[L1020] Screen manufacturing defect potential shattering?

edulumia920

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Ive noticed that the glass on the 1020 suffers from warping /distortion issues. It can only be noticed when the screen is off. Any reflection of objects turn a diatorted, ripple effect image. Hold your phones at an angle and try to reflect an object on it. It does not happen with any other phone i have. I was wondering if this has to do with the fragile nature of the screen, which has prooven to shatter very easily. Has anyone noticed it?. I took pictures of this, how can i post them?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 has a curved screen towards the edges. That's why it distorts. Also the AMOLED screen with the Clear Black polarizer probably distorts reflections as well.

edulumia920

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Please note none of the phones have screen protectors on. You can clearly see that the reflection of the lamp on the iphone is perfect, whereas on the 1020 is distorted. When the screen is on all is fine, but was wondering if the is a manufacturing problem that makes the glass prone to shattering. I have dropped a 920 several times on concrete and it survived all drops. Ive heard ppl dropping the 1020 on the carpet at very low heights resulting in a completely shattered glass. Comments? thanks.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
So this is weird, I saw this wavy reflection on my 1020 earlier today. But now when I look and compare to my 920, 8X, and iPhone, it looks fine. I'm wondering if it depends on lighting or something.

Either way the consistency of the wave leads me to believe it's not an imperfection or warp in the screen, but something to do with how the screen is constructed or the materials used.

Carefully looking at the screen I see no waves in the screen. The only noticeable curve is towards the edges. And even running a straight edge along the the screens surface reveals no gaps.

I bet its part of the underlining construction within/under the gorilla glass. Doesn't the 1020 have another coating to help reduce finger prints? I'm pretty I remember that being a new feature over the 1020.

edulumia920

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
thank you for taking the time to check. Maybe it is the new treatment used to make it more scratch resistant, gorilla 3, or the oleophobic coating. I just hope it isnt any problem in the manufacturing process, the layering of the glass, idk. Ive had other amoled phones and never noticed this.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have dropped my phone on ceramic tile, hardwood, carpet etc. The only time it shattered was when it fell out of my pocket on the street and got the corner with a tiny pebble. bango. Done. New screen in now however and all is right again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon