Can't update 1020 to Windows 10 via Insider

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've been trying to update my unlocked AT&T 1020 to Windows 10 using the Windows Insider app for a week. I've previously upgraded this 1020 and my 928 to Windows 10 this way. I chose Insider Release Preview, nothing happened. I chose Slow instead and it said it needed to reboot, which it did, but nothing happened. I then chose Fast and got an

WINDOWS INSIDER Sorry, we cannot configure your device because it is currently preparing an update. Please install the update (Settings phone update) and then try again

I went to Settings/Phone Update and didn't see any updates. I rebooted and chose Fast, the phone said it needed to reboot, but nothing happened.

Thanks,
Eric

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
All insider previews are on Redstone. Your 1020 is not eligible to receive Redstone. Sorry, hate to say it, this is the end of the road as far as updates for your phone from Microsoft.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
No W10 for your 1020 (or you hack your registry to get Redstone).
200.gif
There are DOZENS of threads here about this situation. Why does nobody look for other threads before creating a new one?

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I did search for the WINDOWS INSIDER Sorry, we cannot configure your device because it is currently preparing an update. Please install the update (Settings phone update) and then try again error message and didn't find anything helpful. If MS had just put a message that no updates would be forthcoming or blocked the Insider Program app from being downloaded for a 1020 it would have helped.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
They pulled the plug on the Threshold build for unsupported devices about a week ago. Sorry, but if you didn't upgrade by then, you're stuck at 8.1 unless you hack the registry to make it look like a supported device.

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
They pulled the plug on the Threshold build for unsupported devices about a week ago. Sorry, but if you didn't upgrade by then, you're stuck at 8.1 unless you hack the registry to make it look like a supported device.
I would love to try that, but I cannot find a way to do it without the phone having an SD card. I was able to get CustomPFD deployed but not vcREG. Any suggestions on how to interop the 1020?

Last edited:

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I did search for the WINDOWS INSIDER Sorry, we cannot configure your device because it is currently preparing an update. Please install the update (Settings phone update) and then try again error message and didn't find anything helpful. If MS had just put a message that no updates would be forthcoming or blocked the Insider Program app from being downloaded for a 1020 it would have helped.
My experience has been the same, as I described in a thread of mine recently, and I agree exactly with your sentiments. As things are, we can still use Insider to select this or that Ring, wait while the device configures, and check to confirm that we are indeed in this or that Ring, without any indication or message on the device that nothing can possibly come of it. Like you, I've also had those messages about the device preparing an update, when in fact there is nothing of the kind happening.

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Folks stuck on 8.1 who want Redstone can deploy Windows Phone Internals to spoof the registry. It's a slightly involved process and there is some risk of bricking your phone if you don't follow instructions precisely. See WP internals and watch the videos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes