Any news about a Lumia 1020 successor?

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I love the camera hardware in the Lumia 1020, but its too slow between pictures, but if it got a new CPU (Like the 1520) and maybe some faster NAND, then it might speed that up a lot.

So has there been any indication yet about a successor?

I know the Lumia 930 has a good camera, but it is 5" and it dont have xenon

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Dont hope thats true, would be a bad move not to make a simple refresh with faster CPU, I know they are still the best in camera, but they are not capiltalizing enough on it

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The 1020 is the successor to the 808 that was released I believe in 2009 or 2010. I would expect 2015 at the earliest.

Mech0z

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes but one major issue is the speed between pictures, and that is either a slow cpu (The 1520 was much faster but also had to process less pixels) or slow memory, both of which could be fixed with a minor refresh along with minor improvements to the body etc

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
1020/808 like devices wont be popular, no matter what SoC they will have.
And, AFAIK, 1520's camera is not that fast also, tho it has S800.
Honestly, my wet dream is Nokia scrapping their billionpixel concept and making 1/1.5" or 1/1.2" sensor with like 10-12 Mpix resolution. Could be very interesting. Will require less processing as well.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, my wet dream is Nokia scrapping their billionpixel concept and making 1/1.5" or 1/1.2" sensor with like 10-12 Mpix resolution. Could be very interesting. Will require less processing as well.

Fat pixels like that would be very good, but as far as I remember there would be a problem with the optics...they might need to be even bigger and that's no Bueno.

The other side of that is that the discussion on

pixel size vs. pixel density

is still on going and if you look at the trend in the DSLR category there seems to be a trend toward pixel density. The Nikon D800 started it all.. it has much smaller pixels, but it performs very well.

The area of the sensor remains the most important aspect.. how you choose to use that area is where it gets tricky.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
People don't realize the 1020 was a completely different device from the 808. They were moving it from Symbian to Windows Phone which is a huge overhaul. With a few leaked codenames coming out in June & July I wouldn't be surprised that one of them is the 1020 successor since the 1020 was released around that time last year. It would not make sense for a successor to be released in 2015.

EDIT: So the 808 WAS released a year before the 1020 in the US so why we wouldn't see a new version this year would be ridiculous.
Nokia 808 PureView - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think a camera flagship is something the smartphone companies see as a must every year, I don't expect a new galaxy zoom either..

edit: Apparently just a few hours ago an alleged first sample image from Galaxy S5 Zoom leaked, so I guess you can expect that. I wonder if it will be an ugly monster like its predecessor. The 1020 is still the best camera phone that looks like a phone, so as long as the S5 isn't somehow incredibly thinner, we are still safe with that title.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones with high quality cameras are definitely a big deal and every manufacturer is trying to up their game year after year. To say that is not a must every year is completely off. For example, look at the new HTC M8 and the emphasis they put on their camera with a second lens to give you better depth with your photos and a 5 megapixel front facing cameras to cater to the people who love selfies. Samsung's successor to the Zoom was announced earlier this year during CES or MWC and they just recently reported they are dropping the S5 Zoom name to K Zoom instead.

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
While new processors are always faster, I wonder how nokia can further improve the camera hardware, that is without making it bulky like the S zoom. 1020 pushed the limits and could remain the best for some time.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
That is true but even though they may not need to improve the camera hardware they still need to keep up with current hardware specs now that WP8.1 supports it. It's to keep relevant in the market or they end up like Blackberry.:smile: All jokes aside they still have camera software to improve upon that can utilize the camera hardware a lot more and me personally would love a 1020 with Gorilla Glass 3, 5 inch 1080 screen, more RAM, more storage, screen sharing and faster processor. Basically a 930 with a 1020 camera. I'm a very heavy power user and can utilize all the new features of WP8.1.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
People don't realize the 1020 was a completely different device from the 808. They were moving it from Symbian to Windows Phone which is a huge overhaul. With a few leaked codenames coming out in June & July I wouldn't be surprised that one of them is the 1020 successor since the 1020 was released around that time last year. It would not make sense for a successor to be released in 2015.

EDIT: So the 808 WAS released a year before the 1020 in the US so why we wouldn't see a new version this year would be ridiculous.
Nokia 808 PureView - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The core technology/concept is exactly the same. Optics design, pixel oversampling, pixel count, rich recording, etc. were all introduced on the 808 and ported to the 1020 with some relatively minor changes. The big addition was the OIS system..

Its much easier to PORT existing technology to a new platform than it is to introduce a completely different technology to the table.

If the jump from the 808 to the 1020 was as big as it was from the N8 to the 808 I would agree with you, but its no where near as big...

Nokia could either update the 1020 with newer hardware, or we are going to have to wait for a brand new design. The Microsoft transition isn't helping with all of that I am sure.

Nokia haven't done a minor model upgrade in a while, kind of like what apple does with the number -> letter > number thing

The 808 and the N8 were two separate projects with two separate timelines, so the fact that they came two years apart doesn't tell us much in terms of schedule. We know that the original PureView project took around 5 years from idea to market..

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
me personally would love a 1020 with Gorilla Glass 3, 5 inch 1080 screen, more RAM, more storage, screen sharing and faster processor. Basically a 930 with a 1020 camera. I'm a very heavy power user and can utilize all the new features of WP8.1.
The 1020 already has Gorilla Glas 3 and 2GB Ram and you can buy a O2-1020 with 64 GB Storage.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I got chewed up by another poster around here for suggesting this, but Nokia don't have to do a total revamp of the phone to make a major update of the L1020. There would be a lot of happy Nokia fans if the 1020 got either Snapdragon 805/810 or a separate dedicated chip for just the camera plus a battery of at least 3000mAh. Just these 2 would be a major overhaul and improvement to this phone.

One step further would be expandable micro SD card storage, given the combination of a 41 mp shooter with the ability to shoot in RAW. I kind of think that this combination makes expandable storage also a necessity.

If Nokia did this, I honestly believe they would have a top end and thoroughly competitive niche product that would soar in popularity and have the bonus of NOT having to update for a considerable while afterwards. Niche products don't require as frequent updating as mainstream.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
1020/808 like devices wont be popular, no matter what SoC they will have.
And, AFAIK, 1520's camera is not that fast also, tho it has S800.
The 1020's speed was a result of high megapixels, dual picture taking and a separate image processor that could handle the 41megapixels. The SoC in it just wasn't up to snuff, it'll be significantly faster with something more up to date. The 1520's camera was significantly faster than the 1020 though.

The Lumia 1020 was a mid/late 2013 addition yes? That's prime candidacy for the SD805 processor to replace the S4 pro already in it. That alone could speed up its camera performance huge (since one of its major complaints was how slow the camera functioned). SD card would have to be a must on that, Im fine with the other phones not having them but it didn't really make any sense for the 1020 not to have one. If its touted as a photographers best friend, you'd want as much storage as you can possibly get have all the pics available.

If all they did to the 1020 was give it an SD805 processor and an SD card slot to improve it, they'd have a good handle on the niche. The hardware was what held me back from the 1020 and I was THIS close to jumping on it back in November.

vkstarry

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
They had to, I'm sick of dropping my 1020 cause of the slippy material, seriously it's big and slippy.
Micro SD and better battery will make it perfect, quad core processor is a plus.
I don't understand why Nokia in my country didn't sell any 1020 accessories until today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon