Sony Experia Z1 vs Lumia 1020 - Z1 Better?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Imo the z1 is an awesome choice for Android, though I'd recommend you just check out (not purchase-just have a look at) the moto x before you buy. Both these devices have their strengths and weaknesses. The moto x comes with the latest Android features but has mid range hardware where as the z1 is ahead of many other android flagships interms of hardware with 2GB of ram....etc.

Last edited:

deepu424

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Review by a professional photographer...
Pro Photography: Lumia 1020 vs Xperia Z1 - tbreak

On its own, the Xperia Z1 does make a case for itself as the best Android phone camera. With a decent sized sensor and fast shooting times, the Z1 shows a lot of promise but is let down by the post processing that each image goes through. Hopefully a software update from Sony might be able to fix that down the line.

The Lumia 1020 has the best image quality I’ve seen out of any phone. The bigger sensor helps achieve immense amount detail along with best in class low light performance. With addition of manual controls, it allows you to be creative in ways that weren’t possible before with a phone camera.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
the 1020 and 808 are a different bread all together.

1020 offers a better post processing image, images are not too sharp.
saw the comparison between 1020 and z1 on tbreak.com , and i'm happy to be with NOKIA.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hardware alone the 1020 wins in terms of camera optics. From what I can tell its mostly software. The z1 looks like it tends to overexposed its images, bumps up ISO to be more sensitive to light, where the metering of the 1020 tries to balance it more. Id like to know how they took the photos, what they focused on, how they focused (tap to focus or two stage button), etc. All the pleasing photos I've seen from the z1 has certain areas of overexposure, especially the sky (blue vs white). So IMO Nokia just needs to have some sort of consumer setting (auto mode), tweak it so it pleases the consumer more than the professional/hobbyists.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The article by GSMArena referencing tbreak's comparison of 1020 vs Z1 was a hit-and-run piece. The author found it fitting to quote an unknown website, without providing his own inputs/comments despite the rather controversial result. And of course, with all the firestorm triggered he happily disabled further comments. Now that tbreak has updated another review, this time done by a professional photographer, concluding the 1020 is FAR BETTER than the Z1, do you think GSMArena is ethical enough to inform its readers about a subsequent update which basically repudiated the original article?

Edited to include links:

Hit-and-run piece by GSMArena:
Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 shootout surfaces, yields surprising results - GSMArena Blog

Original article by tbreak, cited by GSMArena:
Camera comparison: Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Sony Xperia Z1 - tbreak

Follow up article by tbreak, repudiating the original article:
Pro Photography: Lumia 1020 vs Xperia Z1 - tbreak

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 now (former iphone4s) and I had saw the deal on the older Z and now see the Z1. I kind of want to try it. never having android before I am not sure what I'm getting myself into though. I've always liked Sony gear and the specs look really nice for the Z1. Plus I have tons of Sony Reward points to use so hopefully could get it with a nice discount.

I'm still on the fence though. I love my 920 and the windows phone but a few things disappoint and this Z1 caught my eye.

If the Z1 is anything like the Z then it is going to be a hugely disappointing phone. My dad wanted a Sony phone to go with his Sony TV so he could play with the integration and I bought the Z for him as a present, I used it for a week (make sure it has no problems during exchange period) as a daily driver in place of my 920 and found the phone, outside of the great physical design (as Sony is famous for, which I would give them such credit), really disappointing. As many sites has already said the Z had a screen with terrible viewing angle, the battery life of the phone is poor (do not believe the hype of Stamina Mode, yes if I turn every smartphone feature off of course I get nice standby time, but as soon as I put apps into the exception list the power is being sucked dry again, the phone really needs a bigger battery), and I do not understand the rationale for making a waterproof phone yet to not include wireless charging (actually I do, so you must buy that overpriced official dock which won't fit a phone with a case on), and I'm afraid with continuous usage those plastic flags covering the ports is going to break thus making the phone no longer waterproof. But alas my father wanted one so I did not talk him out of it. BTW I think the ZR is actually the better value phone if you really want the Xperia line.

Thankfully it seems that Sony has fixed some issues with the Z1, like actually including a huge battery (to power that energy sucking 1080p screen) and also including a physical shutter button (copying WP finally!), but it still doesn't have wireless charging. I'll still be sceptical about the phone though and suggest people don't get sucked into the phone just by its beautiful design like all Sony products.

PS: Before you think I'm biased against Android I have a Nexus 4 and 7 and have been using Android since 2.1 on the Galaxy S

Last edited:

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I disagree. Sony cameras tend to be overhyped. Their previous flagship, Xperia Z's camera was just terrible.

Ive been using Sony for 20 years and they always have made a better camera in my eyes. I don't know where the overhyped comment comes from? Just watch or read reviews about camera comparisons.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Sony camera's have been great since they acquired Minolta. They manufacture, arguably, some of the best digital camera sensors currently available. Sony sensors can be found in many hi end dslr's such as those from Nikon, and Pentax. It's rumored that my very own Olympus em-5 houses a sony sensor.

Steve

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Sony camera's have been great since they acquired Minolta. They manufacture, arguably, some of the best digital camera sensors currently available. Sony sensors can be found in many hi end dslr's such as those from Nikon, and Pentax. It's rumored that my very own Olympus em-5 houses a sony sensor.

Steve

Here we go... Yes, Sony's camera have always been the best.
So good that Lumia 520 beats the hell outta Xperia Z Ultra.

Here's some photo shootout test. All auto setting
Nokia Lumia 1020:
coya.jpg

Xperia Z Ultra:
1qee.jpg

Nokia Lumia 925:
eczc.jpg

Nokia Lumia 520:
ts0v.jpg

iPad Mini:
ggaj.jpg

Nokia Lumia 800:
ixqh.jpg

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I never said, or implied that Sony made the best camera's, I'm not qualified to make that determination. What I did say is that they made a great camera (as does Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, etc, etc.), and "arguably," the best sensors - There's a lot more to a camera than the sensor; the lens is probably just as important, how the camera processes the file/image, etc.

I personally don't care for Sony camera's, but that's just my subjective opinion.

It definitely appears that the Nokia's are outperforming the z in the above photo's. Something interesting is the size difference - The 1020 is 1742kb vs the Z which is a relative lightweight at 221 kb. I guess size (sensor) does matter, hehe.

Steve

Nokia Lumia 1020:
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2171/coya.jpg

Xperia Z Ultra:
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3585/1qee.jpg

Nokia Lumia 925:
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/7769/eczc.jpg

Nokia Lumia 520:
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/1390/ts0v.jpg

iPad Mini:
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/7559/ggaj.jpg

Nokia Lumia 800:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5447/ixqh.jpg

Last edited:

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Nokia Lumia 1020:
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/2171/coya.jpg

Xperia Z Ultra:
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/3585/1qee.jpg

Nokia Lumia 925:
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/7769/eczc.jpg

Nokia Lumia 520:
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/1390/ts0v.jpg

iPad Mini:
http://imageshack.us/a/img196/7559/ggaj.jpg

Nokia Lumia 800:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5447/ixqh.jpg

The article is talking about the z1 which has a 20 mp camera. Not the z ultra which doesn't even have a flash. The z1 isn't released yet.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ive been using Sony for 20 years and they always have made a better camera in my eyes. I don't know where the overhyped comment comes from? Just watch or read reviews about camera comparisons.

Whenever a particular Sony camera is being questioned, in this case the Z1, invariably people come up with excuses like "they've been making good cameras" or "they are the biggest sensor supplier". Basically giving them a free pass without a thorough scrutiny that everyone else goes through.

So when they made that highly suspicious "paid-for independent study" which by coincidence somehow shows the Z1 as the best while the 1020 is somehow the worst in lowlight, you immediately see all the fanboys mocking Nokia whilst saying "Sony knows how to make the best cameras". Yeah right, just look at their previous flagship, the Sony Xperia Z. Isn't that Sony flagship's camera considered the WORST amongst the Nokias, iPhones, the Samsungs, the HTCs, and probably only better than Blackberry Z10? Didn't Sony know how to make the best cameras a few months ago? Weren't they the biggest sensor producer when they released the Xperia Z? Those same confusing marketing jargons were bandied about with the Xperia Z then as they are today - triluminos, bravia, exmor, though "g lens" is new (were they selling inferior lens before this?).

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Whenever a particular Sony camera is being questioned, in this case the Z1, invariably people come up with excuses like "they've been making good cameras" or "they are the biggest sensor supplier". Basically giving them a free pass without a thorough scrutiny that everyone else goes through.

So when they made that highly suspicious "paid-for independent study" which by coincidence somehow shows the Z1 as the best while the 1020 is somehow the worst in lowlight, you immediately see all the fanboys mocking Nokia whilst saying "Sony knows how to make the best cameras". Yeah right, just look at their previous flagship, the Sony Xperia Z. Isn't that Sony flagship's camera considered the WORST amongst the Nokias, iPhones, the Samsungs, the HTCs, and probably only better than Blackberry Z10? Didn't Sony know how to make the best cameras a few months ago? Weren't they the biggest sensor producer when they released the Xperia Z? Those same confusing marketing jargons were bandied about with the Xperia Z then as they are today - triluminos, bravia, exmor, though "g lens" is new (were they selling inferior lens before this?).

IM not talking about phone cameras. The Lumia 1020 and the z1 are real camera technology put into phones. You can draw up conspiracies and fanboyisms all day. Sony has been making public pleasing cameras for a very long time. Now its subjective whether you like the Z1's to the Nokia's camera. I like the Nokia's but more than likely I will be in the minority. Nokia has and probably always will put great camera technology into their products.

EvilFiek

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Sony have now gone out publicly with some FUD regarding the 1020. In fact, they are advertising heavily in the UK that the Z1 has the best smartphone camera they back that claim by having some research conducted, comparing the Z1 with the 1020, 925, iPhone 5, S4 and HTC One. You can see the pictures and the results of the participant group here:Xperia
Guess what? 1020 is the worst of the bunch by a massive margin! Not only worse than the Z1, but also worse than the 925, HTC One, S4 and iPhone 5. And even worse: on the basis of the comparison pictures, that's probably a fair assessment.

However, owning the 1020 I have to contest those results. I've had the phone for about a week now (and I had the 925 for several months before that), have been using it lots to take pictures and I can't even imagine how you are supposed to produce results of such mediocre quality. As an example, having set everything on auto, I can catch a car moving at a decent speed with no blur. Even if I don't give the phone time to focus properly, I still get no blur. The picture they've taken of a model train (which is moving far slower than a car) looks like something my HD7 would have produced, but not my Lumia 1020. I am scratching my head how they came up with those "1020 pictures". Defective unit, old software maybe? Or somebody behind the camera too incompetent to press the camera button properly?

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
IM not talking about phone cameras. The Lumia 1020 and the z1 are real camera technology put into phones. You can draw up conspiracies and fanboyisms all day. Sony has been making public pleasing cameras for a very long time. Now its subjective whether you like the Z1's to the Nokia's camera. I like the Nokia's but more than likely I will be in the minority. Nokia has and probably always will put great camera technology into their products.

A camera's a camera. When Sony releases the Xperia Z, especially with a tagline like "the best of Sony", it puts its reputation on the line. No point arguing whether the Xperia Z is a "phone camera" or Xperia Z1 is a "real camera". Both are Sony's flagship smartphones (of which Z1 is the successor). When the Xperia Z's camera is worst-in-class, it damages Sony's brand.

My point in bringing up the Z is to provide a counter-example to the mantra that "Sony makes great cameras" that its fanboys like to bring up no matter what the situation.

Latest example: When GSMArena quotes some unknown website (tbreak), showing blurry photos from 1020 and much better quality from Z. It doesn't matter if there was smudge on the 1020's lens, rather than expressing cautious skepticism, Sony-sheeple swamped the forums, nearly all saying the same thing:"move aside Nokia, Sony KNOWS HOW TO MAKE GREAT CAMERAS". Of course we now know the opposite is true after that website published an updated comparison done by a professional photographer. Too bad GSMArena conveniently closed the forum to spare these sheeple the embarrassment.

When Sony released that suspicious "paid-for independent study" showing 1020's image to be totally under-exposed, while the Z1 was the only one correctly exposed, again the Sony-sheeple came out in full force with that tired old mantra "Sony makes great cameras".

Nevermind that the 1020's images are strangely at odds with what is generally known about the device. Come on, with max ISO up to 4000, OIS, max shutter speed at 4 seconds (reasonably hand-holdable up to 0.5 - 1 second), aperture at f2.2, and that black image is all this "independent reviewer" can do? There are so many ways that such studies can be manipulated. Especially if financial motives are involved, after all, that so-called independent company must be aware that if their study shows 1020 being the best and Z1 being the worst, that study will (obviously) never be published, right? Heck, even I can make a DSLR look bad if I wanted to. Oh darn, my fingers just stained my DSLR lens! If you think that company won't risk its reputation, just bing that company's name, apparently they've been involved in some controversies before. And there is no consequence for dishonesty in the Age of Sheep, where emotional buying takes precedence over rationality, where lies if repeated many times get accepted as the truth, and when that dishonesty is eventually exposed it doesn't matter anymore because everybody is distracted by the next new exciting tech news.

Sony's sheeple mentality is nearly as entrenched as those from Apple's. It makes a broad assumption that Sony used to make good cameras therefore every camera made by Sony must be good. Sony supplies sensors to many camera manufacturers therefore it must have the best camera.

The obvious problem is, if Sony supplies sensors to Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, then why was Xperia Z's camera worse than all of them? Was it because Sony sold the best sensors to competitors and reserved the worst ones for its own cameras? Hmm maybe that makes perfect sense considering its fanbase mentality.....

I'm not saying Sony doesn't make good cameras. I'm only objecting to the hype-to-quality ratio which is disproportionately high for Sony which results in fanboys making broad statements (variations of "Sony makes good cameras/sensors") without applying critical thinking. If a study is flawed, it is flawed period, don't cover it up by saying "Sony does make good cameras". I have a less charitable view of Sony's "paid-for independent study" - to me, that study, cloaked by semblance of independence and analytical seriousness, is potentially downright dishonest, borderline fraudulent, and it makes me question Sony's integrity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon