Case or no case?

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
After a post under another section of this forum, I'm absolutely sold on a Lumia and almost entirely sure it will be the 1020.

With all of my other phones/devices in the past and present (iPhone 3Gs, 4s, Kindle Fire HDX), I've found the OtterBox Defender Series to be the closest thing to bulletproofing your gadgets.

The payoff is protection. The tradeoff is convenience.
Once that Defender is on, it's not very quick (or fun) to remove.

The fact that I'm getting this really nice phone that has a 41mp camera really puts me in the mood to get the Nokia PD-95G so I can have a little fun with it.

Of course I don't plan on switching between Defender and the PD-95G often because it would be a real PITA.

So I guess the question is, do I really NEED a case for the 1020?

I know these are supposed to be tough phones and have a Gorilla Glass screen. My experience with Nokia phones (pre-smartphones) was that they were always solid construction and they survived just about any drops to the ground I would accidentally subject them to.

Do the rest of you use Otterbox Defenders?
Nokia PD-95G?
Some lesser but easier to put on and take off case? (links if you have them please)
No case at all?

Thank you!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I had the 1020 for 3 months or so and dropped it on numerous occasions without issues. I had a wireless charging case. I got the 1520 and gave the 1020 to my wife. About 2 weeks in she dropped it and shattered the screen. We had to pay the $200 deductible to get it replaced. It really just depends on what you do with your device. If you are in rough environments or drop your device often get the Otterbox. Just the right drop will shatter your screen.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Whether you need a case its your own preference. No one here can tell you what you really likes, and as you said "The payoff is protection. The tradeoff is convenience." - there will be gives and takes.

For the camera grip, get it. It isn't really a CASE per se. PD-95G is more closer to a camera extension than a case. With it, your 1020 really becomes a full-fledged compact camera with the tripod mount and shutter button, plus it gives additional battery juice.
THE COST: You will be carrying a really huge and bulky camera if you plans to attach it wherever you go. Unless you are going to mount tripod anywhere you go, you will get sick of its bulkiness affecting your daily life.
If extra battery is the reason you plans to use it daily, i'll suggest you go for mobile (portable) chargers / power banks instead. These gives more power and release you from holding a camera everyday. Charging is done via a cable, allowing you to leave your charger in your pockets or bag.

For the Otterbox Defenders, you can use it for daily protection. As you've said to get it or not depends on your choice of 'protection' or 'convenience'.

I have a soft case, camera grip, wireless charging case. The soft case is on my 1020 for daily protection.
When I know I will be taking lots of photos for the day, mounting my mini tripod, or going overseas I simply swap it for the grip until the events are over. Then i'll return to my soft case for daily life.

Hope this helps.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
After a post under another section of this forum, I'm absolutely sold on a Lumia and almost entirely sure it will be the 1020.

With all of my other phones/devices in the past and present (iPhone 3Gs, 4s, Kindle Fire HDX), I've found the OtterBox Defender Series to be the closest thing to bulletproofing your gadgets.

The payoff is protection. The tradeoff is convenience.
Once that Defender is on, it's not very quick (or fun) to remove.

The fact that I'm getting this really nice phone that has a 41mp camera really puts me in the mood to get the Nokia PD-95G so I can have a little fun with it.

Of course I don't plan on switching between Defender and the PD-95G often because it would be a real PITA.

So I guess the question is, do I really NEED a case for the 1020?

I know these are supposed to be tough phones and have a Gorilla Glass screen. My experience with Nokia phones (pre-smartphones) was that they were always solid construction and they survived just about any drops to the ground I would accidentally subject them to.

Do the rest of you use Otterbox Defenders?
Nokia PD-95G?
Some lesser but easier to put on and take off case? (links if you have them please)
No case at all?

Thank you!

With my Lumia 900 I have a simple floppy plastic case that I use mainly to add some thickness to my phone, but other than that, I never really needed a case. I've mentioned this before in your other thread, but I've dropped it a few times without a case on from several usual accidental phone drop heights without anything happening to it. So while you don't really need a case, you'd be fine with just the pd-95g, especially since it adds more battery life to your phone in addition to protecting it from barely noticeable scratches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon