Why isn't my Lumia 1520 microphone working?

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 1520 microphone is not working

Recently whenever someone calls me, they are unable to hear and claimed that my phone's microphone is not working. However, when i try recording and used a hardware test app, the mic is working fine. In addition, cortana is unable to hear anything that I said.

Is this a hardware or software problem??

Bob Ferrell

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1520 microphone is not working

So I have been searching the internet for a solution from software to hardware. My problem like yours was no one could hear me thru the microphone and Cortana could not hear me either. I could make calls using the speaker phone option. My solution was replacing the Microphone assembly. I've never done any teardown like this before but did it on my own and now my phone is like new. Bought the Microphone assembly on e-bay for $19.94, the seller was "fix2save" and it did save my phone. Taking apart the Lumia 1520 was found on youtube using the replacing the screen video you just stop when they are taking off the microphone part. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Yep, I can confirm Bob's solution. This is a very common fault on the 1520 - the ribbon cable that feeds the bottom mic is incredibly delicate. Replacing the entire assembly - which has the ribbon cable attached - will sort it out and it's cheap.

robnewton

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue, mine was a faulty headphone socket. something must have been stuck inside it, keeping the phone in headset mode.

Hector Pons

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1520 microphone is not working

Specweapon replied on December 16, 2015

Accomplishments

In reply to FlappetteRides Again's post on November 9, 2015

I have found a solution to the hardware fault on my phone, my microphone was never working so clearly hardware fault. I had the same microphone issues and the LED lights below my screen wouldn't work. I found that when i twisted my phone I could get them and the microphone to work, so it seemed like a bad connection in the lower daughterboard, upon disassembly I found the fault was actually where the ribbon from that board connects to the mainboard. In the picture below marked by the red arrow, I found that applying pressure made the Led's and microphone work. My solution was to stick a small piece of 2mm thick adhesive foam onto the silver cover so it applies pressure from the back cover.

Phone is working perfectly now

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm that it's the usb/microphone module. I also can confirm another common problem where the phone gets stuck in airplane mode is also caused by that same module.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39