Bought a used Lumia 1020, tried updating it, now stuck at BSOD loop.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
So I just bought a Lumia 1020 which was in perfect condition and worked fine. I tried to applied the latest WP update.. On power up I see the ATT logo then it goes into a blue screen and just turns off after about 20 seconds. I've tried doing a hard reset by using power + down key and then doing the Vol. up, down. power. down. (or whatever the combination is). It goes to a spinning gears logo, and then reboots and rinse repeat.

This is exactly why I sold my first Lumia. I kept running into random WP issues.

Last edited:

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
So I just bought a Lumia 1020 which was in perfect condition and worked fine. I tried to applied the latest WP update.. On power up I see the ATT logo then it goes into a blue screen and just turns off after about 20 seconds. I've tried doing a hard reset by using power + down key and then doing the Vol. up, down. power. down. (or whatever the combination is).

This is exactly why I sold my first Lumia. I kept running into random WP issues.

Use the Nokia software recovery tool.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Strange that it doesn't detect. I've read that for some people stuck on a loop after a hard reset, pressing the volume down and power buttons together for fifteen seconds have worked. Maybe you could try this as well.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Strange that it doesn't detect. I've read that for some people stuck on a loop after a hard reset, pressing the volume down and power buttons together for fifteen seconds have worked. Maybe you could try this as well.

All it does is power it off, then back on again. Same loop, ATT logo then blue screen.

At this point I don't even know what to do. Nokia care is closed till Monday, would a used product still be under MFG warranty? Do I file a dispute with the seller on ebay? The phone worked when I got it. First thing I did was update it, then it bricked... I haven't even used it.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if Nokia would warranty this? The 1020 hasn't even been out for a year. The problem is that I won't have proof of purchase outside of ebay.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Restart the phone and then power on. After the phone vibrates push these buttons fast and in a steady flow: volume up, volume down, power, volume down. Its hard to get right, but its a official Nokia fix for the CoG of death. Search for CoG to get more info if it doesn't work because its been awhile since I did this.

Oh wait. Sorry. I don't know.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi re the ebay seller: starting a ebay dispute would be very unfair on the seller :-(

afterall you mentioned the phone was working upon your receipt , and the problems arose AFTER you Chosen to update it, which doing so is the normal thing most people would do..
I recently purchased a new 1020 off ebay sealed. Like yourself i also still only have the ebay/paypal purchase proof , the listing mentioned the warranty was valid regardless to original purchaser/ owner.

How true this is i dont know and hope i never need to find out.

If Your unsuccessful in your own efforts to revive it, Dont despair as Nodoubt its a simple fix for a nokia engineer who unlike most of ourselves they can flash the rom back directly to the pcb :) goodluck on getting it back working promptly and hopefully without a fee.

UK owners can check their warranty status Here:

http://www.nokiatechsupport.co.uk/NokiaIMEIPage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit