Lumia 1520 stuck in airplane mode? It is caused by a defective microphone/usb daughterboard.

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok, sorry to start a new thread but this seems to be a common problem with this phone where the phone boots into airplane mode and when you try to disable airplane mode the signal icon goes nuts and quickly flips back and forth between no signal and signal.

During my searching I didn't find a definite cause. Some people thought it was software related and some people thought it was a motherboard failure.

However, neither of those things are the problem. The problem is the USB/Microphone daughterboard that is connected to the mainboard by a ribbon cable and two antenna cables. The fault lies in this board and replacing it will fix the symptoms.

DB_02.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok, sorry to start a new thread but this seems to be a common problem with this phone where the phone boots into airplane mode and when you try to disable airplane mode the signal icon goes nuts and quickly flips back and forth between no signal and signal.

During my searching I didn't find a definite cause. Some people thought it was software related and some people thought it was a motherboard failure.

However, neither of those things are the problem. The problem is the USB/Microphone daughterboard that is connected to the mainboard by a ribbon cable and two antenna cables. The fault lies in this board and replacing it will fix the symptoms.

View attachment 119990

Hope this helps someone.

This is an interesting thread. when you refer to airplane mode do you actually have the icon indicating its in airplane mode or are calls just sending to vm? I have a problem with my microphone and before I call att I figured I'd start here. I really don't want to take my phone apart. I'm tech savy by these are pretty small to take apart.

Sent from mTalk

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah, effing hell. My phone just started doing that out of the blue this morning. Boo! I've known the board needed to be replaced for a while, I just have to find someone that doesn't want to ship it from freaking China. I actually replaced it once before but the replacement was worse than the original so I put the original back in.

Thanks for this, though. Least I won't have to flail around trying to figure it out.

GQuinten

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to let you guys know the following: IT ******* WORKED ---> ON A LUMIA 830
I recently bought a second hand Lumia which was stuck in airplane mode and when disabled the flightmode, the signal would flicker and the device wouldn't be able to call or text. As I worked as a smartphone technician for a couple of months I decided to take the challenge and try to fix it.
So i had the phone and googled and googled but didn't really find an answer.... until i came across this thread.

You dear sir are the only one that i found on google who actually had some kind of logical idea and an actual suggestion as a fix, the microphone pcb.
So i ordered one in china, just got it today, immediately swapped the parts and guess what, at first boot i immediately got my signal on.! :)

Thank you very much sir thank you.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I actually replaced it once before but the replacement was worse than the original so I put the original back in.

This is exactly my experience, too. I've had three of these boards faulty upon delivery from China (often one or more LEDs not lighting). There seem to be a number of faulty items on the market. Perhaps these are Quality Assurance failures from the factory, or perhaps they are just customer returns which go round and round.

yc167

May 24, 2015
Visit site
hi guys i hv this problem as well. I recently bought a Lumia 830 loaded with Chinese firmware from eBay, and upgraded to W10M too quickly skipping the denim update. As a result, i didnt get to use rich capture mode and living images on my 830's camera. So, i decided to downgraded bk to 8.1, but when i plugged it in to WDRT, it showed "package not available". What?? And then I thinked of downloading the firmware and flash it manually myself. I flash my 830 with HK firmware. THe device booted up normally, and then i noticed the issue: FLIGHT MODE WONT TURN OFF, when i tried it from action centre, it flickered on and off quickly. So i flashed it back with Chinese firmware, it didnt help. Since then I hv flashed this phone with multiple firmware (ATT US, HK, GB...), just to try my luck. Sometimes the phone booted up with flight mode off, but after it restarted, it become ON again. I tried to bring it to my local NOKIA Care, but they refused to repair it becuz its an "oversea device". I just came across this thread and Im wondering will replacing the daughterboard in my case help? I might hv to sent to this back to the ebay seller to fix but i dont think they hv single clue about this

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
if this works, that's a find. I've had a couple come in stuck in airplane mode, and I ended up just using them for parts, because I couldn't find a fix.

this is the first I've seen on this - thanks to the OP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3