using the video function on the lumia 1020

mattstollar

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
hi there,

i was suprised to find that the videos i took with the nokia lumia 1020 were in the format of mp4. is it possible to use a higher definiation type of format. with 32 gb's of space it would seem it could handle heavier formats. secondly is there a zoom function in the camera. lastly does anyone know a link with the camera/video instructions. thanks matt

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
You do realize .mp4 is a container rather than a format. The recording format on the 1520 is an AVC codec which is good for editing similar format to a lot of Panasonic video cameras. I would assume the 1020 uses the same format. The video quality of the 1520 is excellent. A lot of people obsess about working in big formats with out understanding workflows, me I can do some quite nice video with my 1520. I work a lot professionally with video and get fed up with people who try to work in unsuitable editing formats and think a 1 minute file that is 4GB in size is good quality . AVC is very well suited to editing for this application.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
hi there,

i was suprised to find that the videos i took with the nokia lumia 1020 were in the format of mp4. is it possible to use a higher definiation type of format. with 32 gb's of space it would seem it could handle heavier formats. secondly is there a zoom function in the camera. lastly does anyone know a link with the camera/video instructions. thanks matt

From within the phone itself, the "highest format" that is available is a video taken at 30fps and 1080p - there is no "higher" option than that - recorded in .mp4. The 32GB of space doesn't really imply that it can handle "heavier formats"; otherwise they wouldn't release a 64GB variant of the L1020 which has exactly the same specs, except the storage space.

There is a "lossless" zoom function in the camera, but that is only "digital zoom", not optical. It has been called "lossless" just because the sensor is of a high enough resolution that higher levels of digital zooming can be done with less compromise in detail compared to its contemporaries.

There are hundreds of links to tutorials on using the camera app in the L1020 - most of them are for the Lumia Camera app. However, since the phone has been around for some time now, most of them may no longer be updated. Nonetheless, if you're using Lumia Camera, there is an built-in tutorial in the app - just tap on the three dots at the lower right side of the screen and tap on "tutorials". You should find everything you need to know about using the camera app there.

However, if you wanted tutorials for photography and "videography" itself, then that's a different and much longer story.

Welcome to Windows Central, by the way, and we hope you're enjoying your L1020.:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon