Why is Infinity focus blurry?

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have read one thread of people exchanging Lumias just because of that issue. The new phone came without that problem, but came back after 2 weeks

lumiagrams

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed today that my Lumia 1020 was having issues with infinity focus. I swear I never had this issue before but similar to other posters in this thread you slide the manual focus to the last point of the M setting and the picture is crystal clear, as soon as i push it that little bit further to infinity it goes blurry. I can clearly see this in the viewfinder and it just looks horrible. I have done some investigating of my own and have determined that it is likely a software issue and not a hardware issue. I use Nokia Camera to take all my photos, to see if it were software related I tested out Nokia Camera Beta and the ProShot camera applications comparing their focus setting alongside the regular Nokia Camera application. What I discovered was that both the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta yielded the exact same results in terms of focus adjustment. You can see in the viewfinder when in manual mode as you push the focus slider up to infinity your landscape scenes become really crisp at the highest end of the M range of focus but as soon as you push it that little bit further to infinity it goes blurry again. I did however notice that this is due to the application pulling back the focus of the lens to the approximate same level of 75-80% of M focus range. A shot set to infinity focus and a shot set to 75-80% of the M focus range will yield the exact same focus results creating the same blurry landscape shots. In comparison to the ProShot application which also has the same manual controls, I found that the focus slider in that application does not as such have a labelled infinity setting. The slider goes from macro as the closest focus point to landscape at the furthest focus point. Technically speaking the furthest focus point for landscape shots is what the infinity focus setting should be. When you push the focus slider in the ProShot application all the way up to the landscape setting it delivers crisp and clear landscape shots similar to what is achieved with Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta when the focus slider is pushed to the furthest end of the M focus range. In the ProShot application setting the focus to 75-80% of the maximum focus range will yield the exact same results as the infinity setting in Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta. This further supports my initial findings that the infinity focus setting in Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta actually pulls the focus back a bit causing the blurry landscape shots.

Going through the focus range in both Nokia Camera and ProShot applications the maximum focus distance as used for landscape photography is always crystal clear. This is where Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta should be locking in the infinity focus at as the camera is focusing on landmarks at infinite distance at the focus settings. I have not been able to get the lens to focus beyond infinity in either the Nokia Camera or ProShot applications. Usually in modern DSLR lenses that have an infinity focus setting it will actually be a little under the maximum focus distance for the lens as they are capable of focusing beyond infinity. If the Lens in the Lumia 1020 were capable of focusing beyond infinity, which in my experience I have not been able to push it that far, then it would make sense the behavior of the the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta applications pulling back the focus that little bit when setting it to infinity. The reality is though that the Lumia 1020 does not focus beyond infinity, so the infinity setting in the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta applications should actually be the same as the maximum focus distance of the M focus range.

So there you go folks I'm pretty certain that the infinity focus issues we are all experiencing are actually related to the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta applications not locking focus at the appropriate level when set to infinity. I'm gonna pop a negative review for both Nokia Camera applications on the store and see if Microsoft listen and fix the infinity focus settings for both of these applications.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
simply pull back a little and it would be ok. This must not be a bug but a special ability of nokia camera.
Blurred focus at infinity level is not some special ability.lol
2f3ecb4483ca139614952a9b2859002b.gif

I'm using the Lumia 1020 and found this to be some kind of software issue as well. I remember way back when, when I was using the 1020 as my daily driver and only phone(I'm on Android now) I could set the focus to infinity and not have the viewfinder image turn blurry before the shot was taken. The problem came from the "updating" of the Lumia Camera app before things got left behind for the 1020. You can still get some amazing photos from it however even at further distances but the infinity setting should've been fixed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes