New Lumia 1020 in 2022 - HELP!

BigHulkDiesel

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok folks, I have browsed through here many times, and have found several useful threads. BUT I want to try and put together a list of BEST things I need to do when my NEW Lumia 1020 arrives. It was my favorite phone for many many years, and like most, I have let nostalgia grab hold of me.

Questions I have and solutions I am looking for are:
1. The store obviously doesn't work with 8.1.... but does it still work with WP10?
2. IF that is the case, what is the best way to get WP10 on my Lumia 1020 (909 ATT version).
3. Is there any way at all to keep Lumia Camera suite.... and Glance, etc?
4. What are some tips from the hold outs (besides the obvious move on comments, as I have been moved on but want to have a little windows phone fun again).

Anything you can productively help with, I would be appreciative!

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 is not supported for Windows 10 Mobile and you cannot update it. The App Store for WP8/8.1 was closed in December 2019. There is nothing you can do.

You may have seen in various online videos is from the short period when the Lumia 1020 was supported for the Windows Insider program in order to test how it would perform running W10M. The results of extensive testing showed that it couldn't really run well on W10M therefore it was not included in the official release.

I am afraid there may be no chance to upgrade it...

BigHulkDiesel

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 is not supported for Windows 10 Mobile and you cannot update it. The App Store for WP8/8.1 was closed in December 2019. There is nothing you can do.

You may have seen in various online videos is from the short period when the Lumia 1020 was supported for the Windows Insider program in order to test how it would perform running W10M. The results of extensive testing showed that it couldn't really run well on W10M therefore it was not included in the official release.

I am afraid there may be no chance to upgrade it...

Well I know that's not true but cause I have seen it running on the Lumia 1020 and a few years ago I had it on my previous Lumia 1020.

BigHulkDiesel

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The XDA-Developers forums has a recent discussion on what is available for the Lumia 1020 in 2022 active right now. Apparently Windows 10 can be installed (that's a great site to get details) and there are lists of what is working/not working for the device. I'd suggest taking a look at what those guys are up to with that phone. :)

Thank you! There are very few apps that I actually need/want. I knew Windows 10 could happen!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I still use an 8.1 1020 for an occasional supplementary photoshoot, but with Win 10 on your old one, I'm sure you are way ahead of me. I've been a Lumia 950 holdout until today because T-Mobile cut non-VoLTE phones off as of yesterday -a month ahead of its announced-to-users July 1 scheduled end. I have found the store barely adequate for a year or so. The last app I installed last year was a pedometer one which I never got close to working reliably. I'd guess that most of the better developers found better work, including for or with Microsoft's own angroid migration. The glance screen was one among many basic operations and apps that kept working fine until yesterday when T-Mobile killed its network access. It's never been any nostalgia for me; I'm not app-centric, and I simply kept using an excellent, reliable phone with a superior OS. Enjoy your second edition 1020!

BigHulkDiesel

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I still use an 8.1 1020 for an occasional supplementary photoshoot, but with Win 10 on your old one, I'm sure you are way ahead of me. I've been a Lumia 950 holdout until today because T-Mobile cut non-VoLTE phones off as of yesterday -a month ahead of its announced-to-users July 1 scheduled end. I have found the store barely adequate for a year or so. The last app I installed last year was a pedometer one which I never got close to working reliably. I'd guess that most of the better developers found better work, including for or with Microsoft's own angroid migration. The glance screen was one among many basic operations and apps that kept working fine until yesterday when T-Mobile killed its network access. It's never been any nostalgia for me; I'm not app-centric, and I simply kept using an excellent, reliable phone with a superior OS. Enjoy your second edition 1020!

Thank you sir! I wish I had kept my old one. Fingers crossed I get this one working. The only apps I use/like besides stock apps are:

1. Audible
2. HERE Maps
3. Lumia Camera
4. ilo milo (love this game)
5. Instagram

I can do without Instagram but the others are crucial lol.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you sir! I wish I had kept my old one. Fingers crossed I get this one working. The only apps I use/like besides stock apps are:

1. Audible
2. HERE Maps
3. Lumia Camera
4. ilo milo (love this game)
5. Instagram

I can do without Instagram but the others are crucial lol.

I can only tell you that the first three are still working fine on my 950; Maps with voice assistance as always. I don't know the game, and Instagram not for a long time.

Of course, you need to expect that the platform weakens regularly, and you have to have a prepped backup on deck. Besides the platform, Lumia/Microsoft software, there are the ruthless carriers. T-Mobile ended my 950 usage this week, not Microsoft.

BigHulkDiesel

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I can only tell you that the first three are still working fine on my 950; Maps with voice assistance as always. I don't know the game, and Instagram not for a long time.

Of course, you need to expect that the platform weakens regularly, and you have to have a prepped backup on deck. Besides the platform, Lumia/Microsoft software, there are the ruthless carriers. T-Mobile ended my 950 usage this week, not Microsoft.

Why would they end a device that supports LTE? This is just ridiculous. I don't need Instagram, not at all. But the first 4 are a must. It arrives tomorrow, so I will check back after I follow the XDA steps to update to WP10

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Why would they end a device that supports LTE? This is just ridiculous. I don't need Instagram, not at all. But the first 4 are a must. It arrives tomorrow, so I will check back after I follow the XDA steps to update to WP10

T-M has dropped coverage for plain LTE along with 3G: it requires VoLTE capacity specifically -at least here it does.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok folks, I have browsed through here many times, and have found several useful threads. BUT I want to try and put together a list of BEST things I need to do when my NEW Lumia 1020 arrives. It was my favorite phone for many many years, and like most, I have let nostalgia grab hold of me.

Questions I have and solutions I am looking for are:
1. The store obviously doesn't work with 8.1.... but does it still work with WP10?
2. IF that is the case, what is the best way to get WP10 on my Lumia 1020 (909 ATT version).
3. Is there any way at all to keep Lumia Camera suite.... and Glance, etc?
4. What are some tips from the hold outs (besides the obvious move on comments, as I have been moved on but want to have a little windows phone fun again).

Anything you can productively help with, I would be appreciative!

The biggest issue with that phone is I don't think it is HD Voice/VoLTE compatible. I'm running a Lumia 640 LTE as a daily driver and it is HD Voice compatible and continues to have full service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss