I have a Lumia 1520 and I have noticed that I can no longer use the the Internet in its desktop format since I upgraded my phone to windows 8.1. I also noticed this issue on my Lumia 920. Is there anything I should do or it is now the default setting of the devices. Even if I set the viewing preferences to Desktop, there is no change.
    03-02-2015 02:30 AM
    I have a Lumia 1520 and I have noticed that I can no longer use the the Internet in its desktop format since I upgraded my phone to windows 8.1. I also noticed this issue on my Lumia 920. Is there anything I should do or it is now the default setting of the devices. Even if I set the viewing preferences to Desktop, there is no change.
    I noticed the same but for google.com I can get the desktop version if I change to "desktop version in IE settings"
    But if i go to a website it automatically changes to mobile. This is because the website you visit "knows" you have a mobile and adopts the view.
    And only websites which do not have/use this you see in desktop view.(and the IE setting does not matter)
    03-02-2015 03:20 AM
    This is not a default setting on devices, this a default setting on websites.

If you have a resolution where your Y is bigger than your X, it defaults to mobile view.

To test this, grab a PC, go to a website you're having problems with and resize the window.
    03-02-2015 08:58 AM
    thanks guys. but there were no such issues on WP8 before the 8.1 upgrade. that was why i wondered whether it was because of the phone
    03-05-2015 09:13 AM
    thanks guys. but there were no such issues on WP8 before the 8.1 upgrade. that was why i wondered whether it was because of the phone
    It is. The browser on 8.1 GDR1 adopted a new user string indicating it is a webkit browser. That means pages render better because the majority of the web is built to suit this format. If you visit certain sites with apps, it thinks you have an android phone and will direct you to google play. It's. Tradeoff but a welcomed one as pages load much better now.

VegaNovus for my phone prior to this update I could override mobile settings on almost every website.

The other thing to be aware of is, that certain sites don't play well when data savings settings is enabled. Craigslist will not load properly when it is enabled.

In Win 10 we will get a much more advanced browser called Spartan.
    03-05-2015 09:30 AM