1020 successor-How about a more practical upgrade rather than all the blue skying?

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The only "practical" 1020 'fix' I NEED is for the "responsible" parties to CHOOSE to sell a 64gb model within 500 miles of my neighborhood. I'll happily compromise on the burdens of charging the 1020 each night and waiting a whole second for a mega-shot to process. No comparisons are meaningful because the 1020 is PEERLESS.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
no way the next 1020 can be 10mm or less. I think they should sacrifice body thickness (which is 10.4 mm right now not excluding 14.5mm camera bulge) to add a bigger battery because let's face it, if you can bear with 14.5mm bulge then you can bear with a similarly thick phone body.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Upgrade the poultry 2000mAh battery.
Upgrade the dual core processor to the latest quad core.
Upgrade RAM.
Offer removable micro SD storage.

These 4 upgrades without touching anything else would be a major improvement to the 1020, buying MS time to develop a completely new imaging flagship later on.

Out of curiosity, do you realize how ridiculous it is to say this? You're saying that they ONLY need to improve the SoC, battery, and storage? After that, all that DOESN'T need replaced is the display, on-board storage, and the case. The stuff you tell them to get as an improvement is essentially just an order for them to place. They don't get custom chips, they probably just call Qualcomm and ask for X number of Snapdragons (that takes care of the CPU, GPU, and RAM). Most of what they'll be doing is ordering parts. The exceptions would probably be the stuff you're telling them NOT to worry about, which is getting parts for the camera, designing the housing, and coding software. Those are the things they have the greatest control over. The rest is just ordering pre-made parts like an SoC or a battery.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Realistically, I'd like an updated SoC, Qi built in, and microSD, and then I'd be happy. A 1080p display and/or a non-Pentile layout would be nice as well, but not as necessary as the first ones.

In a dream world, I'd want that device to also have Wacom pen support (even if that requires a slightly larger screen) but yeah I know that's never happening. :D

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd have to say that the 1020's successor will be more... dialled back. The focus will be more on making use of the sheer amount of megapixels and optical hardware to create even better images and such. Also with the Qualcomm 800 series processor I'd be expecting faster processing times (imagine burst 38MP images), and perhaps even 4K filming. They should make the display 1080p too, and many 1020 owners will agree the display isn't as colour-accurate as it could be. I'm also expecting the OIS to go a step further too; I reckon it'll be more subtle improvements than anything major

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think Black Z and I are alone on this battery boat, because my phone sinks overnight when I'm not even using it....in Battery Saver Mode! My old iPhone 4 would last a few days between charges. I'm lucky if I can get my Lumia 1020 to last 24 hours.

I would love to have a Lumia 1020 "S" model, but I can only imagine that it would be difficult to sell. Apple gets away with it because they are Apple, but I fear that most people will just see the new phone as "just a 1020 with some changes." Personally, I love my 1020, and the only thing I don't like about it is the battery. If I could get an "S" model with a better battery and upgraded processor, heck, I don't see any need for a new phone for a while. By the time I do, the new Lumia flagship should be ready. Sign me up!

I think the main reason for your battery differences is LTE. The iPhone 4 didn't have it.

dougplanet

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I think the main reason for your battery differences is LTE. The iPhone 4 didn't have it.

That would probably be it. I generally get great battery life out of my 1020, but if I go up north, where the LTE coverage is spotty at best, the phone drains a lot faster.

Having a poor cellular signal is a drain in general, but LTE is notorious for this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon