Wireless Charging worth it?

David Fung

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just got my lumia 1520 a couple weeks ago, and as it has wireless charguing I wanted to get one, I have in mind the dt-903(is there another one good?)from microsoft store, but I have some questions about it, I read that he phone gets hot when using the charger, does it going to have problem if I keep using it?
I probably going to leave the phone on the charger all night till morning so not sure about the heat.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
David, I LOVE wireless charging. BUT...

Get a stand type. Honestly the wireless charging on a stand is so much better. You can interact with the phone much better while it charges, If you need to see it or poke at it things are so much easier from a stand.

I started wireless charging with webOS on a Palm TouchStone. That spoils you quickly.

I did have some generic Nexus Orb style chargers but am getting rid of them. The 1520 is too top heavy to hold on the orb while poking the screen. I just scored a pair of DT-910 units and had to match up chargers as they came with none. Totally worth the bit of run around and wait to get the parts together. The DT-910 does a good job holding the beastly 1520.

Bedside is nice... But also where you are most productive is a good idea too. If you have a desk at work and/or a den at home. Sit down, plonk the phone on the stand. Poke at it whenever you need to. Pick it up and walk around on a call. Plonk it back on the stand. If you keep a phone with great battery life like the 1520 topped up when at your desk you will almost never have to plug in to charge again and you're never limited by that cord.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Definitely get a decent mains-powered charger though. The cheapo USB ones can't cut it.
From a use-case scenario, I tend to read some news etc when in bed, so use wired charging there (handset then on silent/quiet/flight till morning). It's on a work desk where I find wireless charging most useful. Particularly if you're in a reasonably mobile role. The ability to get back to your desk and just plonk a handset down and have it charging is neat.
Not sure why heat is a bad thing. It's not going to get furnace-hot. Hopefully.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I also have a Qi charger in my car, you have to spend some money to get several chargers but then you "never" need to worry about a empty battery. Qi charging is one of the best features of phones until there is a revolutionary battery improvement so you only have to charge it ones a week but if this super battery ever will come i wonder.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I got 5- wireless Qi charges in my fleet two desktop stands and one custom built walnut wood stand that I built, also got one in my pick-up truck and one of my cars. I couldn't live without it been using since Nokia released the DT-900 plate charger which by the way is the one I used to build the walnut stand.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have one as well for my Lumia 920, and I like how I can just plop it down on the charger at night and not have to worry about it until I need it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Why yes?

For why no see below.
During loading with a wall plug the phone also heard up So what's different. Furthermore playing game's and extensive video recording really heats up a phone. So yes heating up does not make the battery better but also without QI the battery heats up so QI charging is not a battery "killer".

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why yes?

For why no see below.
During loading with a wall plug the phone also heard up So what's different. Furthermore playing game's and extensive video recording really heats up a phone. So yes heating up does not make the battery better but also without QI the battery heats up so QI charging is not a battery "killer".

I am officially lost.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Qi charging is one of the best features of phones until there is a revolutionary battery improvement so you only have to charge it ones a week but if this super battery ever will come i wonder.
​Therein lies a problem. A design problem. They'd be no need to wait for a wonder battery breakthrough if manufacturers stopped their design quest for the thinnest possible handset. If they just used existing battery tech and made a chunkier handset, we'd be all set. And it would allow them to design in extra rigidity to avoid headline-grabbing bend test issues.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Why yes?

For why no see below.
Charging your battery in any way will heat up the battery.

In a way, the battery is sort of like a resistor, considering that you're reversing a spontaneous chemical reaction.

You may not notice this with Qi because:
1. Qi chargers normally charge slower.
2. Your location is relatively cool.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys leave your 1520 charging all night whether its on a qi charger or plugged in? I heard its bad for the battery to leave it in all night. Decreases stand by time. Should unplug at 100% always. Or am I wrong?

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys leave your 1520 charging all night whether its on a qi charger or plugged in? I heard its bad for the battery to leave it in all night. Decreases stand by time. Should unplug at 100% always. Or am I wrong?

The charging electronics in the phone will switch off battery charging when it's full. After that the Qi only needs to feed the phone itself, that will hardly make it warm. So no problem to charge it all night.
I think the main advantage of Qi charging is that there's no wear on your USB connector, and since it charges at a relatively low current it's also good for your battery.

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I really do appreciate wireless charging over normal wall plug charging on my Lumia 720 but:
Why oh why are the charging covers that you need so damn slippery compared to any other cover? For the 720 there are two types of covers (both are the CC 3064) and both are equally slippery. So the only safe solution for me is changing covers every time I drop the phone on the charger. Not actually ideal but still better than accidentally dropping the phone.

BackToVoid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Why yes?

For why no see below.

Agreed~

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon