Can Nokia Lumia 1520 owners comment on this issue?

ibamba

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello I own a Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-938), the phone is great however, I am dealing with a very frustrating issue. After a few weeks of ownership I noticed white bright spots on the screen when the phone background color is white. It is very annoying, I am out of the return period for this phone. I browsed the internet and I found out that many Nokia Lumia 1520 owners have the same issue. I found nothing showing that Microsoft has address this issue. I would like know if anyone has been able to find a way around this and fix their Nokia Lumia 1520 screen (get the white spot to disappear). I plan on replacing the display assembly as the last resort, I will buy it from etradesupply, the OEM display assembly is sold for $111.91 by them. Are they reputable (is it safe to buy from them) ?
I have a second concern regarding vibration not working after display replacement on Nokia Lumia 1520. Has anyone find a way around this and get their vibration to work when it stops after display assembly replacement. Thank You in advance for your response

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak to the spots, other than I've seen a few 1520's with them. I can speak to vibration. I've replaced a few screen assemblies now on 1520's, and have not yet had the vibration issue. I am not sure what causes it, though I've seen threads on that. Just go slow in removing and replacing it, and tape it back down into place. Seems to work for me.

The bigger issue I've had is damaging the battery. It is really glued down, and is a lot of work to remove without damage. I have damaged a few, and they are expensive to replace.

Finally - the coax connectors to the main board seem to be fragile in this phone. I ruined one 1520 by pulling the connector off the main board, and had to buy replacement cables for another by messing those up.

On the 1520 especially, the bottom line is go slow, and be very methodical. Use heat to the battery out. There are no quick shortcuts when doing the replacement.

ibamba

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I already stated that I am out of the return period with this phone. Therefore, I can't return it to the seller. I am looking for a way to fix this issue.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Will a Microsoft store help you out? Sometimes they'll replace devices for people with ease. My
Surface Pro 3 had a dead pixel & they swapped it out for me without even checking the warranty n stuff, same with my keyboard when it was having issues

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Has your phone in someway experienced significant pressure against the display? (like being pushed down on, or dropped)..

The LCD on this device is pretty weak/sensitive which mean it can easily obtain things such as LCD spots ( what you currently are experiencing ), or even "ghost taps" from bending either through just mild use, or being put in front pockets. If you didn't know "ghost taps" is a condition where a Nokia Lumia 1520 registers taps, and swipes without anyone touching the display. This can be either a small annoyance or eventually make the phone nearly impossible to use.

Screen issues like these have been very common reasons why people have moved from the 1520 to something newer ( but cheaper) like the 830, or 640xl to hold onto until the flagships are released. These two devices may very well have their occasional defects too, but unlike the 1520, these devices will also very well be protected under warranty, and easily be replaced for free.

There are people on these forums who have gone through a few 1520's, having them replaced, or paying for screen repair, for things like "ghost taps" and LCD spots. I am not trying to scare you or steer you away from the 1520, but just be aware of the risk you face when using such a fragile device that is now very rarely covered by warranty.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The spotting thing has to do with the polarizing film getting too warm. The vibration issue is a mystery I have seen it twice and in both phones the buzzer worked fine with a different motherboard. So a self test during initialization is failing or failed once and it never tries again. Etrade supply is a good enough source. I have had no worse experience with them than anyone else, but be aware if your not a business that can bring in more than $2000 a month in orders they are not going to give you much in the way of service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes