High Res JPG Photos Can't Display In Photos App?

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Not sure if this is more appropriate here or over in the Photography forum, but figured as this is specific to the higher end Lumia cameras, I'd start directly in my device forum.

I have my Lumia 1520 set to snap both the 5MP jpg and high-res 15mp jpg for each photo. Up until today I would save the high-res versions to my PC, and keep the low-res versions on my phone for quick viewing. I recently reset the phone, knowing I would lose all my low-res photos, but thinking I would simply copy the larger versions from my PC over to my new 128GB Micro SD.

I realized upon doing this though that the phone's Photos app does not recognize any of the high-res photos. In retrospect this makes sense, as when taking a photo it only shows the lower-res copy. But I guess for some reason I thought the high-res versions would show up if manually copied back.

Long story short, I have lost all my low-res photos and am wondering if anybody is aware of a method to get the Photos app to recognize the higher-res copies. I'm unsure how the phone even knows the difference, as the high-res copies seem to be standard JPGs. Is there maybe a file size limitation or something I'm not aware of? Or something else in the file type I'm not seeing that would prevent these photos from being displayed in the Photos app?

Any help would be very welcome!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It might be as simple as changing the file extension to match the 5MP file.

WP_YYYYMMDD_HH_MM_SS_Pro.jpg instead of _Pro_highres.jpg

​Never tried it though.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Oddly, as I'm working through it I'm finding that changing the file name to ANYTHING other than it's original string allows it to show up. An oddity to be sure - I wonder if they specifically coded the high-res file names to not show up, so by changing it to anything else, the phone no longer thinks it's supposed to hide it.

I just wish I had figured this out before resetting the phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon