1520 AT&T to 950XL: to upgrade or not to?

DodgeSxt04

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 on att and wanted to if anyone is thinking about upgrading to 950 even though att is not getting the 950xl.also whats the reason you would or would not upgrade.Thanks in advance

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I would upgrade

Although the 950 xl isn't yet set to make an AT&T debut, it can still be bought unlocked directly from the great Microsoft

I would upgrade for these reasons
  • Sharper More Vibrant Amoled Display
  • Gorilla Glass 4
  • Built in Qi and PMA wireless Charging (The AT&T 1520 model does not have that built in)
  • Micro-SD slot expansion (up to 2 terabytes, although there aren't really any 2TB cards out yet)
  • Removable Battery (You can carry an extra battery with you and swap when one of them starts to drain to low)
  • Easier to handle (slightly smaller Size and Rounded Corners)
  • Removable Shells (Great for Customization)
  • Improved Camera (triple LED flash, Improved low light photography and OIS)
  • Flat display Glass (Screen protectors can fit edge to edge now)
  • Faster Processor and More RAM
  • Aluminum side buttons and camera rim add some style (although only opinion)
  • Windows Hello (Iris Scanner)
  • Liquid Processor Cooling (so phone shouldnt run hot)
  • Continuum
  • Support (the 1520 is aged and soon there will be none with warranty support left. the 1520 actually isnt even set to recieve offical Windows 10 through a natural update. Users will have to become an insider to upgrade))

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat and debating the upgrade. The only reason I would hold out is if they do a Surface Phone. I know it's rumored to come out sometime in the Spring of next year but I can see myself being bummed to miss out on it if it comes to fruition.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm going to wait a bit. The 1520 is still a great phone and still superior in some ways. Like it's high amplitude mics and it's Apical display. You really couldn't ask for much more than what's included in the 1520. You can get wireless charging with a shell. You still have miracast for some consumption needs and there isn't anything like having a 6" screen.

This phone has aged really well and people are still impressed by its features and crisp photos and recording. Give it a few more months and save yourself some money. By then we will probably know if there is a Surface phone on the horizon.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
1520 still has better battery life

The XL has a newer processor better gorilla glass and it's not as big as the 1520.

Depends what's more important its not a huge upgrade

I would go with The XL because it's newer and will be supported longer. I doubt if att will roll windows 10 out for the 1520 since they discontinued it

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
1520 still has better battery life

The XL has a newer processor better gorilla glass and it's not as big as the 1520.

Depends what's more important its not a huge upgrade

I would go with The XL because it's newer and will be supported longer. I doubt if att will roll windows 10 out for the 1520 since they discontinued it

None of us actually know which device has batter battery life... the battery sizes are very similar and although the XL has the more power hungry display, there are many more factors that'll determine battery life such as how the W10 OS runs on varying devices, Processor management, etc.

The XL hasn't been brought out unto the real world yet for in depth review

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
None of us actually know which device has batter battery life... the battery sizes are very similar and although the XL has the more power hungry display, there are many more factors that'll determine battery life such as how the W10 OS runs on varying devices, Processor management, etc.

The XL hasn't been brought out unto the real world yet for in depth review

That's true but for the I'm being going by microsofts listed specs the 1520 has the longer life. Now when 10 is finished and software and firmware is out for the 1520 that remains to be seen

DodgeSxt04

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
so if att only offers the 950 and not 950xl. do you think its still worth upgrading. ive been holding out and been out of contract.up in the air about signing a new contract for 950 and not 950xl.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely upgrading from my 1520.3 to a 950 XL.

The XL is just smaller by a bit that I think "pocket management" will be better. Plus my 1520 is having issues since upgrading to Denim like the compass not working, I keep getting the "WiFi won't connect" issue that is unfortunately primarily solved by rebooting, the occasional screen wig-out, etc. For me it's time to move on.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
[*]Support (the 1520 is aged and soon there will be none with warranty support left. the 1520 actually isnt even set to recieve offical Windows 10 through a natural update. Users will have to become an insider to upgrade))
[/LIST]

Just for clarification, the Lumia 1520 will get Windows 10 Mobile.
It is just not part of the first batch of phones to get it.

If you're talking about AT&T not releasing the update then that is another story.
MS however stated that they plan to make the decision when to release updates.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
so if att only offers the 950 and not 950xl. do you think its still worth upgrading. ive been holding out and been out of contract.up in the air about signing a new contract for 950 and not 950xl.
Instead of signing a new contract, put aside the amount you're saving by not being on a contract every month, and buy the phone you want. It is a good feeling to know you own something instead of being in debt.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Just for clarification, the Lumia 1520 will get Windows 10 Mobile.
It is just not part of the first batch of phones to get it.

If you're talking about AT&T not releasing the update then that is another story.
MS however stated that they plan to make the decision when to release updates.

According to this website the 1520 isnt included in the list of Lumia devices set to receive Windows 10 Mobile from MS. There was an article on here about it. 1520 users like myself will have to become an Windows Insider to recieve it. Users on 8.1 will have to become an insider when the official consumer build comes.

I couldn't find the article saying it here as it was awhile ago, but here is another article detailing the December release
http://www.inferse.com/36524/windows-10-mobile-start-rolling-lumia-phones-december/

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Why not get an unlocked 950XL from the Microsoft Store? It is a bit smaller, a lot lighter and a lot faster than the 1520. It has a newer chipset and more on-board memory (than the AT&T version of the 1520) and it has on-board wireless charging.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

As far as upgrade, I thought that was history (for the most part with AT&T) ... who knows what the future holds.

You'll probably wind up paying approx. as much for the device (& service) on an older plan, as NEXT with Mobile Share Value.
Buy the unlocked version from MS, UNLESS, you're one of the fortunate few with unlimited data.

I plan on waiting until the price comes down on the 950XL, keeping my Lumia 1520 (with a new digitizer to offset the screen issues)
... by that time we'll know IF there really is a surface phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon