Question about the camera Grip battery

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

Ive just purchased the Camera grip, but its still in the sealed box as I have a few questions. I watched vidoes and read reviews on it and they all seem to conflict each other in the way the power is distributed between the 2 batteries. Im not bothered about the extra bulk of the grip battery itself, so I want to use it as a case as well so can I:

Use the phone on its internal battery as normal when Im not using the camera, then if im out takling pictures, just turn on the grip battery, then when I get home, turn off the grip and just charge the phone as normal, so I use the grip as a back up, instead of juggling this charge and that charge.

Thanks

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Good question i also would like to know this, I assumed the grip battery would just trickle charge the phone keeping it topped up until it ran out and then you just have to rely on phone battery ?

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Good question i also would like to know this, I assumed the grip battery would just trickle charge the phone keeping it topped up until it ran out and then you just have to rely on phone battery ?

Well this is the confusion in some reviews. Some say the small buttion on the bottom of the grip next to the charging lights, means you can turn the grip battery on and off and just use and charge the phone as normal, until you want to use it. However, some reviews say No, you have to keep both batteries on, which isnt healthy for Li-Ions as they are kept healthy and a long life by letting them charge up and down.

So, can anyone answer this please.

Btw, I only paid ?33 for my New White Camera grip from Amazon UK here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2473152

Enjoy

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I own it and this is how it works.
You can turn off the grip battery by pressing and holding the button near the battery level LED indicator on the grip. However, as soon as you plug the phone with the grip on it to the charging cable the grip will automatically turn on. You can't charge the phone battery directly when the grip is on the phone.

The most important thing to remember: Grip's battery is Li-On and this kind of batteries lose their capacity when they are dry. So this is how I'm using my grip: I turn it on only when my phone battery drops to 50% and charge the phone until the indicator on the grip lights up only one LED out of 4.

mickydale

Banned
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
"You can't charge the phone battery directly when the grip is on the phone"

Yes, you can....Thats how I charge mine everyday

You can turn the grip on and off as needed, but keep in mind that even when not on the grip drains. This happens due to the power it must use to "communicate" with the phone. So while it is technically off , there is a small amount of battery drain

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
"You can't charge the phone battery directly when the grip is on the phone"

Yes, you can....Thats how I charge mine everyday

You can turn the grip on and off as needed, but keep in mind that even when not on the grip drains. This happens due to the power it must use to "communicate" with the phone. So while it is technically off , there is a small amount of battery drain

/\ This

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes