camera quality

ArmedandDangerous

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
No, the concept is not similar at all. HTC basically said OK, cameras have been going from 1MP to 3MP to 5MP to 8MP to 13/16MP, let's step back to where we were a few years ago and settle at 4MP.

Nokia started by using a large sensor (4x larger than others) with high resolution to enable a reasonable zooming capability. If zooming or reframing is not required then the pixels are combined to create a cleaner and sharper image.

The approach is fundamentally different and I believe HTC's is sadly fundamentally flawed as many reviews have panned its camera performance. It's not even on par with the iPhones and Galaxies, let alone the 1020 or 1520. They have betted on the false premise that how you slice a cake can make a big difference in image quality while Nokia simply uses a larger cake.

You are intentionally not including further information on HTC's choices to go with the 4MP route. No, the HTC One does not oversample like the Lumia 1020, but it does have bigger photosites which DOES make a very big difference in the amount of light being captured. Almost nothing touches the HTC One in low light, it's the brightly lit areas where the HTC One is most weak at. It has terrible dynamic range with blown highlights and washed out blacks. Two phones good at two different things. The 1020 doesn't hold a candle to the HTC One's low-light performance while the HTC One can only dream of resolving as much detail as the 1020.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You are intentionally not including further information on HTC's choices to go with the 4MP route. No, the HTC One does not oversample like the Lumia 1020, but it does have bigger photosites which DOES make a very big difference in the amount of light being captured.

Oh, I think I've covered HTC One's 4MP camera pretty well. As I said, we have progressed from 1MP to 4MP to 8MP to 16MP, and HTC just decided to wind the clock a few years back to 4MP. Don't get too caught up with the "Ultrapixel" BS, in fact, the iPhone 4 already had a revolutionary Ultrapixel camera 3 years ago with their 5MP camera on a 1/3.2" BSI sensor, before they wisely threw out their i-Ultrapixel technology in the iPhone 4S's 8MP camera. If you are interested in numbers, the HTC One's pixel size of 2 microns is barely larger than iPhone 4's 1.75 micron, 3 years ago.

Another trivia: Nokia N95's 5MP camera had pixel size of 2.2 microns, 6 years ago.

Almost nothing touches the HTC One in low light, it's the brightly lit areas where the HTC One is most weak at. It has terrible dynamic range with blown highlights and washed out blacks. Two phones good at two different things. The 1020 doesn't hold a candle to the HTC One's low-light performance while the HTC One can only dream of resolving as much detail as the 1020.

The 1020 is not meant to shoot at full resolution (except for reframing/zooming purposes). By default it is downsampled to 5MP (i.e., effective pixel size of 3.2 microns) which produces very good images at lowlight.

David Dawson1

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Great replie guys really appreciate it.

Just one last question......
The nokia 1020 save s 2 pics.the 5 mp one that i can see and email and share or the 34mp i can see on pc.
If i was happy with the 5mp one and didnt want to zoom in .is there a way it could look better if i shared the 34mp
One instead or wouodnit look the same in quality.u know sharing on facebook or websites or printing off
Say postcard size.

Or is the 34 mp pic just there so i can zoom in to different parts and then have to save to 5mp
Thats whats really confusing me most. I allways like to have or use the best of what i have.so when i rent
A movie from the local store it will be blueray.i have normal dvd but why would i watch that when in
Also have a blueray player.if the picture was the same quality id use the cheaper dvd player.

Hope that makes some sense

Thx

Dave

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There is no way to use the 38mp file from the phone to post to Facebook. If you put it on your computer and used that as the picture to post to Facebook I don't think it would look any better. Facebook will scale the picture anyway to be within their parameters and size.

Your best bet would be to save the Hi-resolution images to SkyDrive and set it to public view and then post the link on Facebook for everyone to view that way.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

The nokia 1020 save s 2 pics.the 5 mp one that i can see and email and share or the 34mp i can see on pc.
If i was happy with the 5mp one and didnt want to zoom in .is there a way it could look better if i shared the 34mp
One instead or wouodnit look the same in quality.u know sharing on facebook or websites or printing off
Say postcard size.

Or is the 34 mp pic just there so i can zoom in to different parts and then have to save to 5mp
Thats whats really confusing me most. I allways like to have or use the best of what i have.so when i rent
A movie from the local store it will be blueray.i have normal dvd but why would i watch that when in
Also have a blueray player.if the picture was the same quality id use the cheaper dvd player.

Thx

Dave

I think there's a bit of confusion about what exactly is going on inside of your phone's camera and software.
The phone has a 41MP sensor (38MP usable.) When you take a photo, it uses that large sensor to take the shot. It then creates and over-sampled shot in 5MP, which is much smaller in size, but delivers the same image. On your phone, the 5MP and the 38MP photo will look identical. The benefit of the photo that isn't oversampled to 5MP is editing. Every time you save a JPEG, you lose quality. Try it for yourself: Pick a photo, then open it up in Nokia Creative Studio. Barely alter the image (Clarity, Brightness, etc.) and save it. Do this over and over and you'll notice that the quality gets lost more and more with every save. The larger 38MP photo is less prone to this when you initially edit the photo, because it isn't an oversampled image like the 5MP. If you really want to stack up on quality control, you can use the new RAW feature issued in Nokia Black's Firmware update, which lets you shoot photos that are un-processed all together, allowing you to edit them without any loss of quality. These photos, in comparison, are 4-5 times larger than the 38MP JPEG photo. By comparison, the 38MP is also vastly larger than the 5MP. Starting to see a pattern here?

In short, the photos you view that are 5MP are not made for editing, but for sharing. The 38MP can be edited without sacrificing too much quality, and the RAW photos are made for post-processing and sacrifice no quality. I hope this information helps.

headphoneus

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Thx

Dave

There is only way you can email 38mp/34mp photos directly from your phone.

click a 38mp picture with 1shot

1Shot | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Share it with HD Photo Viewer app.

HD Photo Viewer | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Done! You get the best quality with this. No PC needed.

You may try to send it to your Facebook email. I don't use Facebook, so I am not sure.

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

Say postcard size.

Thx

Dave

A simple clear explanation of 5MP vs 38MP:

5MP: For general use: Displaying on a TV, Wallpaper, printing family photos, sharing to Facebook/Twitter etc.

reason: 5MP is really big enough for general viewing, it's an even higher resolution than any TV. Viewing a much bigger image may actually "overload" displays and make TVs or websites like Facebook compress the 38MP, and they don't use a good technique of compressing, whereas the 5MP compression uses oversampling to make the picture nicer even in a small form.

38MP: For editing: zooming in on the photo, adding effects on the photo

reason: there is a little compression every time you edit a photo, so it's best to edit and zoom on the 38MP photo so the compression from editing will not show as much. (a few small edits should be fine for the 5MP, but use the 38MP for heavy edits.)

Hope it helped!

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dav,

I don't think there is a voice activated capture right now, but there is a timer for Pro Cam. Just click on the 3 small dots on the bottom right and click timer, then choose how long you want the timer to be. Also you can use the camera on the front (which is not as good) by pressing the same 3 dots and then "front-facing".

Because it is 34mp, you can zoom in a bit without making the picture blurry and unclear, but it is not a normal camera that has moving lens, so you cannot zoom in too much like normal camera.

Good luck!

There is a voice command capture on an app named 4Blend HDR. Better try it now while it's free. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon