08-11-2015 11:28 PM
182 ... 678
tools
    So, I just bought this one off of ebay Clear 2 5D Tempered Glass LCD Screen Protector Film Fit Nokia Lumia 1520 RM 940 | eBay and it claims to have the 2.5d rounded edge which should make it fit flush on the phone. I'll let you all know how it goes when I receive it. I too had the tempered glass protector on my phone, but the slightly raised look around the edges annoyed me and I eventually took it off.
    I think you're misinterpreting... they're saying the TOP of the protector has a curved edge, not the bottom. This is so as your finger swipes in from the side it moves smoothly. From what I have seen, most of the tempered glad protectors have 2.5d edges.
    01-02-2015 02:54 PM
    Maybe I was, as it only sits flush on one side due to the terrible cut of it. It has to be more aligned to the left side of the screen. img_0750.jpg
    01-13-2015 04:18 PM
    I don't think it's even possible to cut one perfectly for this phone... looking at where the "lift" shows on the sides of my protector, the flat portion of the screen doesn't cover the entire width of the actual display area. I think we just have to live with overhang.

The amount of precision that would be required to cut a protector on the back side to exactly match the curves of the screen makes it pretty unlikely imo.

These new protectors make me wish Nokia would stop; using curved screens... the protectors are so good I really want to use them, and for them to look nice.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-13-2015 04:44 PM
    I would think the curved edge is an engineering tactic used to give the panel more torsional rigidity...
    01-14-2015 05:18 PM
    I purchased the one from RPAS (Link) but I'm not completely satisfied. First, my fingers doesn't seem to glide as well compared to the gorilla glass on the phone, or even compared to the plastic film I had on the phone before. It also seems much harder to clean. I was trying to see if there is a protective film on top of the glass but there isn't.

Second, the cutout for the front camera ends up almost on top of the lens! It's noticeable on photos taken with the front camera. The glass is installed perfectly centered (was so happy with myself about that). It would have to be installed way over to the left to avoid interference with the lens. One thing I noticed is that the cutout on the one I got looks different from what is shown on the ebay page.

The only reason I haven't taken it off is because I am finally able to install a screen protector that is perfectly centered with no dust or bubbles caught in between. That has never happened before. I'm very conflicted.

Attachment 66399Attachment 66400
    Thanks for the warning on the FFC, I installed mine as far as possible to the left so my case would not interfere with it. Works OK. I laid the screen protector on screen before installing it, centered and it definitely messes with the FFC, causes distortion. But I never use the front facing camera though, might use it some day and it wouldn't nice to find out it will distort your pictures the hard way. I can't imagine why they did not make the cutout a 1/16" wider and wouldn't have caused any problem.
    05-02-2015 12:59 PM
    Maybe I was, as it only sits flush on one side due to the terrible cut of it. It has to be more aligned to the left side of the screen. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0750.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	835.4 KB 
ID:	93694
    That is our only option if you don't want it interfering with FFC. I done the same thing.
    05-02-2015 01:05 PM
    I have a few questions for you. Do you have any pictures of the protector you bought for your wife's Lumia 1020? I would like to compare it to the phone's shape and size.
    I bought myself a tempered glass lumia 1020 on ebay. I had bought in the past a screen protector, but it was made of some kind of plastic or rubber or something. It worked ok, but I had to replace it too often. So I decided to try the tempered glass one. Well, what I got was not what I expected. I'm not sure if I got the wrong product, or it is just made that way (which to me means it's made wrong). It doesn't cover the whole screen, and the shape is not really the correct one.
    I just sent a message to the seller, and await for an answer. If any of you guys have any comments on this or advise, please, enlighten me.

Thanks

Attachment 110356Attachment 110357
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20150812_00_03_54_pro.jpg   fullsizerender.jpg  
    08-11-2015 11:28 PM
182 ... 678