include links:

Hit-and-run piece by GSMArena:
    Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 shootout surfaces, yields surprising results - GSMArena Blog

Original article by tbreak, cited by GSMArena:
    Camera comparison: Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Sony Xperia Z1 - tbreak

Follow up article by tbreak, repudiating the original article:
    Pro Photography: Lumia 1020 vs Xperia Z1 - tbreak
    09-14-2013 10:03 PM
    Sony knows how to make a good camera. So I wouldn't doubt that it will be good.
    09-14-2013 10:26 PM
    Sony knows how to make a good camera. So I wouldn't doubt that it will be good.
    I disagree. Sony cameras tend to be overhyped. Their previous flagship, Xperia Z's camera was just terrible.
    09-14-2013 10:45 PM
    I have a 920 now (former iphone4s) and I had saw the deal on the older Z and now see the Z1. I kind of want to try it. never having android before I am not sure what I'm getting myself into though. I've always liked Sony gear and the specs look really nice for the Z1. Plus I have tons of Sony Reward points to use so hopefully could get it with a nice discount.

I'm still on the fence though. I love my 920 and the windows phone but a few things disappoint and this Z1 caught my eye.
    If the Z1 is anything like the Z then it is going to be a hugely disappointing phone. My dad wanted a Sony phone to go with his Sony TV so he could play with the integration and I bought the Z for him as a present, I used it for a week (make sure it has no problems during exchange period) as a daily driver in place of my 920 and found the phone, outside of the great physical design (as Sony is famous for, which I would give them such credit), really disappointing. As many sites has already said the Z had a screen with terrible viewing angle, the battery life of the phone is poor (do not believe the hype of Stamina Mode, yes if I turn every smartphone feature off of course I get nice standby time, but as soon as I put apps into the exception list the power is being sucked dry again, the phone really needs a bigger battery), and I do not understand the rationale for making a waterproof phone yet to not include wireless charging (actually I do, so you must buy that overpriced official dock which won't fit a phone with a case on), and I'm afraid with continuous usage those plastic flags covering the ports is going to break thus making the phone no longer waterproof. But alas my father wanted one so I did not talk him out of it. BTW I think the ZR is actually the better value phone if you really want the Xperia line.

Thankfully it seems that Sony has fixed some issues with the Z1, like actually including a huge battery (to power that energy sucking 1080p screen) and also including a physical shutter button (copying WP finally!), but it still doesn't have wireless charging. I'll still be sceptical about the phone though and suggest people don't get sucked into the phone just by its beautiful design like all Sony products.

PS: Before you think I'm biased against Android I have a Nexus 4 and 7 and have been using Android since 2.1 on the Galaxy S
    Last edited by houkoholic; 09-14-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    09-14-2013 11:18 PM
    I disagree. Sony cameras tend to be overhyped. Their previous flagship, Xperia Z's camera was just terrible.
    Ive been using Sony for 20 years and they always have made a better camera in my eyes. I don't know where the overhyped comment comes from? Just watch or read reviews about camera comparisons.
    09-15-2013 10:27 AM
    Sony camera's have been great since they acquired Minolta. They manufacture, arguably, some of the best digital camera sensors currently available. Sony sensors can be found in many hi end dslr's such as those from Nikon, and Pentax. It's rumored that my very own Olympus em-5 houses a sony sensor.

Steve
    09-15-2013 11:31 AM
    Sony camera's have been great since they acquired Minolta. They manufacture, arguably, some of the best digital camera sensors currently available. Sony sensors can be found in many hi end dslr's such as those from Nikon, and Pentax. It's rumored that my very own Olympus em-5 houses a sony sensor.

Steve
    Here we go... Yes, Sony's camera have always been the best.
    So good that Lumia 520 beats the hell outta Xperia Z Ultra.

Here's some photo shootout test. All auto setting
    Nokia Lumia 1020:

Xperia Z Ultra:

Nokia Lumia 925:

Nokia Lumia 520:

iPad Mini:

Nokia Lumia 800:
    09-15-2013 12:22 PM
    I never said, or implied that Sony made the best camera's, I'm not qualified to make that determination. What I did say is that they made a great camera (as does Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, etc, etc.), and "arguably," the best sensors - There's a lot more to a camera than the sensor; the lens is probably just as important, how the camera processes the file/image, etc.

I personally don't care for Sony camera's, but that's just my subjective opinion.

It definitely appears that the Nokia's are outperforming the z in the above photo's. Something interesting is the size difference - The 1020 is 1742kb vs the Z which is a relative lightweight at 221 kb. I guess size (sensor) does matter, hehe.

Steve

Nokia Lumia 1020:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2171/coya.jpg

Xperia Z Ultra:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3585/1qee.jpg

Nokia Lumia 925:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img708/7769/eczc.jpg

Nokia Lumia 520:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img545/1390/ts0v.jpg

iPad Mini:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img196/7559/ggaj.jpg

Nokia Lumia 800:
    http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5447/ixqh.jpg
    Last edited by Desmoface; 09-15-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    09-15-2013 01:18 PM

Nokia Lumia 1020:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2171/coya.jpg

Xperia Z Ultra:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3585/1qee.jpg

Nokia Lumia 925:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img708/7769/eczc.jpg

Nokia Lumia 520:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img545/1390/ts0v.jpg

iPad Mini:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img196/7559/ggaj.jpg

Nokia Lumia 800:
    http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5447/ixqh.jpg
    The article is talking about the z1 which has a 20 mp camera. Not the z ultra which doesn't even have a flash. The z1 isn't released yet.
    09-15-2013 03:29 PM
    Ive been using Sony for 20 years and they always have made a better camera in my eyes. I don't know where the overhyped comment comes from? Just watch or read reviews about camera comparisons.
    Whenever a particular Sony camera is being questioned, in this case the Z1, invariably people come up with excuses like "they've been making good cameras" or "they are the biggest sensor supplier". Basically giving them a free pass without a thorough scrutiny that everyone else goes through.

So when they made that highly suspicious "paid-for independent study" which by coincidence somehow shows the Z1 as the best while the 1020 is somehow the worst in lowlight, you immediately see all the fanboys mocking Nokia whilst saying "Sony knows how to make the best cameras". Yeah right, just look at their previous flagship, the Sony Xperia Z. Isn't that Sony flagship's camera considered the WORST amongst the Nokias, iPhones, the Samsungs, the HTCs, and probably only better than Blackberry Z10? Didn't Sony know how to make the best cameras a few months ago? Weren't they the biggest sensor producer when they released the Xperia Z? Those same confusing marketing jargons were bandied about with the Xperia Z then as they are today - triluminos, bravia, exmor, though "g lens" is new (were they selling inferior lens before this?).
    montsa007 likes this.
    09-16-2013 08:45 AM
    Whenever a particular Sony camera is being questioned, in this case the Z1, invariably people come up with excuses like "they've been making good cameras" or "they are the biggest sensor supplier". Basically giving them a free pass without a thorough scrutiny that everyone else goes through.

So when they made that highly suspicious "paid-for independent study" which by coincidence somehow shows the Z1 as the best while the 1020 is somehow the worst in lowlight, you immediately see all the fanboys mocking Nokia whilst saying "Sony knows how to make the best cameras". Yeah right, just look at their previous flagship, the Sony Xperia Z. Isn't that Sony flagship's camera considered the WORST amongst the Nokias, iPhones, the Samsungs, the HTCs, and probably only better than Blackberry Z10? Didn't Sony know how to make the best cameras a few months ago? Weren't they the biggest sensor producer when they released the Xperia Z? Those same confusing marketing jargons were bandied about with the Xperia Z then as they are today - triluminos, bravia, exmor, though "g lens" is new (were they selling inferior lens before this?).
    IM not talking about phone cameras. The Lumia 1020 and the z1 are real camera technology put into phones. You can draw up conspiracies and fanboyisms all day. Sony has been making public pleasing cameras for a very long time. Now its subjective whether you like the Z1's to the Nokia's camera. I like the Nokia's but more than likely I will be in the minority. Nokia has and probably always will put great camera technology into their products.
    09-16-2013 12:07 PM
88 1234