Get the 1020 or wait?

jevel

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I was in your shoes a few weeks back and went with the 1020 simply because of the size and the price.

Got a nice deal on the 1020 and paid just shy of US $500 unlocked and without contract. The 1520 would be at least US $300 more, which I feel it was not worth.

If you have used a phone in the 1520's size class and feel it could be something you could use _and_ the price is comparable, I would really consider the 1520. But if you can get a good deal on the 1020, you really can't go wrong.

The battery is much better than I expected from the reviews I read before buying it.

Good luck in making your choice.

-KJ

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I would say to get a used 1020. The prices are phenomenal 300-350 and if you regret it, there really isn't much of a loss as you can easily resell it for close to what you paid for.

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I was on the fence about buying the 1520 or 1020, but settled on the 1520. Judging by the specs 1020, seems to be similar to the 920 (other than the camera).

So if camera is not important then get the 1520, which also has a very very good camera @ 20mp. Remember most phones have a camera of around 8-13mp, so I think 20mp should be better than the rest. Only issue though is the size, but you get used to it very fast.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, but if the 1520 is too big for you, which I can absolutely understand since the 1020 is almost too large for my taste, and you don't really care about the camera: Why not get a 925? It's basicly the 1020 with a different housing and camera. At leat around here the 925 is much cheaper than the big camera Lumia.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Seeing as there has been literally zero mention of Windows Phone 8.1 bringing 64 bit support: it's going to be a really long time before we seeing any Windows Phone devices running on 64 bit processors.

Besides, 64 bit is mostly marketing hype considering that (at the moment): no mobile OS actually takes advantage of the benefits it offers. Don't get me wrong, 64bit IS the future. However, we're still a few years off from its advantages actually being realized. As such, 64bit is far from a make-or-break feature, at least for now.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Same. Battery is better on the 1020 than it was on the 920 for me.

My 1020 is a battery champion: I love to brag about how good its battery is! I don't know what those other busy are doing wrong, because even when I take no consideration to preserving the device's battery (I.E: I leave BT, WiFi, LTE, push email, etc. on always), I still easily get at least 20 hours of battery. And I can effortlessly go through 12 hours of snapping pics (so long as I don't leave the screen turned on between shots). All this, and we haven't even gotten to the battery grip's boost yet.

So either they've got defective batteries, or they're always on their devices, sucking juice. That, or maybe I'm rocking the Super Battery Edition? :p

tejedor1967

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
My guess is the battery drains while doing pictures because the Xenon flash. I think that even when you set the flash off as default (like me), every time you open the camera app load the Xenon flash just in case... maybe even between pictures. To load the Xenon flash is quite an amount of electricity.

That is my guess. What I don't know (if this is true) is if Nokia is aware of this.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My guess is the battery drains while doing pictures because the Xenon flash. I think that even when you set the flash off as default (like me), every time you open the camera app load the Xenon flash just in case... maybe even between pictures. To load the Xenon flash is quite an amount of electricity.

That is my guess. What I don't know (if this is true) is if Nokia is aware of this.

That seems like a very logical explanation. It dies indeed take quite a lot to get the Xenon flash ready to fire, so it does seem possible that's what's going on. I personally have my phone set to know flash. After all, even the best mobile flash should only be used in the most dire of times. I personally prefer just to use a longer shutter when I need to take low light photos, and/or increase the exposure.

Braini4c

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
hmm maybe i will just buy the 1020 to have a play with it and if nokia dose bring something big out i will sell the 1020 and buy it. I Just hope the 1020 is not slow for me as i have always had quad core phone.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
hmm maybe i will just buy the 1020 to have a play with it and if nokia dose bring something big out i will sell the 1020 and buy it. I Just hope the 1020 is not slow for me as i have always had quad core phone.

The 1020 is by no means a slough. It runs Windows Phone buttery smooth, no lag. One thing you must remember: Windows Phone is an extremely lightweight and heavily optimized operating system. So unlike Android, where quad core is practically a must just to get smooth performance, the 1020 manages to deliver a great user experience, even on its "low" specs.

neonspark

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
what are you waiting for? If you're hoping for a 1020s with snap dragon 800 and a faster response time ...don't hold your breath. Nokia would have made this. Micronokia? not so sure.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would say wait four more weeks. We're super close to the launch of WP8.1 which will probably come with at least one new flagship device. I think we can expect something of the size of a 1020 but with better CPU, and who knows, maybe LCD, SD card and built-in wireless charging.

Edit: this is coming from a very happy owner of a 1020
price is now ?377 on amazon uk simfree. ?200 off launch price. perhaps something newer is just around the corner as above

Braini4c

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I went to the phone store and checked out the lumia 1020 and i could not notice any speed difference between it and my s4 although i did perfect the live tiles on the lumia 1520. I think i might just hold of and wait for Nokia to bring something out but i am starting to think they not bring anything out till after the new iPhone.

ypi

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Successor for 1020 coming soon? I find it highly unlikely. We'll probably see a successor for 925 first. Releasing another cameraphone in such a small time frame seems to be very hard.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i feel being an amoled screen, the amount of white or light background screen usage will impact the battery most next to the amount of camera usage. so time spent browsing the web (which has primarily light backgrounds) or for me currently, using facebook messenger (i really wish it had a dark background option) will drain the battery fairly quickly. had the same issue with my note 3. standby or even use of the phone with the screen off (for me it was streaming music while at work) is stellar on the 1020.

personally, i would wait until after build. i had the 1520 and while it is a stellar device, it was simply too large for practical use (for me) i miss the 1080p screen from it and from my nexus 5 now that the 1020 is my daily driver. but if you can snag one for the 300-350 range they are going for used, it's got an amazing camera that no one has yet to match.

that being said, a gsm variant of the icon would be my perfect windows phone (with sd support added) and i would snap it up in an instant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon