Cracked screen. Can I replace glass but not digitizer? [Nokia 1020]

L1020

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I've smashed the glass on my Nokia 1020 but the touchscreen still works fine. It costs about ?100 for glass + digitizer but ?6 for just glass. Is it possible to replace just the glass and if so, how do I do it? Thanks!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
You might be better getting hold of a second hand phone that's bricked irrevocably or has a dead board, but has a working display and swapping the boards over. I've seen a quite a few threads on here where people have either cracked the glass when removing the digitiser for replacement of one or the other, or replacement digitisers just not working because they are the wrong revision.

bree78911

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I had the same problem. My fiancee is very good with fixing of things, and has fixed several screens before. So we thought along the same lines and ordered the glass only(against advice of others). It was worth a shot given the cost difference. My screen was completey shattered so that maybe part of why it didnt go so well. It took ages just to carefully pick every tiny piece of glass off without damaging the digitizer. My partner is extremely careful and once all was back together, the screen wouldnt even light up. So I was straight onto ebay ordering that $180 full kit. So if you are prepared to possibly have to go without your ph for a few days, its worth a shot. Be sure to use heat to melt the glue when separating the digitizer from the glass. Good luck with this.:smile:

sadude69

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Removing the glass is no easy feat, locally there is a shop that charges $120 to just replace the glass and they offer a 90 day warranty on it. I tried it myself and ripped the digitizer out while taking out the glass. There are youtube videos on it but in my opinion just buy the full kits as it's far easier to replace that way.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes