denim on the 1020

anon(8776042)

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
They told us the excuse of the old hardware with a lot of features.
First they said that the continuous autofocus couldn't be implemented on old S4 chips, now we have the example of camera sight (360) that uses it and works great...
Then they told us that speed improvements for Lumia Camera won't be coming to old lumias. Same example, camera sight is quick as hell when it comes to app startup time...
They also said that old lumias wasn't getting brightness control on display settings...
I'm far pleased with my lumia 925, but I think those movements are more marketing related than the old hardware excuses...

PS: Just look at the bing vision to scan qr codes and see how it uses continuous autofocus too.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
They told us the excuse of the old hardware with a lot of features.
First they said that the continuous autofocus couldn't be implemented on old S4 chips, now we have the example of camera sight (360) that uses it and works great...
Then they told us that speed improvements for Lumia Camera won't be coming to old lumias. Same example, camera sight is quick as hell when it comes to app startup time...
They also said that old lumias wasn't getting brightness control on display settings...
I'm far pleased with my lumia 925, but I think those movements are more marketing related than the old hardware excuses...

PS: Just look at the bing vision to scan qr codes and see how it uses continuous autofocus too.

^Stop. You don't understand hardware limitation. :devil:

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
But I think MS owes us sharper jpegs, focussing as quick as MS camera, and less warming and skewed tints. The white balance is buggy and doesn't reflect proper color on jpegs. Try testing a jpeg from a 930 vs 1020 at night with same ISO, shutter, same balance preset and you can easily see the difference. Also, if you compare to the 830 the 1020 produces very soft jpegs. The 1020 also has incorrect shutter speeds for flash. It keeps the shutter speed too slow leading to yellow flash shots. If you select a manual shutter speed the issue is greatly reduced.

My point being that they have not optimized the best camera to produce photos with proper white balance, sharpening, and focusing. They can do these things, as they are all software tweaks. But they didn't. They don't care because they are focusing on the 800 chipsets and we get a device that could be even better but isn't. That leaves me with a sour taste for a device that was never fully optimized for the items mentioned above.

This. The whole reason I use a camera phone is to take spur of the moment pictures of my kids, and of other events. I don't have time to fiddle with the shutter speed every time I want to take a flash picture! Burst mode pictures are grainy at best. I love my 1020 but my daily driver is now, of all things, an HTC Desire EYE. Not the best sensor by a long shot - it uses the very average IMX214 - but HTC has NAILED the software, both user interface and processing. I actually prefer the auto results to both my Z3 Compact and, in many cases, My Note 4. Both of the latter have better sensors (the Note 4 is outstanding, really)...but but for actual shot to shot consistent results on automatic, both natural light and flash...I go with the Desire EYE.

Microsoft had the opportunity to fix some very niggling but important bugs, and chose not to. For those of us burned by lack of support for the Lumia 900...and now lack of support for the Lumia 1020...the message from Microsoft is clear - don't expect us to take care of our early adopters/enthusiasts.

lawalhu

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm very much impressed by the discussions, as someone with little knowledge on the technology begin wp. The thread, however, centred mainly on camera improvement with denim updates on 1020. I was hoping someone would raise the issue of second mic problem which, as I read somewhere, would be addressed by the denim. Is their any possibility that the updates will address the issue?

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
^Stop. You don't understand hardware limitation. :devil:

Then please explain what it is about the Snapdragon S4 Pro chips that doesn't support continuous autofocus. I can name a variety of phones with an S4 processor (HTC One X is a start) that support continuous autofocus.

An alternate explanation: the code in the Lumia Camera app only supports continous autofocus on Snapdragon 800 series chips, and MSFT decided not to include additional code for S4-based models.

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Then please explain what it is about the Snapdragon S4 Pro chips that doesn't support continuous autofocus. I can name a variety of phones with an S4 processor (HTC One X is a start) that support continuous autofocus.

An alternate explanation: the code in the Lumia Camera app only supports continous autofocus on Snapdragon 800 series chips, and MSFT decided not to include additional code for S4-based models.

Back read. Hehehe

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I love my Lumia 1020...using it for 16 months or so. Iam just waiting for Lumia 1020 successor aka 1030 .will always keep my 1020 as its a master piece. I have 808 pv also. Yes we need fast camera and better pic to pic time and I think a more powerful xenon flash. Which was present on 808 pv. Hope denim will improve 1020 further

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
No successor at sight. L1020 JPG pictures need to be slightly improved. Microsoft is playing dead on this issue. No communication at all toward customers. ????

GrislyGrizzly

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Lumia McLaren probably would have been the 1020's successor, judging from the enormous camera hanging off it, but I believe that prototype isn't in the works anymore.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Iam sure at Barcelona during MWC we will see a Lumia 1020 successor. By then we should be happy with denim giving improvements on camera front to battery life and smooth OS. Denim on Lumia 930 and other pure view camera has shown vast improvements....fingers crossed for 1020

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well Denim has not even arrived to half of 930 devices out there. I have not seen a slower rollout than this, ever...This makes me wonder how bug-free is the new Denim firmware update?? if MS takes so long to release it to all countries for CV versions??

Graziano

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm totally with you jeetu4444. I love my 1020. I loved it before any discussion of Denim, and if there isn't much difference with the update, I'll still love it. I honestly have experienced very little bugginess. Yes, I'd love my investment to always be on the cutting edge, but I understand that over time this won't happen. That's the nature of modern technology. But hey, it's still one of the best camera phones on the market, if not the best. It's a cool phone and I'm very happy with it. I do hope it gets Windows 10 though. I'd love to have all of my devices in sync like that. But if not, I'll still love my phone. I actually really enjoy the Windows 8.1 experience. I hope they don't mess it up with Windows 10 :smile:

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 looks promising....ms cant make errors with windows 10...this is the attempt to get ppl to like and shift to windows phone...and they need to launch more high end devices asap....hope to see Lumia 1030 soon....

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
W10 by itself is not going to improve our phones. I want better firmware for better integration of software improvements. L1020
shouldn't be excluded as it is the only flagship remaining.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well it is indeed not ok that the best camera phone got nothing regarding firmware in the Denim update. I do not belive that nothing could have been improved, and I am not talking here only about the Camera features.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Am I correct in saying that the Lumia 1020 will get the Denim software update, just not the Lumia Camera improvements? I really just want the Live Folder feature. I just got my 1020 (used) today to play with the new 8.1.x updates and W10 preview.

Any chance the Demim update happens officially using a Rogers Lumia 1020 on T-Mobile, it currently has 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes