Headphones problem

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just noticed that I can't hear anything from the headphones on my 1020, checked 2 headphones and did soft rest, the sound is still coming from the speaker.
What could be the problem?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just noticed that I can't hear anything from the headphones on my 1020, checked 2 headphones and did soft rest, the sound is still coming from the speaker.
What could be the problem?

Try cleaning the audio port/jack, dust may have accumulated and is preventing direct contact. Simply twisting the jack while it's plugged in might do the trick. If not, a sudden gust of DRY air should work. You can also double check if plugging in an audio jack activates the items under Settings > equalizer (you should be able to change the settings with the jack plugged in).

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Try cleaning the audio port/jack, dust may have accumulated and is preventing direct contact. Simply twisting the jack while it's plugged in might do the trick. If not, a sudden gust of DRY air should work. You can also double check if plugging in an audio jack activates the items under Settings > equalizer (you should be able to change the settings with the jack plugged in).

Thanks for the answer, I did what you told and it still don't work.
When I plug my stereo system to the device and I checked the settings it told me that there isn't any headphones connected to the device.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answer, I did what you told and it still don't work.
When I plug my stereo system to the device and I checked the settings it told me that there isn't any headphones connected to the device.

You're welcome.
Oh, so the jack you're plugging in isn't a microphone-speaker combo, like the one in the default headset that came with the phone? The jacks for these two are different - the mic-speaker headset combo has four metal segments, while the "ordinary" stereo only has three. In theory, these two should be interchangeable provided that the contacts align properly in the jack, since the last segment is only for the microphone contact and should not affect the stereo segments.

I just tried plugging in a stereo jack into my L1020 and it was properly detected. In the meantime, try experimenting with jack alignment by varying the depth of the plug.

Errata: It's not Settings > equalizer, but Settings > audio.

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome.
Oh, so the jack you're plugging in isn't a microphone-speaker combo, like the one in the default headset that came with the phone? The jacks for these two are different - the mic-speaker headset combo has four metal segments, while the "ordinary" stereo only has three. In theory, these two should be interchangeable provided that the contacts align properly in the jack, since the last segment is only for the microphone contact and should not affect the stereo segments.

I just tried plugging in a stereo jack into my L1020 and it was properly detected. In the meantime, try experimenting with jack alignment by varying the depth of the plug.

Errata: It's not Settings > equalizer, but Settings > audio.
I think you understood me wrong ( sorry for my English) . What I meant is that I plugged an aux cable from my stereo system to my phone ( the aux cable is exactly like on my headphones, without microphone). But its still the same like the regular headphones, it didn't work on both ways.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Restart my Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
I think you understood me wrong ( sorry for my English) . What I meant is that I plugged an aux cable from my stereo system to my phone ( the aux cable is exactly like on my headphones, without microphone). But its still the same like the regular headphones, it didn't work on both ways.

Your English is alright, and I understood you. The jack for your headset and for the stereo aux cable are the same, that is they are both 3.5mm male audio jacks. Here are two images for comparison*:
image41.png
usb-male-to-3-5mm-stereo-headphone-jack-cable.jpg

The first is a regular stereo aux jack. Notice it only has three metal bands, separated by two plastic rings. These are for the base signal, the left signal and the right signal.
Compare that with the second one which is what most headsets with both L&R and a microphone have. It has four metal bands separated by three plastic rings. These are for the base signal, the microphone signal, the left signal and the right signal.
What I'm saying is that this difference might have created a difference in alignment in these metal bands in the audio port of your L1020, e.g. the contacts in your port could be touching the plastic rings instead of the metal bands when you use the stereo jack, so now even the regular headphones don't work.

But, if you meant exactly the same as what I said in saying "it's still the same like the regular headphones", then you may want to have it checked in a service center after all - could be a lose internal connection already. Perform another soft reset or two by pressing the volume down button and the power button together for 10-15 seconds until you feel your phone vibrate just to be sure before sending your phone off. This will not erase the data from your phone. :cool:

*- I do not own these images. They are available in the internet for public non-commercial use.

yuvalnyk

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Restart my Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Your English is alright, and I understood you. The jack for your headset and for the stereo aux cable are the same, that is they are both 3.5mm male audio jacks. Here are two images for comparison*:

The first is a regular stereo aux jack. Notice it only has three metal bands, separated by two plastic rings. These are for the base signal, the left signal and the right signal.
Compare that with the second one which is what most headsets with both L&R and a microphone have. It has four metal bands separated by three plastic rings. These are for the base signal, the microphone signal, the left signal and the right signal.
What I'm saying is that this difference might have created a difference in alignment in these metal bands in the audio port of your L1020, e.g. the contacts in your port could be touching the plastic rings instead of the metal bands when you use the stereo jack, so now even the regular headphones don't work.

But, if you meant exactly the same as what I said in saying "it's still the same like the regular headphones", then you may want to have it checked in a service center after all - could be a lose internal connection already. Perform another soft reset or two by pressing the volume down button and the power button together for 10-15 seconds until you feel your phone vibrate just to be sure before sending your phone off. This will not erase the data from your phone. :cool:

*- I do not own these images. They are available in the internet for public non-commercial use.

I don't know what happened, but now it works perfectly :)
Maybe it's because I tried to plug earphones with microphone like you told me.

Thank you very much you helped me alot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon