Living images not supported for 1020 due to stability issues....

zandos

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Published by Steve Litchfield at 13:30 UTC, July 2nd 2014

Despite working after a fashion in Nokia Camera Beta, Living Images won't officially be supported on the Nokia Lumia 1020 when Cyan rolls out, it transpires (from a reliable source), because of 'stability' issues. Which, when you think about it, is perhaps understandable...

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I tipped this to Steve, as I had asked Nokia Imaging team. The beta works correctly but according to them, not stable enough. I wonder if this is a marketing move, or not.

But as Steve puts it, a 1020 owner is not necessarily focussed on gimmicks like Living Images ^_^

zandos

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes but I had living images working nice to my 1020 before today's Nokia camera beta update..... And I think is one of the coolest new features of cyan update!!! A must have one!

zxli

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering why living image feature needs firmware level support. Windows Phone API does support getting preview buffer. In theory an app could save a sequence of preview frames before a user takes a picture. And combine the preview frames and the picture to create a "living image". The firmware might provide better performance so the created living image may look more smooth. But I doubt if it's a must have. I'd hope 3rd party developers can implement this feature later.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i have to agree. It wasn't very stable on my phone. If I tried to zoom in on a picture before the living image video ended, it glitched out the photo. And it felt a little laggier when taking pictures, scrolling through the photo reel, etc... It'd be nice if they could just improve the stability, because it's very close, and could work. But I do understand that the 1020 hardware is weak when it comes to the camera.

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Might be related. I went to a concert over the weekend and took around 70 pics. didn't bother zooming in as I thought I could do it on the PC later.
While transferring the pics, I noticed there were onlt 15-20 HiRes (34Mpix) picture. The camera for some reason did not capture the rest.

I was using Beta at that time and suspect it might have had something to do with living images and so have switched back to the regular Nokia Camera Pro app for now.

Also, The additional files created for the living images are a bit of an annoyance when transferring images.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is making a big stink out of not getting living images. The feature that would really have benefited us, continuous auto-focus, is the one that we should be complaining about.

Continuous auto focus is what gives the iPhone the ability to snap pictures very quickly. As soon as you open the iPhone camera it focuses. Then it keeps trying to stay focused so that when you press the shutter button, instead of having to focus then shoot, it can just capture what it sees immediately.

This would be so helpful on the camera-centric 1020, and they decided not to implement it.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Because the user has to control the focus, it's not some cheap selfie shot using a thumb, otherwise they could use the rear camera lol

dougplanet

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd prefer that living images being an option that the user chooses to enable, with a warning. I actually quite liked it, and didn't run into any problems.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The processor of the 1020 often struggles to handle the insane 41 MP camera, so the stability issues Nokia is talking about may be true as living images will require more processing power.

However they should still give the 820(and above) continuous focus as that would greatly increase the speed of day-to-day shots.

There is no excuse for not adding continuous focus as all Lumia camera sensors are capable of handling it and it doesn't require a lot of processing power as well.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Because the user has to control the focus, it's not some cheap selfie shot using a thumb, otherwise they could use the rear camera lol
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. The continuous auto-focus is the same as when you press the shutter key. It focuses on the center spot of the image. If you want manual focus, then you do it yourself and it'll stop autofocusing. The feature would be very helpful in enabling users to simply take out the phone and snap a shot before missing it.

I'm hoping cyan still improves shot to shot time. I understand that the processor itself doesn't actually support the 41MP camera, but they really could have improved it.

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm more than ok with them not bringing new options if they will improve the camera itself - better WB (no yellow tint whatsoever), more precise auto-focus and better postprocessing.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. The continuous auto-focus is the same as when you press the shutter key. It focuses on the center spot of the image. If you want manual focus, then you do it yourself and it'll stop autofocusing. The feature would be very helpful in enabling users to simply take out the phone and snap a shot before missing it.

I'm hoping cyan still improves shot to shot time. I understand that the processor itself doesn't actually support the 41MP camera, but they really could have improved it.

There is a small discussion going on. Nokia said that it has improved shot-to-shot times for Nokia Camera in Cyan, not sure if it was only for higher end Lumias, or all of them.

Daniel Rubino claims that Lumia 630's camera speed has been greatly increased by Cyan, sometimes even outperforming Lumia 1520.

There is one app that supports continuous focus, it's called 1shot, and it's made by Invoke IT Limited.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There is a small discussion going on. Nokia said that it has improved shot-to-shot times for Nokia Camera in Cyan, not sure if it was only for higher end Lumias, or all of them.

Daniel Rubino claims that Lumia 630's camera speed has been greatly increased by Cyan, sometimes even outperforming Lumia 1520.

There is one app that supports continuous focus, it's called 1shot, and it's made by Invoke IT Limited.

Just tried 1shot as well. Doesn't work...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon