Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [ongoing review *UPDATED*]

g4mbl1n

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Beastgrip with the Lumia 1520 [*NEW* Extended Parts!]

Any news on the ETA for the extended parts? I noticed when we place our order for the Beastgrip it asks for the model of phone as well. Would that mean he would already know to include the extended parts or should I wait it out a bit to be sure?

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Any news on the ETA for the extended parts? I noticed when we place our order for the Beastgrip it asks for the model of phone as well. Would that mean he would already know to include the extended parts or should I wait it out a bit to be sure?

I just passed your question along to the developer. I'll keep you posted!

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Shoot him an email about the parts! There won't be an update to the site just yet, I don't think.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

My NEEWER 160ct LED flash shoe mount arrived today! Here's a little bit of an unboxing for you, and a bonus- the flash shoe secured to the Beastgrip, so you can see what it looks like.

WP_20140506_17_16_18_Pro.jpg

My initial thought was... "holy crap this is a lot larger than I pictured it being!"
WP_20140506_17_16_56_Pro.jpg

Comes with 3 diffuser panels- clear, tangerine and rose.
WP_20140506_17_17_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20140506_17_19_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20140506_17_22_50_Pro.jpg

Has an on/off dimmer knob for brightness adjustment. I've been told that this thing gets crazy bright.
WP_20140506_17_25_48_Pro.jpg

Takes 6 AA batteries, or you can use the camera battery adapter that is included with it.
WP_20140506_17_25_31_Pro.jpg

All-in-all, I'm pretty excited to try this thing out. I've got to go pick up some batteries!!

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't you just hate it when you get something new and you can't use it because your out of batteries.

Thanks for this thread by the way.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Don't you just hate it when you get something new and you can't use it because your out of batteries.

Thanks for this thread by the way.

Most welcome! I've operated under the premise of "what would I want to see in a thread for a product I'm interested in" and have gone from there lol. Speaking of batteries- I just got some and I'm going to take a few outdoor shots later tonight once I leave work. It's insanely bright, and it'll definitely illuminate a low-lit room really well, but I want to see what it does out under the night sky.

g4mbl1n

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Have been thinking about getting an LED lamp for my Canon EOS M for shooting video at night at burning man.. Excited to see the results. :)

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Have been thinking about getting an LED lamp for my Canon EOS M for shooting video at night at burning man.. Excited to see the results. :)

I put the LED mount on my tripod (uses a 1/4" thread to secure itself) on the ground while I was taking slow shutter shots (.8 sec) of passing cars last night- I need a second tripod so I can keep the beastgrip steady- my hands don't stay perfectly still lol. This was at a quarter brightness. I'll take some more tonight or tomorrow at full brightness, with the LED mount actually on the Beastgrip. It really pumps out some serious light. Oh, and I also had the tangerine filter on it.

WP_20140506_23_33_16_Pro20140507120711.jpg

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Just love that ! I Just ordered one for my 1520 too, hoping it'll fit with my stabiliser grip (. Panasonic TM80, V700, SD900, SD80, V100, HS80, SDR-H85, SDR-S70, SDR-H100, X900M, SD800 Camcorder Gloxy Movie Maker Video stabilizing grip / handle )
it'll be a perfect combination

That should fit just fine. I don't see why it wouldn't, if that's a standard stabilizer grip! And that's awesome- he'll be stoked that another 1520 owner made an order. The new extended bits are absolutely perfect for it. You'll have to update us with pics of your setup!

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Only 6 days after clicking on "buy" i got my package from US to france, that's what i call Speed! i'll try it as soon as possible.

Brilliant!!!! Can't wait to see what you can do with it. It's truly a wonderful piece of kit. Make sure to pick up a 52mm wide angle lens (Amazon has 'em for steal prices).

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
This is cool!
What lens can you put on that rig? SLR lens/fourthird/prime?
And.. what lens youre using now with the 1520?

You can create (or buy) homemade DOF [Depth of Field] adapters that will work with the Beastgrip, but 50mm SLR lenses do not outrightly work with the beastgrip. There's guides online on various sites that instruct you how to make them. Other lenses work though, in the 37mm and 52mm sizes, and with step-up rings you can go large, if you want. I currently use a 52mm wide angle lens on a 37-52mm step up ring. The lens also unscrews in half and becomes a macro lens. There are also fisheye and babydeath lenses as well. Amazon has everything you need.

The Beastgrip, by default, accepts 37mm threads. But again, with step-up rings, you can go larger.

Wesleyshark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I spoke with the developer today, and he informed me that he's resigned a different piece of the Beastgrip, so it'll work even better with the 1520. He's going to be sending it to me later this week- I'll keep you all updated on what that piece is and how it works as I get time to test it out. This product is ever-evolving, and it keeps getting better all the time!

In the meantime, here's another shot I was able to get using my 1520/Beastgrip combo. Cheers!

WP_20140524_19_20_00_Pro20140524195613.jpg

ukedave

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would like to buy a mount of some sort now that Movie Maker is on the app store and I can shoot/edit all on my 1520. I'm tired of taking shoddy videos with my phone leaned up against some object, and would like a quality mount/tripod. Is this the best route to go?

Does the audio captured from the 4 directional stereo microphones degrade when you have such a bulky case/grip? Does the grip apply much pressure to the device?(if the damn vibrate feature of the phone is enough to cause "bleeding/white spots" on left side of screen so would mount pressure). Is there a better option for an amateur photographer looking to record acoustic instrument samples? Thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes