Need to do a factory reset and I have a question

chris800

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I have Windowsphone 8.1 installed and I need to do a factory reset in order to change Microsoft account and I am just wondering if I do this, I will have to downloaded the Preview for Develoepers app again from the store, right?
Many thanks

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean factory reset using Nokia Recovery Software Tool .... or just reset the phone. Just resetting the phone from 'settings/about/reset' will keep the phone on DP 8.1.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
CORRECT >> actually with U changing accounts, you'll prolly need to d/l EVERYTHING, again. Your phone will come back w WP 8.1 Dev Preview ...

Move whatever you can (pix, music, videos, docs, etc) to SD card, remove the SD card, your backup is indexed by UID, not phone IMEI, thus w a new account, NO way to tie back to OLD account (as primary).

greythorne

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean factory reset using Nokia Recovery Software Tool .... or just reset the phone. Just resetting the phone from 'settings/about/reset' will keep the phone on DP 8.1.

Ok so lets say if I use the Nokia recovery software tool, it will format everything and install windows phone 8.0?

greythorne

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok this is what happened. I tried using Nokia software recovery tool 1.4.3 and it says that "could not read data from selected phone"! Any idea how to overcome this?

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok this is what happened. I tried using Nokia software recovery tool 1.4.3 and it says that "could not read data from selected phone"! Any idea how to overcome this?

How to Downgrade as well retain all apps which you have in 8.1 DP without any hickups

Note : Please do a backup of your phone before proceeding.... If you don't want to re-install everything from start, Backup everything to cloud from settings > Backup :)

Hi GreyThrone,

i had a similar problem with my Lumia 1320, whenever i try to downgrade with Nokia Recovery tool, i got that message just like you. instead of using Nokia Software Recovery Tool, i used Nokia Software Updater for Retail 4.2.1 for downgrading to Windows Phone 8.0 from WP DP. Installed Nokia Software Updater for Retail (download link provided below), started it, it said it needs to download additional software, downloaded and let it install, post that when i plug'd in my phone voila, it detected my phone and showed me that there is update (practically its 8.0) and showed both version # (from and to) as same. went ahead and installed it, it downloaded closed to 1.4 or 1.8 GB and then installed it.

Post installation, it rebooted and took me to the same setup, this time i did a fresh installation (didn't recover, why? because my apps are in SD, restoring it would break everything)

Post downgrading to windows phone 8.0, rebooted my phone, went into settings and checked for update and voila, got the Cyan update... it took sometime to download and install it.........

Post installation, it migrated the default apps to windows phone 8.1... here is the trick. i reset my phone post installation of Windows Phone 8.1 with Cyan (why? because i want to restore it with my apps on SD Card), it reboots and starts installation, with in few mins, it will bring up the setup again, now when it says "SD card detected, do you want to use or blah blah blah SD card" say "Yes" or "OK", it will also prompt that it will remove unused apps or something, give ok to that too..... (it will actually remove those apps from SD card but based on your backup information it will re-install them)

Perform your normal setup but when choose whether to restore, please choose your latest backup from the list....

one bad thing is that it would not retain the history.... all game position would be lost, meaning everything would be fresh.....

Hope this helps....

Link for Nokia Software Updater for Retail :
http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/fds_fire/1310/0909/7297834135/NokiaSoftwareUpdaterForRetail_4.1.0.exe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa