I need some help Note 4 or 1520.3

clitrenta

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have an idea when the 1520's successor will be out? I do have time. I think the Notes are great devices actually. I had the Note 3 and the only issue I had with that was unstable WiFi connection (quite annoying at times) but other than that, it was a beast of a phone. That said, I think I have made up my mind to go back to WP with my next upgrade because I LOVE the OS. Looks and runs great and I love how it interacts with my computer. Add Cortana to that and its a no-brainer. Part of my problem with WP was app availability but upon further consideration, I've decided I can deal with those short comings. The 1520 is a beautiful phone and I expect the next one to be even better. There's nothing like live tiles and I miss them immensely. When deciding between this and the Note, I really think you have to decide what's most important to you. The Note does some things no other phone can but the Lumia (all of them) is just special in my opinion. It always pulls at me and NO ONE puts a better camera on a phone than Nokia.

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so my family will be switching from Verizon to TMobile and I need some help making a decision. For those who have a 1520.3 how is the reception (anyone live in the NY area?), are there any hardware issues that I should be aware of (I know there are some issues with the 1520 concerning the screen), and what version of the OS are you on. Basically it is either I buy this phone or I wait a month and buy the Note 4. I have used iOS, Android, and Windows Phone so no need to try and sway me either way I just want to know how your experience with the 1520.3 has been on TMo's network.

Thank you!

I have a Lumia 1520.
My wife's Samsung Galaxy S5 is a sub-24 hour battery life disaster.
My receptionist's Galaxy Note 3's battery life isn't much better than my wife's.
My Lumia 1520's battery life is a dream.

Furthermore, the vertical scrolling of pages on Android is a disaster; the scrolling lacks momentum & end of page "bounce back" - I think Apple forced Samsung to delete for copyright reasons? However WindowsPhone still has this wonderful feature; Windows Mobile may have had this feature since the late 1990's.

The old "curtain" drop downs on Android look so old. WindowsPhone no longer uses curtains, but uses either a full page, or a half page.

Windows Phone not only looks better, but performs better....

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It's going to cone down to the OS. The Note 4 just got released so its going to have the latest specs from a processor standpoint but you have to keep in mind that Android has always been spec heavy and the Android OS needs a lot more resources to run than WP so I never read too much into specs. I will say that the Note series has always seemed to emphasize on screen utilization and the fact that its a phablet, where as the 1520 is pretty much an enlarged 930. Don't get me wrong, I think the 1520 is one of the best phones out there and definitely the best WP, but it would be nice to take advantage of this amazing screen and display more. I believe the "Denim" update will provide some of that, like with split screen. All in all, I still wouldn't trade WP8.1 for kit Kat ( give me a break 😉). There is some dual polarization technology that the 1520 has that's rarely mentioned that is amazing for when you're reading outside on a sunny day. Also keep in mind the pricing. The Note 4 is brand new, where as the 1520 is almost a year old so you can look at off contract 1520s with Qi wireless charging.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the S5 and 1520. With some knowledge of Android and settings the s5 is as smooth as my 1520. Have had time to try out a note 4. It's a much better device than the 1520 in these areas:
1. Screen
2. Work related features
3. Access to spen apps
4. Camera focus
5. Video quality
6. Multi tasking with multi window
7. Shot to shot time
8. White balance

Btw my s5 lasts at least 18 hours for me with 4 hours on screen time and higher brightness. It bugs me because most people here are quick to dismiss android but really need to read more on how to optimize a device.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the S5 and 1520. With some knowledge of Android and settings the s5 is as smooth as my 1520. Have had time to try out a note 4. It's a much better device than the 1520 in these areas:
1. Screen
2. Work related features
3. Access to spen apps
4. Camera focus
5. Video quality
6. Multi tasking with multi window
7. Shot to shot time
8. White balance

Btw my s5 lasts at least 18 hours for me with 4 hours on screen time and higher brightness. It bugs me because most people here are quick to dismiss android but really need to read more on how to optimize a device.

The S5 is a newer device than the 1520, so saying that it runs as smooth as the 1520 I would suspect should be expected. Not quite sure what you've used as determining factors to say the screen of the Note 4 better? I get the whole pixels value, but in real optics that is merely a numeric value not a physical one. The iPhone 6 has a better pixel density but again you can't tell unless you're looking at a spec sheet. I agree with the large screen and S pen utilization, but I combine those into a phablet utilization category. I don't think people are saying that the S5 or Android phones in general have poor battery life, but you have to make setting changes to optimize your battery life where for the 1520 you don't need to, even though you could maximize the life span with battery sense. Denim will bring large screen utilization. I'll give you the video, but not in terms of quality, more in terms of technology. Again Denim will change that. I'll take photo quality over shutter speed and while the white balance might be a little better ( giving you the benefit of the doubt) the clear black display of the 1520 is unrivaled.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I mean I spent a while comparing screen fidelity not numbers. The Note 4 screen makes even the s5 seem poor. Lol. It's that nice in person.

I've had 117 phones over the last 8 years to compare, test, and swap so I come from the perspective of multiple manufacturer offerings.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I definitely have not owned that many phones so you got me there..lol. Again it goes back to preference. I've always felt AMOLED screens added a sort of fakeness to the colors of the display. Samsung worked to improve on this worth the S5 and of course the Note 4. I still prefer IPS HD display. The 1520 has auto brightness adaptability and anti saturation technology not really found in other phones. Sure they have it but it's not automatic. The travesty is the simple fact that we're discussing how the 1520 compares to phones 6 months to a year newer than it is just showcases how amazing the phone is and yet struggles to sell amongst its top tier counterparts.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Ya that's the sad part. Every person who has used my 1520 is blown away. But people buy what their friends have and what social apps they use. 😞

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Its ridiculous to think the 1520 with it's annoyingly defective screen is a better device than the Note 4. This fanboyism has to stop. Right now, WP is establishing itself as a 2nd tier device. And months down the road when they announce WP 9 or 10, people will have no interest because Apple will have announced an update to IOS8,or Samsung a new device. Microsoft motto should be "A day late and a idea short."

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Its ridiculous to think the 1520 with it's annoyingly defective screen is a better device than the Note 4. This fanboyism has to stop. Right now, WP is establishing itself as a 2nd tier device. And months down the road when they announce WP 9 or 10, people will have no interest because Apple will have announced an update to IOS8,or Samsung a new device. Microsoft motto should be "A day late and a idea short."
Get with the program after Windows Phone 8.1.x there will be no more Windows Phone only Windows..... One unified operating system for all devices. Without fans there wouldn't be any success. It'd be like a Metallica concert without a audience. I've been on Blackberry, IOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices. I've had Android 2.x and 4.1, IOS 5,6 and 7. Windows phone 8 + 8.1. I personally prefer Windows, I do see plenty of room for improvement. But my next phone will be a Lumia.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Get with the program after Windows Phone 8.1.x there will be no more Windows Phone only Windows..... One unified operating system for all devices. Without fans there wouldn't be any success. It'd be like a Metallica concert without a audience. I've been on Blackberry, IOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices. I've had Android 2.x and 4.1, IOS 5,6 and 7. Windows phone 8 + 8.1. I personally prefer Windows, I do see plenty of room for improvement. But my next phone will be a Lumia.

I'm with the program, no matter what they call it, Windows is unorganized and destined to fail. Its understandable to be a Windows fan but to consistently rate their subpart devices on the same tier as the new IPhone 6+, or Note 4, is just ridiculous. In fact, their last several phones have been bargain devices, and no one knows what the hell they are doing in terms of future devices. That is a nightmare when you consider they already have almost no market share.

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Doubt Microsoft will be in phone business in 2016 they dont have high end phones untill next year and apple keeps on selling millions of iPhone.I am all for the OS but dev just don't update windows phone apps look @ Flipboard after a year app is nothing compared to its ios and Android version m

Last edited:

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You say that as WP sports a higher market share value than iOS in multiple European markets and only mere points behind in others. The reality is iOS is only relevant in the US and other high end markets. MSFTs consumer base stretches far beyond that. We'll see what happens when 2016 comes but nothing has happened to suggest MSFT shouldn't be optimistic about what the future holds. Finally MSFT has a unified vision, so your comment about being unorganized is misplaced. Critics are finally considering WP 8.1 as a comparable OS to iOS and Android. Emphasis on universal apps and continuing to evolve Cortana. The market share albeit slow is growing. The next few years will indeed be interesting but for as much as people say it can go one way, it can also go the other. BTW the sensitivity screen issues have been resolved with the latest update. Again, its about customer satisfaction that has WP at the top, and why we're discussing the latest high end phones and comparing it to a phone that's a year old. The 1520 in most tests stands very well and that's saying something.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with Microsoft's unified vision. To be productive, i need a real desktop, not a "Vista 2" "deskstop". If they keep on pushing on this "unified vision" nonsense, then i do not think they can survive long enough. BTW the screen sensitivity issue has not been fixed. My opinion is that it will never be fixed, because is hardware issue. WP customer satisfaction in my eyes is decreasing, not increasing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes