10-31-2016 03:09 PM
27 12
tools
    Hey guys!

My 1020 seems to have a problem when set to infinity focus...the pictures end up a bit blurry.
    The strange thing is that on autofocus the picture is perfectly sharp...which makes me think this is a software issue rather than hardware.
    Anyone of you experiencing the same problem?

I uploaded 2 pictures to show you the issue. Both were taken on a tripod and 2 seconds self timer to avoid handshake. ISO was set at 100 and everything else left on auto except for focus mode.
    Autofocus: http://1drv.ms/R8M9Yf
    Infinity: http://1drv.ms/R8M5HM

Cheers
    Last edited by eins2dreivier; 05-02-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    05-01-2014 02:59 PM
    I have it as well. Additionally, I've noticed that when I use AF to take a landscape picture, selecting the focus point in the middle of the frame would yield blurry edges. If I take a point at the right edge of the frame, then the whole photo gets incredibly sharp, edge to edge.

Another strange thing is that the stabilizing system seems to make the lens unit move slightly after the focus is locked even if you hold the camera steady. I've learned that I need to give it a good shake before taking the picture for the system to become effectively steady.
    That's because of the lenses distortion created by the phone, and also the fact that when you focus dead in the middle, the OIS compensates to keep as much of the focus point you set blur-free - thus the edges will be blurrier
    I have similar issue. I think that focus in infinity mode lets OIS to float the lens around which isn't the case in perfectly functioning OIS with focus set to auto - it locks on the point and keeps photos sharp.
    05-01-2014 06:44 PM
    Updated the start post with 2 pictures...had no time for more. I did hard reset the phone but no change :/
    05-02-2014 03:27 PM
    I have a new camera modul and pictures are sharp in auto focus and selected focus (infinity). My first camera had problem to find the sharpest point in autofocus. Most pictures came out unsharp. Also with self seleced focus. If I moved my finger to select the focus point it was going sharper and sharper, but in the end position (infinity) the picture was again unsharp. In my opinion it is a hardware issure.
    05-03-2014 03:38 AM
    I have a new camera modul and pictures are sharp in auto focus and selected focus (infinity). My first camera had problem to find the sharpest point in autofocus. Most pictures came out unsharp. Also with self seleced focus. If I moved my finger to select the focus point it was going sharper and sharper, but in the end position (infinity) the picture was again unsharp. In my opinion it is a hardware issure.
    You mean you replaced the camera module? Have before and after examples?
    05-04-2014 04:40 AM
    I've had this problem since I got my phone (must be a problem only on some phones). Probably a software issue where the infinite point in the camera's focus firmware is just set (calibrated) incorrectly.

Anyway, to shoot things further than some 10 meters away I just use manual focus, take it all the way to the top (infinity), and then just a bit down until the 'm' shows up (so it's the last 'm' setting). My 'infinite' pictures are now pretty sharp.
    antiochian2010 and jojoe42 like this.
    05-04-2014 08:26 AM
    I found a thread about this issue on the official Nokia forums (Lumia 1020 - Problem with "Infinity" Focus - Nokia Support Discussions). Seems like a few other people have the same or at least a similar issue. I'm wondering how common it is and if it's really just a calibration problem.

Right now I can't compare it to another 1020 just to a 808...the latter one focuses perfectly when set to infinity.

I'm really not in the mood to send the phone in and be without it for about 2 weeks...and then there's the chance to get another one with the same problem.
    05-04-2014 02:04 PM
    Good news! I just got off a chat with a Nokia employee. He told me that they are aware of the issue and a fix should be expected with the next firmware update.
    ks_yeoh, jojoe42 and Julian_C like this.
    05-05-2014 05:49 AM
    same with me that I ended up having the auto focus to do the job and has clearer result
    05-06-2014 01:35 AM
    Damn I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have this issue since the 8.1 update
    05-06-2014 08:41 AM
    I have it as well. Additionally, I've noticed that when I use AF to take a landscape picture, selecting the focus point in the middle of the frame would yield blurry edges. If I take a point at the right edge of the frame, then the whole photo gets incredibly sharp, edge to edge.

Another strange thing is that the stabilizing system seems to make the lens unit move slightly after the focus is locked even if you hold the camera steady. I've learned that I need to give it a good shake before taking the picture for the system to become effectively steady.
    05-07-2014 02:30 PM

Really really strange
    Same thing here...... I push to focus on the right side of the screen and boom, the whole frame is sharp ???????????
    05-07-2014 02:39 PM
    I have the exact same issue, and the only workaround besides AF seems to be to go to the last M setting before Infinity.
    05-12-2014 11:40 AM
    From my experiments with my lowly Lumia (I'd really quite like a 1020 but I'm just trying out Windows Phone on something cheap for the moment), what the Nokia camera app calls Infinity Focus isn't Infinity Focus! It seem to set at the Hyperfocal distance instead. It is almost impossible to calculate the true hyperfocal distance of the 1020, because none of the hardware specs that are out there make sense (for instance, it's supposed to have a 7.2mm lens, and have full frame equivalent focal length in 4:3 of 27mm. So that means it has a crop factor of 3.75, which can't be right...)
    07-13-2014 07:56 AM

That's because of the lenses distortion created by the phone, and also the fact that when you focus dead in the middle, the OIS compensates to keep as much of the focus point you set blur-free - thus the edges will be blurrier
    07-14-2014 12:01 AM
    I updated my 1020 to Cyan 2 days ago and tested infinity focus again to see if Nokia fixed the problem.
    Well...for my phone they did and they didn't at the same time...
    Let me explain. Infinity focus still yields blurry results! But when I set the focus manually to the last point before infinity i get crispy results.
    Before the Cyan update setting focus manually to the last point would yield the same result as infinity focus.
    My 1020 was basically useless for low light/night shots...

I made a few comparisons with my 808 set at infinity...and the results are great! No more blurr!
    I am now 100% sure that this is just a software issue. I discovered the following:
    When I set the camera to make a DNG file instead of the highres JPEG the infinity focus yields clearer pictures.
    Another observation I made is that the taken picture is perfectly clear while it is being saved. As soon as the saving is done the picture becomes blurry.

I had no chance to make the same tests on another 1020 but I will be able soon.
    I also did not yet talk to Nokia support but I intend to do so tomorrow. Really curious about what they have to say...
    Honestly I do not expect a fix to this issue now that MS has taken over Nokia...at least it's semi-fixed (for) now :)
    08-10-2014 06:41 PM
    I didnt have this problem before.. Maybe denim update will fix this
    09-17-2014 05:31 AM
    TBH... I can't see the differences between the two pics xP

I don't have the sharpest eyes around
    09-17-2014 05:44 AM
    I can;t either. lol
    09-17-2014 04:33 PM
    In the small screen of a mobile phone you can't see the difference, it has to be on a computer and the picture has to be full screen. My advice: don't try to take a landscape with infinity setting. It will be like crap. Has anybody this setting working properly ? Infinity setting exists (I found it) so why a fix or a calibration tool isn't proposed ? For a flag camera I'm really disappointed.
    Last edited by patrikmore; 09-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    09-19-2014 05:37 PM
    untitled.png

Uhhhh....
    09-20-2014 08:40 AM
    Sent for repair because of a dead pixel. Repaired inmediately with a new photo module. And NOW infinity focus is perfect ???
    09-20-2014 09:01 AM
    I have read one thread of people exchanging Lumias just because of that issue. The new phone came without that problem, but came back after 2 weeks
    09-20-2014 11:42 PM
    I just noticed today that my Lumia 1020 was having issues with infinity focus. I swear I never had this issue before but similar to other posters in this thread you slide the manual focus to the last point of the M setting and the picture is crystal clear, as soon as i push it that little bit further to infinity it goes blurry. I can clearly see this in the viewfinder and it just looks horrible. I have done some investigating of my own and have determined that it is likely a software issue and not a hardware issue. I use Nokia Camera to take all my photos, to see if it were software related I tested out Nokia Camera Beta and the ProShot camera applications comparing their focus setting alongside the regular Nokia Camera application. What I discovered was that both the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta yielded the exact same results in terms of focus adjustment. You can see in the viewfinder when in manual mode as you push the focus slider up to infinity your landscape scenes become really crisp at the highest end of the M range of focus but as soon as you push it that little bit further to infinity it goes blurry again. I did however notice that this is due to the application pulling back the focus of the lens to the approximate same level of 75-80% of M focus range. A shot set to infinity focus and a shot set to 75-80% of the M focus range will yield the exact same focus results creating the same blurry landscape shots. In comparison to the ProShot application which also has the same manual controls, I found that the focus slider in that application does not as such have a labelled infinity setting. The slider goes from macro as the closest focus point to landscape at the furthest focus point. Technically speaking the furthest focus point for landscape shots is what the infinity focus setting should be. When you push the focus slider in the ProShot application all the way up to the landscape setting it delivers crisp and clear landscape shots similar to what is achieved with Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta when the focus slider is pushed to the furthest end of the M focus range. In the ProShot application setting the focus to 75-80% of the maximum focus range will yield the exact same results as the infinity setting in Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta. This further supports my initial findings that the infinity focus setting in Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta actually pulls the focus back a bit causing the blurry landscape shots.

Going through the focus range in both Nokia Camera and ProShot applications the maximum focus distance as used for landscape photography is always crystal clear. This is where Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta should be locking in the infinity focus at as the camera is focusing on landmarks at infinite distance at the focus settings. I have not been able to get the lens to focus beyond infinity in either the Nokia Camera or ProShot applications. Usually in modern DSLR lenses that have an infinity focus setting it will actually be a little under the maximum focus distance for the lens as they are capable of focusing beyond infinity. If the Lens in the Lumia 1020 were capable of focusing beyond infinity, which in my experience I have not been able to push it that far, then it would make sense the behavior of the the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta applications pulling back the focus that little bit when setting it to infinity. The reality is though that the Lumia 1020 does not focus beyond infinity, so the infinity setting in the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta applications should actually be the same as the maximum focus distance of the M focus range.

So there you go folks I'm pretty certain that the infinity focus issues we are all experiencing are actually related to the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera Beta applications not locking focus at the appropriate level when set to infinity. I'm gonna pop a negative review for both Nokia Camera applications on the store and see if Microsoft listen and fix the infinity focus settings for both of these applications.
    BatteryLife, pryorjohn and RaRa85 like this.
    10-06-2014 08:29 PM
    i have a problem with my camera, first if I zoom in a video it won't focus, need to focus at the furthest distance. And, I have a infinity focus problem, tap to focus is very sharp.Attachment 92566Attachment 92567Attachment 92568
    02-22-2015 11:09 PM
27 12