broke 1520 sim tray

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

Bought a white 1520 off ebay in perfect condition.
Went to at&t to replace with nano sim and broke the top off the sim tray.
Can't remove the interior part of the tray. with sim tool. Will try tweezers next.
Can't tell if it's broke or just the head snapped off.
Phone still works without cell service and am almost positive will work with cell
service after I remove tray.

The question is, does Nokia sell replacement trays? I was able to remove it without problem
when I was putting my microsd card in the other slot.

I'm really pissed off that the at&t guy didn't put the sim in for me. He let me use his removal tool.

tia,

rc

Mark Reed2

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Not shocked because its Apple design.

Nokia lost a case for who makes the micro sim tray design, Apple won the rights to have their version used in future phones (they said they would let firms use their idea, no charge) but their version sucks.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That sucks, the AT&T guy probably knows it prone to breaking and didn't want to take the chance of HIM breaking it and then blame him.
What did AT&T say about replacing it, anything ? You also could call Nokia (888) 665-4228 and ask what they can do.

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Got the sim in. Seems I was trying to remove the tray with the sd card in it. Another At&t guy put the sim in ok. Now my phone works but I'm getting dual and triple music entries for each song. I formatted the card and recopied all my music but still have those extra entries. I had a similar problem with muy rooted Galaxy Note 1 on android 4.0 rom (ice cream sandwich) there was a work around for that which isn't available here. Plus all entries play unlike the android problem. I screwed up big time with that freaking card tray ray. It's a rotten design and I hadn't heard about it from any 1520 owner.

Last edited:

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Call Nokia. Tell then your current sim card tray is loose and won't stay in all the way. Tell them it was that way from day one. They should send you a new one. That exact path worked for me on with my 900.

rcranium

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I think I may have found how to get the songs over without the duplicate entries. I copied all the songs without folders I.e., all the songs together. The first few I did we're displaying correctly.

I'm considering raising a stink at the AT&T store. When I got my s4 and 920, the rep switched the sims for me. This time he gave me the tool from another lumia. The new tool looks like a paper clip. The other one was solid.

My new issue is that I can't remove my microsd card.the tray is broken and the inner part won't come out.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
l found and bought a tray for my 1020 on ebay I think that it was a better quality than the one that came with the phone but took at least 2 weeks to get here ... came from China on a slow boat.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Got the sim in. Seems I was trying to remove the tray with the sd card in it. Another At&t guy put the sim in ok. Now my phone works but I'm getting dual and triple music entries for each song. I formatted the card and recopied all my music but still have those extra entries. I had a similar problem with muy rooted Galaxy Note 1 on android 4.0 rom (ice cream sandwich) there was a work around for that which isn't available here. Plus all entries play unlike the android problem. I screwed up big time with that freaking card tray ray. It's a rotten design and I hadn't heard about it from any 1520 owner.

Double and triple songs = connected to Xbox, to a degree anyway / settings > games> off.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My new issue is that I can't remove my microsd card.the tray is broken and the inner part won't come out.

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but the sim tool that came with my 1520 is slightly longer than the sim tool that came with other Nokia phones and, at least with my 1520, was required to remove the SIM and memory card doors. I tried an older sim tool and it wouldn't work. I used the tool in the 1520 box and it worked perfectly. Check them out in this picture:

WP_20131224_08_35_31_Pro.jpg

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but the sim tool that came with my 1520 is slightly longer than the sim tool that came with other Nokia phones and, at least with my 1520, was required to remove the SIM and memory card doors. I tried an older sim tool and it wouldn't work. I used the tool in the 1520 box and it worked perfectly. Check them out in this picture:

View attachment 52726

I will have to check this out as my SD card tray does not eject.

magicnz

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
That's bcause songs that u saved on the cloud (xbox) shows on yourphone song list if u got the sync setting to on. Also if you haven't deleted the songs you copied on sd card from phone these will still show on your song list.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_australia_new_zealand_933 using Tapatalk

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The sim tray is a joke. Bought a used 1520 in perfect condition and the tray was quite loose and you can here it when shaking the device. Then checked a new 1520 and it's the same.
I remember the 920 had a totally cheap sim tray at the beginning too which also had some issues. And when replacing my broken 920 some months later they sent me one with a new, more reliable sim tray.

Nokia should really check on that. I think all 1520 sim trays with the same architecture are loose and you can here them dangle (?).

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
My BRAND NEW 1520 fresh out the box had a loose sim tray. It wasn't loose initially but it was so poorly built that the act of taking it out and making sure the nano sim fit made it loose. You aren't the only one! That sim tray is just poorly built.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
examking010