Access to DNG/RAW photos

MS_DOS_3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
DNG photos are RAW images, not meant to be accessed by those services. Digital negative allows you to define the settings and basically "develop" your digital photo.

You can rename your 34 MP .jpg, then access that via those services.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I understand what they are, but why just because they are DNG/RAW would we not want to have the ability to email them somewhere straight from the device?

You have to rename them from a PC, correct? Kind of pointless if that's the case, ya know?

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
...why just because they are DNG/RAW would we not want to have the ability to email them somewhere straight from the device?

You have to rename them from a PC, correct? Kind of pointless if that's the case, ya know?

While I agree that it would be good to have more flexibility with DNGs overall, trying to send a 41MP DNG via email probably isn't going to work for most users anyways. The file size is roughly 40MB, which far exceeds (most) email services maximum file attachment size. Even if your mail provider allows 50MB (like mail.com), most recipients, like those on Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, will just bounce the message back.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that it would be good to have more flexibility with DNGs overall, trying to send a 41MP DNG via email probably isn't going to work for most users anyways. The file size is roughly 40MB, which far exceeds (most) email services maximum file attachment size. Even if your mail provider allows 50MB (like mail.com), most recipients, like those on Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, will just bounce the message back.

Definitely true - but you never know. I think the access to these files will come in 8.1 when there will apparently be some form of File Manager. At that point, it will also likely be easier to upload them to SkyDrive and share the link straight from your phone.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Good point. Totally forgot about email file size limitations.