11-25-2013 04:57 PM
69 123
tools
    I hardly notice much lag on the 1020 anyway, so I'm guessing the quad core processors will only bring incremental speed improvement (except for camera performance which could benefit lot). Just look like that 8 core Galaxy S4, I'm so unimpressed by its performance. At some point there will be diminishing returns to processing speed.
    The S4 is a bad example - that phone is way slower than it should be. I had the S4 and was never happy with its performance - it's a laggy, stuttering mess. Compared to that, the new Qualcomm 800 phones (Sony Z1, LG G2, Nexus 5 etc.) are blazingly fast. I'd say the 1520 will be very noticeably faster than the 1020
    11-12-2013 12:55 AM
    I know most people disagree with the "dinosaur" reply, but I was thinking about 1020 vs. 1520, and I feel pretty much the same about it.
    I always keep my phones for a long time, so I have to choose carefully, as it'll be with me for a long time.
    I have a N8 right now. I love it, but since I bought it I miss a bigger screen and battery (I know Symbian isn't resource hungry, but I think the battery could be better since day one). The camera is awesome, and I specially like the xenon flash. The fact that the phone is always with me was the reason to buy the best cameraphone at the time.
    I'm gonna miss those frozen dinner and party pictures thanks to xenon, but they are like 10 percent of what I shoot, so the 1520 will be good enough. At least, Nokia's dual led flash is pretty fast. The battery is also a good 1400 mAh bigger. I'd really like the best camera possible on a bigger screen and battery, but I understand it's impossible to put everything in a phone. For me, the 1520 feels like a better choice, and yes, the 1020 may be a bit of a dinosaur for me.
    11-12-2013 08:21 AM
    The S4 is a bad example - that phone is way slower than it should be. I had the S4 and was never happy with its performance - it's a laggy, stuttering mess. Compared to that, the new Qualcomm 800 phones (Sony Z1, LG G2, Nexus 5 etc.) are blazingly fast. I'd say the 1520 will be very noticeably faster than the 1020
    I Played with the 1520 at at&t. My first response was wtf, I couldn't believe it was that much faster than my 1020. It is definitely a super fast device.
    11-12-2013 10:07 AM
    I agree used the phone at the store and at first glance I thought this was way too but after I held the phone and looked at that screen I was like wow, it didnt feel heavy at all and it was faster than my 1020, didnt bother to test the camera, because I didnt see the point in it, the camera will be better tested outdoors, or places poor lightning, the only con maybe no xenon flash.
    11-12-2013 12:06 PM
    I got to finally hold it ha! Battery was fried! Love how slim it is but as a phone its just too big for me....im sure its perfect for others but for me and I have large hands it felt weird holding near the ear....i also think the size would get old fast! At least for me, I loves my note 2 but after 4 or 5 months the size got a little annoying, I will be getting the 2520 instead I think but who knows? May change my mind in a day or week but man that's a big phone!
    PreJason likes this.
    11-12-2013 04:24 PM
    Yes, I think everybody should run out and get the 1520. *Run*, this is the "device" until Q1 2014 and then it too will be a dinosaur.
    11-12-2013 06:38 PM
    Rumour: Nokia Lumia 1820 phone and 2020 tablet coming at MWC 2014 | WMPoweruser

Yes, I think everybody should run out and get the 1520. *Run*, this is the "device" until Q1 2014 and then it too will be a dinosaur.
    11-12-2013 07:07 PM
    The 1020 is a great phone, I don't think I could ever go back to any other smartphone in the planet just because of the freaking camera. The problem with the 1020 is that the processor is fine for today. It doesn't lag, its pretty quick (although there is a small time delay between pictures, but not 5 seconds like the other person said), but how will it fare in a year?

I don't think the S4 will be able to keep up with the camera tech Nokia is putting out. I also think that 2014 will be a big year for WP since MS will control Nokia and they will push for a tighter WP/W8 integration.

The 1520 will get you there, but it has nuances of its own like the massive 6-inch screen (seriously its HUGE), OK camera for Nokia standards, and its also being released during a transition period (will it get all of the goodies?).

I vote for the 1020 if you can upgrade next year, or for a 520 until early next year (Feb/march) for the 920 successor, or if you are really patience for the 1020 successor. If you can handle the 6-inch in your pocket, go for the 1520 but keep in mind that it does not have the latest and greatest tech, and for this reason you might as well just get a Note 3.

EDIT:
    Let me expand on the Note vs 1520 comparison a little. I know hating on Android is inevitable in a WP forum but try think objectively. The Note is by far the better phablet. You lose a little of camera quality, a few nice nokia apps (there are probably alternatives on android, althought probably not as polished) but you get a stylus and a purpose for having such a large screen. WP does not have tablet apps, and it doesn't have any special phablet functionality like dual apps.

You might get better battery life on the 1520 since Android is a battery hog, but you can swap batteries if that is really important to you. Note 3 is actually one of the better built Samsung devices (although its build quality is very likely to be worse than the 1520).

Oh yeah on top of that you gain all of Android apps. Personally I don't know what this means since I've been on WP for too long and think I have everything, but apparently they have an app utopia going on in there and we are missing it out... whatever IT really is.
    Last edited by 4look4rd; 11-13-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    husslord likes this.
    11-13-2013 05:19 PM
    I just was at at&t store to see the sample 1520. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. Why? The speed of the camera and perceived application load times were not noticeably faster. I expected the camera to load and take pictures, render smart shots, etc very fast. It did not. The display is gorgeous, device is huge, but not too heavy and quite thin. It's just the performance didn't seem much difference to me than a 920, which I have. I'm surprised because others here said it was much faster. Any thoughts?
    11-13-2013 05:39 PM
    I just was at at&t store to see the sample 1520. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. Why? The speed of the camera and perceived application load times were not noticeably faster. I expected the camera to load and take pictures, render smart shots, etc very fast. It did not. The display is gorgeous, device is huge, but not too heavy and quite thin. It's just the performance didn't seem much difference to me than a 920, which I have. I'm surprised because others here said it was much faster. Any thoughts?
    I posted the exact same thing. It's not noticeably faster at all. Someone theorized that GDR3 only enabled quad core compatibility and that 8.1 will optimize it. And until there is some incentive to go for the more powerful model, I'm fine with my 920 here :)
    11-13-2013 06:20 PM
    I posted the exact same thing. It's not noticeably faster at all. Someone theorized that GDR3 only enabled quad core compatibility and that 8.1 will optimize it. And until there is some incentive to go for the more powerful model, I'm fine with my 920 here :)
    I wonder why others have thought it so much faster. I had preordered the 1520, but I am going to cancel it. Maybe AT&T will get a variant of the 5" WP8 phone Verizon is getting. Then, I may reconsider. Probably the best bet it to wait for 8.1. Perhaps, but doubtful an update would make it actually go faster. We all know the CPU is capable.
    11-15-2013 01:35 AM
    I just have a question because I have been looking at both phones and the 1520 is larger but to me the 1020 does have somewhat outdated tech and the way I see it Windows phone is going to have to be more graphic orientated to attract new users much like Android and ios and I am not sure the hardware on the 1020 can handle it - the first couple updates will be smooth but your talking a two year commitment. The other problem I see is with the Black update both phones get the raw ability. Because there is no expandable memory on the 1020 and I believe that leaves you with about 25 -28 gigs of space after the OS - I would think your going to burn up that memory pretty quick needing to upload in order to create space before you can continue - if your traveling or something and not near your computer kind of screwed. At least with the 1520 you can carry extra cards with you.
    11-24-2013 07:27 PM
    There is nothing you can do on that huge phone that you can't do on the 1020. However, the size advantage the 1020 has in portability is negated by it's slippery surface and the large annoying hump on the back. So if you want a bigger screen I'd go with the 1520. Personally, I think the l920 is still the best device WP has produced, in spite of it's weight and quality control issues.
    11-25-2013 09:43 AM
    I know most people disagree with the "dinosaur" reply, but I was thinking about 1020 vs. 1520, and I feel pretty much the same about it.
    I always keep my phones for a long time, so I have to choose carefully, as it'll be with me for a long time.
    I have a N8 right now. I love it, but since I bought it I miss a bigger screen and battery (I know Symbian isn't resource hungry, but I think the battery could be better since day one). The camera is awesome, and I specially like the xenon flash. The fact that the phone is always with me was the reason to buy the best cameraphone at the time.
    I'm gonna miss those frozen dinner and party pictures thanks to xenon, but they are like 10 percent of what I shoot, so the 1520 will be good enough. At least, Nokia's dual led flash is pretty fast. The battery is also a good 1400 mAh bigger. I'd really like the best camera possible on a bigger screen and battery, but I understand it's impossible to put everything in a phone. For me, the 1520 feels like a better choice, and yes, the 1020 may be a bit of a dinosaur for me.
    The most natural upgrade from an N8 is the 808... its much better in almost all aspects, including the camera.
    11-25-2013 10:13 AM
    But it's not really an upgrade with a DOA os.
    11-25-2013 10:24 AM
    I played around with a 1020 and the 1520 and I definitely noticed the difference in rendering web pages where raw horsepower makes a difference. The shot to shot time was much better too but that was probably partially due to the lower MP images. Nothing can replace a xenon flash when you need it though which is why I still break out my N8 occasionally.

What difference does a Snapdragon 800 make to Windows Phone performance? - YouTube
    Last edited by algs26; 11-25-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    11-25-2013 11:58 AM
    Two days before I played with the 1520 vs 1020 vs 920 game lol in a nokia store in bangkok .

I dint find the 1520 super fast or anything relatively compared to 1020 or 920 ..I mean there is no huge difference .

But the 1520 packs the latest hardware which is good for future updates , so if someone is ok with the size and a bit inferior camera then 1520 is the way to go . The phone is huge but it's thin , sleek and sexy with superb built quality .
    11-25-2013 01:05 PM
    I just have a question because I have been looking at both phones and the 1520 is larger but to me the 1020 does have somewhat outdated tech and the way I see it Windows phone is going to have to be more graphic orientated to attract new users much like Android and ios and I am not sure the hardware on the 1020 can handle it - the first couple updates will be smooth but your talking a two year commitment. The other problem I see is with the Black update both phones get the raw ability. Because there is no expandable memory on the 1020 and I believe that leaves you with about 25 -28 gigs of space after the OS - I would think your going to burn up that memory pretty quick needing to upload in order to create space before you can continue - if your traveling or something and not near your computer kind of screwed. At least with the 1520 you can carry extra cards with you.
    Unless you're going to shoot everything RAW, you have lots of space on a 1020 for pictures. Like a couple thousand pictures. Plus AT&T Locker can upload the high res images and phriz.be can email them, if you wanna clear some space in a hurry.
    11-25-2013 01:36 PM
    While I love everything about the 1520, I can't say that I am completely impressed with the camera. I think that I need to learn how to tinker with the settings in order to get better results.
    11-25-2013 04:57 PM
69 123