WP 8.1 DP bricked Lumia 1520/520

Corey Ondera

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I installed 8.1 Developer Preview on Lumia 1520 & 520 on day one. The 1520 worked well for about a week and then went crazy. The 520 took less than half that time to wig out. Nokia service replaced both devices (please don't change Nokia customer service Microsoft) but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has experienced an issue like this. Nokia Software Recovery Tool didn't work on either device.

Corey Ondera

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The 520 stopped booting, but the 1520 screen would constantly go berserk and make it pretty much unusable (or untouchable as it were). The daredevil in me wants to give it another try because I haven't heard anyone complain about the preview, but I'm scared as hell to have it happen a second time. It's really hard to go back to 8 after being on 8.1 for a bit.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Did you have the same apps on both phones? What I would do is hard reset your phones or just one of them first and set it up as new so do not restore from a backup and then.

Update your system apps using the app Lumia System Updater
Download Preview for Developers app
Download 8.1
Do another hard reset and again set up as new again.
Update you system apps using Lumia System Updater.
Install you apps you had before but I would do it a few at a time and leave it a few days before downloading more of your apps just to check it wasn't one of them that was the cause of your problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes