Another bad cnet review of the 1020

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
"time for a torture test of the Nokia Lumia 1020" was as much of the video I care to watch. I saw this same tortured looking "half man / half wilder-beast" review the 1020 when it hit the street. She used taking pictures of bubbles from a bubble machine to demonstrate how the Nokia 1020 was lacking. Face it, we will never make the grade with everyone. Technology does what it does. But, if you want to take real shots of your family, events, vacation, etc. between the iphone that the wilder-beast likes and the 1020, its the 1020 all day long.
Oh and dropping a smart phone on the ground to prove that glass breaks must be ground breaking news to CNET. Wait till they discover companies like OTTERBOX exist. They're heads is sure to explode. lol.

Actually, the 1020 survived being dropped multiple times on a gravel road, and you could tell they were really trying to ensure its death. Hell, water and grape-juice got knocked out when they dropped it, because they hadn't dried it out from the previous test yet. This is a tough little trouper, I want to see this same test done to an iPhone, I suspect their precious idol won't fare as well as the the mighty Nokia.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I swear, Molly Wood probably wept like a baby and tore out her hair when Steve Jobs died. She probably has a shrine devoted to all things Apple in the closet of her house. Her obsession towards apple and hatred for anything non-apple borders on religious zealotry.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
For a second there, I didn't know which forum I was on LOL. CNET rage here as well?

It didn't alter my appreciation of the platform...

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
What is amazing is that she tried hard to break it. She didn't think that it would survive the berry test, but it did turn on and touch screen was also working after that.
Even after throwing 3-4 times, she was forced to say that there was hardly any physical damage.
Though I won't be surprised that they actually didn't soak it in rice or tried to dry it though they claim that they did so for several weeks.
That's the part, I doubt they are dishonest.
Reason: If it was working after the water test, then it should have been working after drying test unless it died after drop test, but they actually didn't show if they tried turning
on after drop test.
So, there is obvious bias, but still she was not able to troll 1020 the way she would have liked. :)

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I AM GETTING SICK OF CNET'S BIASED REVIEWS. They did a torture test on the 1020 so they soaked it in blueberries like you were making wine instead of water damage and stepped on it, and the to get the blueberries off they soaked it really well in water! WTF!!
YOU NEED TO WATCH THE VIDEO
Always On - Crushing the Lumia 1020 - YouTube

Where does CNET get their ideas for that test ? None of its practical.

At most for the water and liquid test I would have put it in the pocket of jeans or any pants and leave it in the rain. (at most the pants would get soaked but its nothing close to pure water. (this imitates if it would survive in your pocket if you got soaked in a thunder storm) if I felt really horrible I'd leave it in heavy rain for an hour or two (at least this shows if you are safe using your phone in the rain)

Drop test: phone would fall from chest hight (how much higher do you hold the phone ? Also who in the world throws their phone ? If someone gets hit buy a car and the phone flys out of their pocket, I'm pretty sure the phone is the least of their concerns-making throwing the phone a pointless impractical test)

I only know of one phone that could survive that (nokia 3310- fell in pools, toilets and ran perfectly) oh and there's the entire range of Sony's waterproof handsets as well...those are the only handsets that should qualify for a test like that.

Cache

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 1020 with imaging grip installed fell off a shelf onto a concrete floor from at least 5', not even a scratch. I've also dropped it at least a dozen times from lower heights, still looks and works like it is brand new. Real world use, real world results. Looking forward to the 8.1 update. A TD Bank app would be nice too.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 1020 with imaging grip installed fell off a shelf onto a concrete floor from at least 5', not even a scratch. I've also dropped it at least a dozen times from lower heights, still looks and works like it is brand new. Real world use, real world results. Looking forward to the 8.1 update. A TD Bank app would be nice too.

While I can attest to the durability of the 1020, be wary of those corners. The device is pretty tough and resilient, but the corners are its weak spot. I managed to crack on by dropping it (accidentally, of course) in a parking lot, right on the top left corner.

It's a tough little thing, but those corners can kill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes