1520 screen sensitivity.

pdelvo

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I updated mine to 8.1 the hour I got it. So i never really had 8.0 on it. I had the bug all the time. The WPCentral App was the worst. Today I flashed 8.0 on it out of curiousity and I have no problems at all. So im quiet sure Cyan will fix it, because obviously its either not a hardware problem or it can be worked around it with software.

Putting 8.0 on a 1520 when you used 8.1 from the beginning is just so weird. Everything is so huge o_O

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Gives me pause about buying a phone from these guys again, and its pretty poor they've ignored it for over 6 months.

In their own way they are like the worst of the other OEM's, sell a phone and ignore glaring problems hoping people will get fed up and upgrade to the next one they release. Disgraceful.

This is most likely related to WP 8.1, it's not something that they could've ignored for over six months since, as far as I know, double tapping to turn on the phone is something new with 8.1, which has been out for around two months. Nokia definitely won't be ignoring this problem once support for 8.1 starts.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This is most likely related to WP 8.1, it's not something that they could've ignored for over six months since, as far as I know, double tapping to turn on the phone is something new with 8.1, which has been out for around two months. Nokia definitely won't be ignoring this problem once support for 8.1 starts.

Double tap to wake was introduced before 8.1, and the 1520 had it out of the box last November so its nothing to do with 8.1. And Nokia has definitely ignored it since then.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Double tap to wake was introduced before 8.1, and the 1520 had it out of the box last November so its nothing to do with 8.1. And Nokia has definitely ignored it since then.

That's weird. It's really unlike Nokia support to ignore something like that.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site

yea, this has been going on since 8.0. ...at least on mine. My international 1520 has 8.0 on it atm. Still happens.

cocotutch

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I am proud to say that, after having my Lumia 1520.1 arrive two days ago that I have put it to extensive tests and haven't found the touch sensitivity bug.

Could it be firmware revisions perhaps?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sent mine back today because of this issue. Totally frustrating experience when you cant guarantee the phone will work as expected and opens apps whenever it feels like, first Lumia I've had that I've returned. It was so bad now I have to retrain myself on my 1020 to use the screen properly, always half expecting it will happen here as well.

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth here's my experience on this issue. I still have my original Lumia 1520, purchased on release day (USA).

With WP 8.0:
Didn't have any screen sensitivity issues until after Glance was released and I activated it. With Glance turned on, I only had the sensitivity issues with the lock screen (using a PIN) once logged in, I would very rarely have a random tap while using the phone. The behavior on the PIN lock screen was like if someone was tapping the screen dozens of times very quickly. I found that if my held my thumb on the delete button it would "tap itself out", and stop acting up after I held my thumb on the screen for about 4-5 seconds.

After disabling Glance, I no longer had issues with the lock screen and very rarely (even less than before) had a random tap on my phone once logged in. With glance off I'd say I'd notice a phantom tap once every 3-4 days, and it would be one tap and done.

With WP 8.1 Developer Preview:
I have not experienced any screen sensitivity phantom taps at all since installing WP8.1 through the Developer Preview. I have not tried activating Glance again though, and I haven't missed the feature at all so I don't intend to use it going forward.

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth here's my experience on this issue. I still have my original Lumia 1520, purchased on release day (USA).

With WP 8.0:
Didn't have any screen sensitivity issues until after Glance was released and I activated it. With Glance turned on, I only had the sensitivity issues with the lock screen (using a PIN) once logged in, I would very rarely have a random tap while using the phone. The behavior on the PIN lock screen was like if someone was tapping the screen dozens of times very quickly. I found that if my held my thumb on the delete button it would "tap itself out", and stop acting up after I held my thumb on the screen for about 4-5 seconds.

After disabling Glance, I no longer had issues with the lock screen and very rarely (even less than before) had a random tap on my phone once logged in. With glance off I'd say I'd notice a phantom tap once every 3-4 days, and it would be one tap and done.

With WP 8.1 Developer Preview:
I have not experienced any screen sensitivity phantom taps at all since installing WP8.1 through the Developer Preview. I have not tried activating Glance again though, and I haven't missed the feature at all so I don't intend to use it going forward.

Glance and the Touch app have been discussed quite a bit regarding its relationship with this bug. People have tried every combination of uninstallations and feature disabling you can think of, including getting rid of Glance, Touch, and disabling haptic feedback. None of these things worked.

Suffice it to say this is undoubtedly a hardware issue, though it does not affect all 1520s.

Mark Hanley

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Not sure it this is a hardware issue. There are times when the screen works flawlessly clicking and navigating the start screen. Other times when acting up, you can't get the screen to scroll no matter what you do. If this was a sensor problem in the screen or some other hardware issue, wouldn't this behavior be consistent? HOPING they get this fixed!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to notice it tends to happen more for me in specific apps than it does in others. I don't know if this is due to some apps having more of a noticeable consequence because of accidental taps or because the app is doing accidental taps more.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to notice it tends to happen more for me in specific apps than it does in others. I don't know if this is due to some apps having more of a noticeable consequence because of accidental taps or because the app is doing accidental taps more.

I found the same and especially with the app My 500px but after I let my phone fall on the floor while changing the back, it fell without the back on the phone but since then I haven't had any problems.

It was never bad though.

Techno-guy

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Frustrating...really wanted to try the 1520 until I started to see lots of complaints about the phantom touches. I have the same thing in my Dell Venue 8 Pro and it drives me NUTS. Given that Dell has the same issue, I really wonder if it's a hardware problem in the 1520 since it is now in at least 2 separate manufacturers (of course, Nokia and Dell may use some of the same parts/screen technology).

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Frustrating...really wanted to try the 1520 until I started to see lots of complaints about the phantom touches. I have the same thing in my Dell Venue 8 Pro and it drives me NUTS. Given that Dell has the same issue, I really wonder if it's a hardware problem in the 1520 since it is now in at least 2 separate manufacturers (of course, Nokia and Dell may use some of the same parts/screen technology).

I've used four different Dell Venue 8 Pros, each one had the accidental doubletap/zoom issue. Which was especially prevalent in the browser. There is however a "User style sheet" fix to disable the double tap to zoom in IE11, leaving only the pinch to zoom activated. I found that to be a solid fix, and made the tablet much more useable. I'm sorry I don't have a direct link, but if you run some searches based on that info I'm sure you'll find it.

As for avoiding the 1520 over a few of the complaints, I say don't. I've had the 1520 since release day and it's easily been one of the best phones I've ever had. I think if Windows Phone was a little more mature, it would easily make owning a small tablet like the Venue redundant. We're seeing definite steps towards that type of maturity in the system as well, so I'm hopeful for the future.

If you're going to purchase a Lumia 1520 through a carrier on contract, most if not all carriers usually offer a 14 day return period. So that way you can demo the phone before being locked into a contract for the foreseeable future.

If you're going to purchase it retail, I highly recommend picking one up at the Microsoft Store. They offer great service and a solid return policy. So either way you should be able to demo the phone risk free.

TechoGeek

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 1520 for 10 days now and my experience with this issue is its software based. I had zero problems initially but then a dozen updates showed up to download, glance and touch being among them. I only then developed the issue for a couple days. Things settled down after doing a soft reset and waiting a little time. I haven't had the problem since. Even when I did have the problem it was not as bad as my Nexus 7 (2013). The Nexus makes it a nightmare entering passwords and for general typing. I'm totally happy with my purchase and this is coming from a person that has never purchased an unlocked phone, and an Android lover.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 1520 for 10 days now and my experience with this issue is its software based. I had zero problems initially but then a dozen updates showed up to download, glance and touch being among them. I only then developed the issue for a couple days. Things settled down after doing a soft reset and waiting a little time. I haven't had the problem since. Even when I did have the problem it was not as bad as my Nexus 7 (2013). The Nexus makes it a nightmare entering passwords and for general typing. I'm totally happy with my purchase and this is coming from a person that has never purchased an unlocked phone, and an Android lover.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I had an Nexus 7 (2013) and it drove me nuts for months and was partly the reason I tried windows. It was getting worse with times and that combined with my note 3 not recognising touches I thought that I would try WP first and keep my Xperia Z1 for backup in case I wasn't able to do something with WP.

That didn't last long after getting my 925 and you can see below that I completely moved to windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes