Wireless Charging worth it?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Before my 1520 (not PMA or Qi capable) I had a 928 and Icon. The wireless charging feature was convenient but not that much more convenient than just plugging in the phone, especially since I just used it by my bed. If you plan on using it at your desk or in an area where you will be picking it up and down frequently, the wireless charging is nice. Other than that it's not really worth discounting a phone simply because it doesn't have wireless charging.

There were actually some cases where wireless charging can be a hindrance. If you want to hold your phone or game on it while it's charging, you can't, while you can on a wire.

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I installed a wireless charger under part of my car's console (there was a squareish hole) and I could very easily just stick my HTC 8x down in there without looking and it kept my phone charged as I drove everywhere. It was super convenient and I was unhappy when I upgrades to the m8 and this didn't work anymore...... always miss the 8x...

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 and use them both regularly, I rarely plug my Lumia 830 since I got them. I have a RAVpower charger and the original Nokia charger. I would recommend getting one since they are not overly expensive.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
No, not worth it for me. Nearly two years with a Lumia 920, and it's a feature I would gladly give up.

Chief reasons:
1) Charge seems to not last as long as corded charging
2) At least with the 920, the documentation said to keep away from magnetic cases, so that limited the possible pouch/cases that I could consider.
3) It has to be on the charger, so harder to use it while charging. On a cord, you can hold it, use it, do whatever. On wireless charger, put it there, leave it there.

It's nice for a gimmick, and I use mine at work occasionally since my 920 came with a free wireless charger promotion. And it does charge faster, which does cause more heat and I think contributes to the shorter charge retention. But overall, I definitely prefer to charge by USB cord.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
No, not worth it for me. Nearly two years with a Lumia 920, and it's a feature I would gladly give up.

Chief reasons:
1) Charge seems to not last as long as corded charging
2) At least with the 920, the documentation said to keep away from magnetic cases, so that limited the possible pouch/cases that I could consider.
3) It has to be on the charger, so harder to use it while charging. On a cord, you can hold it, use it, do whatever. On wireless charger, put it there, leave it there.

It's nice for a gimmick, and I use mine at work occasionally since my 920 came with a free wireless charger promotion. And it does charge faster, which does cause more heat and I think contributes to the shorter charge retention. But overall, I definitely prefer to charge by USB cord.

I never notice any difference in runtime between wired and wireless charging on my 920 since I got it over a year ago.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am officially lost.

Jazmac... There was the question in the title which you answered "Yes" to. But there were negatives in the OP which you ignored... So if just your Yes was taken into account Wireless Charging is worth it and all the overheat problems are real. I think Harrie was just adding what you missed and was trying to generate a harmless giggle by satirizing your first post.

Do you guys leave your 1520 charging all night whether its on a qi charger or plugged in? I heard its bad for the battery to leave it in all night. Decreases stand by time. Should unplug at 100% always. Or am I wrong?

This is an old, but valid back then, concern. Modern Battery Tech has added a smart chip to batteries so they don't "overcharge" and keep heating. Your battery now knows what to do and when; this concern is fairly well negated now...

Before my 1520 (not PMA or Qi capable)...

Did you physically modify your phone? So far as I know every variant of 1520 has Qi Charging built in except the ATT model which gets PMA charging with a case.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I never saw the point, plug in works fine, at home in my office and in the car. They are universal and cheap. And do all wireless chargers work through cases? I'd never use one if I had to take my Incipio case on and off each time I wanted to charge my phone.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I never notice any difference in runtime between wired and wireless charging on my 920 since I got it over a year ago.

Yeah, it's nothing I've ever took the effort to try to track and document just because it really doesn't matter that much if it's true or not, but since I am in the same general locations at the same times, using my phone the same general amounts and ways throughout most days, it seems that if I charge it to full using the wireless, it drains quicker than on the days when I charge to full using the cord. And it may be totally false, but it seems to be a consistent phenomenon over the past 2 years.

There could be a plethora of reasons, which don't really matter. I use the wireless occasionally, but in general I find corded charging more convenient, so it wouldn't break my heart if my next WP doesn't have it. :)

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I never saw the point, plug in works fine, at home in my office and in the car. They are universal and cheap. And do all wireless chargers work through cases? I'd never use one if I had to take my Incipio case on and off each time I wanted to charge my phone.

I have a pretty thick case on my 920 and the wireless charges fine through it, and seems to pick it up just as easy as with case off.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

It's about freedom and convenience. Being wired is a drag. I'm not a gamer by any stretch (although I'll play a game, I'm not spending hours on it.) I also don't watch hours of video on end. I don't need to be plugged in while I use the device except for in car nav.

Not plugging and unplugging is nice. Having the phone on a stand is nice.

Everybody has had these things happen. You have your phone plugged in and want to see it, pick it up, get stopped short by the cord... You have your phone plugged in and are using it, need to go in another room, or just across that room; have to unplug it and plug it back in... You or someone or a pet, run into the cord and it gets yanked out of the port or the phone flies to the floor...

I've never had a wireless charger not operate through a case.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the OP decided to get one, but as another in the YES category...
I hate when the micro-usb port goes out. I've had a few phones where the port dies for whatever reason. Using wireless charging eliminates that wearing that contact out. I have a charger on my desk at work, nightstand at home and in my car. I am always near a charger that I can drop my phone into. It is worth the money.WP_20150407_11_21_54_Pro 1.jpg

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I love wireless charging. It's all I've used for over two years with the 920 in the home and office. No more damaged mini USB ports. In the car I use a cord to charge if using GPS. The wireless appears to keep from losing a charge but not add any charge. A DT-900 has a 750mA input current and a factory Nokia corded DC charger is 1.0A.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the OP decided to get one, but as another in the YES category...
I hate when the micro-usb port goes out. I've had a few phones where the port dies for whatever reason. Using wireless charging eliminates that wearing that contact out. I have a charger on my desk at work, nightstand at home and in my car. I am always near a charger that I can drop my phone into. It is worth the money.View attachment 101458

My mind is gone. I scrolled the comment until the charging stand was just about an inch showing on the screen. Just started to read 920 Walker and glanced up and caught just the bottom end of the charging stand. Literately. lol.

fxtm

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a question , I bought a wireless charger (NoName) for L1520 from eBay. Do you think that could damage my phone?
1.jpg
2.jpg

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a question , I bought a wireless charger (NoName) for L1520 from eBay. Do you think that could damage my phone?
View attachment 101639
View attachment 101640

Does it have legitimate CE, FCC, UL or similar electrical device regulating body approval stamps on it? How about Qi stamp? If not I would not use it. Not for fear of damaging the phone internally since the phone controls the charge, but from an electrical fire safety standpoint.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes