iPhone 5 just died on me....need your suggestion

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I also have an iPhone, iMac, apple Tv etc and I have tried WP 8.1 ( the nokia 1520 is amazing ) never tried the 1020.

Microsoft made an app in the app store that allows you to sync iTunes playlists to the Nokia without issue. (and photos too) It's like a Windows mini iTunes sync.

There is nothing like iMessage on WP. and if you Group text using iMessage, it becomes a mess. If they include you in a group iMessage, you won't get the message. They would have to text you separately.

Another Great thing WP 8.1 did was MS added support for icloud email addresses and your Contact, Calendar, and email will work perfect if you have an iCloud.com or Me.com email address.

The facebook app on WP is about 3 years behind the iPhone current version as well. It's about equal to facebook I had on the 3GS. That may not be such a bad thing haha.

Remember, there is Nothing google on WP. You can do gmail in the native email client and that's as far as google goes.
You can sync gmail contacts and calendars as well, but no G+, no google made Youtube app, no google now etc.
There are some knock off mock ups of google apps on WP but they suck really bad.

If you game on your iPhone, look at MS market place and see what is there. I don't game on my phone much, but the 2-3 games I play are not available on WP at all. Not even a knock off version.

App quality can also be an issue for some. iPhone apps have a polish you won't find anywhere else.

I love WP 8.1 OS. It's fun, fresh and really cool to play with, but even with 8.1 I can't make the switch. Maybe 8.2 or 9.0 or whatever they call it.
I have a Nokia 520 ($50 phone, no contract) running 8.1 and had the 1520, but I keep going back to iPhone.
Android phones all seem to be fun for about a month, and then I miss all the little things Apple does and wonder why I gave up my iPhone.

Try it. If you have an upgrade, go get a WP and try it. You have 14 days to return the device ($35 restock fee). but, it's the best $35 you can spend.
It allows you to Try the device out. Get a feel for it without any risk. (other than breaking the phone during the 14 days)
WP is Worth trying. I just always end up back on iPhone in the end.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
1020=best camera out of any phone but, last years CPU
1520= best CPU, most memory (2gb/32gb) but, large 6" display (going from a iPhone 5, it will be HUGE), great 20mp camera but, not as good as the 1020 but, as close as you can get
Or wait for the 930 (Same as the Nokia ICON/929), same package as the 1520 but, with a 5" display.

WIndows Phone is a lot better on the aspect of notifications and how you can arrange what information is most important to you. I still find iOS to be just a sea of icons and not as dynamic as WP can be.

The biggest issue you will see coming from a iPhone is the applications and qualty of the applications. If you find the phone you like, spend time on windowsphone.com and LOOK over all the applications you NEED. Sure there are 3rd party ones but, the big ones are from the compaines on the product or service you are looking to get.

Just because there is a app from a 3rd party, it does not mean it will be up to the quality of the iPhone version, so look over the apps, when they were last updated, etc. There is a problem with a lot of companies, they make apps just to have one but, never update them. This is not too common but, I have seen it a handful of times.

A lot of iPhone users have apps that they CANT live with out, this is something you need to figure out if WIndows Phone will fit in this area for you.

HAMEDACC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I have Lumia 720 and i like it
But if u used to have iphone(s) for a long time (for example iPhone 3GS) I suggest u to keep continue with iOS, Cause there will be a lot of surprises that may make u shocked when switch to WP or even Android(I know u heard a lot about WP and its advantage and disadvantage but it is far away when u use it for a while)
But if u think u r so flexible and tolerant I think u will enjoy WP8.1 a lot, wait a bit and buy Lumia 930 Green :smile: have fun

clv lnd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Is it true that if you are sent a group text from either Android or iOS users, you just won't receive the message? Or will you receive it but it will come in separately so things are read out of order? I group txt often in mixed messages with Android (S3/S4) and iPhone users.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
since you're SOOOO invested in Apple its hard for me to recommend going to WP. While i love WP and just came from a 5S to a 1020, i wasn't completely invested in Apples ecosystem so it wasnt a tough change.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't even let that be an issue. I've recently switched from Apple. I had an iPhone and at least 20k songs in iTunes. I also have Apple tv and everyone in my house had either an iPhone or iPod and surfing really wasn't that bad at all. Windows phone does a good job of migrating everything over. I'm happy I switched at the end of the day.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Is it true that if you are sent a group text from either Android or iOS users, you just won't receive the message? Or will you receive it but it will come in separately so things are read out of order? I group txt often in mixed messages with Android (S3/S4) and iPhone users.

No, not true. My girlfriend is the only WP user at her job (no surprise, lol). They have group txts at the end of the day to go over sales, etc. She has had zero problems with the group txts. I think 90% of her coworkers are Android users, with a few iPhones mixed in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon