Well Finally Did It

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's $150 trade in offer got me to thinking about new phones and Win10 mobile. The 950xl is too expensive for me and after using this forum for info I decided on a new 1520 AT&T 32 gb.

Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB Matte Black at T Unlocked Smartphone New | eBay

I could have gone used or refurbished but for an extra $100 I will go new every time. Now I can keep my 925 as a spare and get myself all sync'd up with Win 10. The only problem is the 925 and 1520 have different sim sizes....oh well...........calfee

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the good word.

So how much did you spend over all?

I got myself a cheap L930 and liking it so far, soooo much snappy on WM10.

I can see why only 1520 got the official update as the older phones would need a lot of optimization and firmware to run smoothly. Especially with this WaaS model it wouldn't be possible (given how much Microsoft has retrenched in the Windows Phone space).

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the good word.

It really depends how long you want to keep it. 950XL is more future proof because of continuum and this is MS's big focus. But it can be a good investment as you save money so you can then purchase one of the newer phones that come in spring 2017.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This reply is for Senior Ambassador and poopyfinger.

I really like my 925 and Windows Phone. I got a Nokia 808 last year cheap just to fool around with but in spite of the great camera, learning the new OS just seemed like too much work or just spitting into the wind so to speak. Lesson learned.

Now MS comes up with a trade-in $150 off a 950XL for my 925 but I would like to keep the 925 for a backup phone and I won't spend $500. I would like to use Win 10 mobile for all of the advantages so I decided on the 1520 for I will spend $289 and I am spreading out the payments with pay pal credit. The 1520 should perform the same as the 930 and since I am on AT&T(cricket) it was the only choice.

I can see myself keeping the phone a year or probably two depending on the surface phone. I don't like buying used electronic devices so I passed on the used and refurbished and went with one of the few new ones available.

I will report back on the purchase. Hopefully in a year or two I will feel the money was well spent.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a att lumia 1520 unlocked which received the oem Wm 10 update. Sadly gotta say I'm not satisfied with the performance. It's definitely reduced, not greatly, but it's there. I have reset my phone bunch of times and still the performance is the same. Occasional hiccups here and there, apps closing when turning scree off, resuming words and slow resuming off certain apps. Games that already were a piece of crap plays even worst here Funrun 2) even dumb games like cut the rope function with a little lag. Certain things take more time to open. And this phone is a freaking quad core and honestly it doesn't feels that smooth overall. I do know that not all apps still haven't been optimized for wm10 but still the problem ain't the apps only. It's the OS that needs more optimization badly. I can't brag about the speed of my phone for basic tasks like I used to. And for me, that's a big deal (not the bragging, but the agility to do things eficiently). In general, the device is perfect. Nice camera, great screen and does the job well, problem's just the OS optimization. I don't even want to imagine devices with lesser processing power how they run continuum.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a att lumia 1520 unlocked which received the oem Wm 10 update. Sadly gotta say I'm not satisfied with the performance. It's definitely reduced, not greatly, but it's there. I have reset my phone bunch of times and still the performance is the same. Occasional hiccups here and there, apps closing when turning scree off, resuming words and slow resuming off certain apps. Games that already were a piece of crap plays even worst here Funrun 2) even dumb games like cut the rope function with a little lag. Certain things take more time to open. And this phone is a freaking quad core and honestly it doesn't feels that smooth overall. I do know that not all apps still haven't been optimized for wm10 but still the problem ain't the apps only. It's the OS that needs more optimization badly. I can't brag about the speed of my phone for basic tasks like I used to. And for me, that's a big deal (not the bragging, but the agility to do things eficiently). In general, the device is perfect. Nice camera, great screen and does the job well, problem's just the OS optimization. I don't even want to imagine devices with lesser processing power how they run continuum.

Thanks maybe I will leave it on 8.1

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You know, it's a personal opinion, since you are gonna have the phone for the 1st time I suggest you to try for yourself since you don't have data to loose. When the phone arrives, toy a little with 8.1. Then get the official wm10 update and try it. If you're satisfied then leave it, if you're not well, rollback to 8.1. I'm complaining but one thing's for sure, I'm not going back to 8.1, it's just too different in functionality, so see for yourself and come with a verdict, it's a personal choice and you've got nothing to loose 😉. If you do like it leave it, just don't install the inside builds because those are still pretty buggy.

Originally posted by calfee20
Originally Posted by jes1888

Thanks maybe I will leave it on 8.1

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I really think the 1520 is a great phone even if it's 2 years old. I will play with it extensively once I get it, and I will compare it to my 950xl, and SE in terms of usability ie: how well the device functions.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You know, it's a personal opinion, since you are gonna have the phone for the 1st time I suggest you to try for yourself since you don't have data to loose. When the phone arrives, toy a little with 8.1. Then get the official wm10 update and try it. If you're satisfied then leave it, if you're not well, rollback to 8.1. I'm complaining but one thing's for sure, I'm not going back to 8.1, it's just too different in functionality, so see for yourself and come with a verdict, it's a personal choice and you've got nothing to loose . If you do like it leave it, just don't install the inside builds because those are still pretty buggy.

Yes this sounds like a good strategy. I'll probably give it a shot. I'm picking the phone up tomorrow at the post office.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Got the phone, wow what a difference from a 4.5" screen. I only went on the internet when I really needed to with the 925 this will be different. I can also see using this as an ereader. I'm installing win10m now..........calfee

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Got the phone, wow what a difference from a 4.5" screen. I only went on the internet when I really needed to with the 925 this will be different. I can also see using this as an ereader. I'm installing win10m now..........calfee

I've seen some good deals on 1520s from Ebay. I am afraid though to buy one. How did you decide on which to buy? From what i gathered, yours you brought had a stock photo as the image and not a photo of the actual hardware.

Aren't you concerned/worried it may or may not be in good condition since you are buying sight unseen?

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some good deals on 1520s from Ebay. I am afraid though to buy one. How did you decide on which to buy? From what i gathered, yours you brought had a stock photo as the image and not a photo of the actual hardware.

Aren't you concerned/worried it may or may not be in good condition since you are buying sight unseen?

Look at the sellers' rating and see if they allow returns on the phones they sell, buy only from sellers with +95% ratings and those which have at least a 30 day return policy.. I bought 2 new 1520's on Ebay last year from a seller that offered 30 day returns. The phones were new and have been fine for over a year now, you should be able to determine if something is wrong with a phone in 30 days.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I paid more because this was a NEW phone it is also a 32 gb phone. The seller gives you a 14 day return window. The phone is perfect as far as I can see. I am waiting for a case and holster before I start using it as a phone instead of as a small tablet. The seller has 9 phones left.

Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB Matte Black at T Unlocked Smartphone New | eBay

There were a couple of promising used 32 gb phones up for auction and they went for about the same money. Note this is an AT&T phone so no wireless charging.

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is a great phone. If I hadn't dropped mine to damage the screen (not permanently) I would have stuck with it instead of getting a 640XL and now a 950XL.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Wow.. You can get a 950 on eBay for $260, that's what I paid. You can also get like new models of 1520 for $120ish, you paid waaaaaaaay too much for a 3 year old phone. It's a damn good phone, but no way you should spend $280 on it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes