T-Mobile tri-cut SIM question.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm giving my wife my 1520.3 after picking up a 950XL for myself. She currently uses an L640. The 1520 uses a nano SIM while her 640 uses a micro-SIM. I know I can cut it and sand it to nano-SIM size but new SIMs are less than $5 on eBay, so I'm going that route.

The T-Mobile tri-cut SIMs are basically a nano SIM with a surround that makes it a micro with a surround that makes it a standard size. Best I can tell you basically just punch out as much as you need from the card they come in. But some reviews say the unused surrounds for the nano can be used as an adapter when a micro or standard size is needed.

Can anyone here confirm that? I was originally planning to buy a T-Mobile nano-SIM and a set of adapters to let her use that SIM in spare phones as needed, but if the tri-cut SIM eliminates the need for additional adapters, that seems the way to go.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm this.
Using a T-Mo 3in1 adapter nano to micro right now.
Thanks. Is it like I was speculating? You can punch the standard size out of the card, then you can punch a micro size out of that, and then a nano size out of that and still use the nano in a micro-sim phone by somehow putting it back in the micro portion you punched it out of?

You are talking about one of these, right?

NEW T-Mobile 4G LTE Sim Card Tmobile 3 IN 1 TRIPLE CUT SIM

Update: Now I see T-Mobile sells a nano-SIM with adapters for micro and standard which I am guessing is what you have. Those are around $10 on eBay. So I'll get one of those OR a Tri-cut SIM and separate adapters, whichever is cheaper.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yup.
I just had T-Mo move me to a 3in1 last Friday.
I punched the nano out of the micro then decided to go back to the micro .
The nano stayed in the micro firmly.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yup.
I just had T-Mo move me to a 3in1 last Friday.
I punched the nano out of the micro then decided to go back to the micro .
The nano stayed in the micro firmly.
Thanks. Did T-Mobile charge you? When I switched to a nano (for the 1520.3) years ago, the local T-Mobile store just took my old micro and stuck a nano in the 1520 and activated it all for free. When my wife tried to do the exact same thing, the T-Mobile store told it her would be $20, so she walked.

Then again, maybe she didn't show as much leg as I did.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have to show any leg Lol ...
There was no charge at all.
I already had the new sim when I walked into the store.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...still use the nano in a micro-sim phone by somehow putting it back in the micro portion you punched it out of?

There is one bit of frame on the edge of the "hollowed out" micro portion that is super thin. Be careful not to break it when popping the nano out. For best results start the nano from the opposite side of the thin bit - that thicker side would be the part with the notch. Put a thumbnail in the groove and push firmly then swing the nano out like it is on a hinge. Don't pop the micro size out first if you can help it.

When converting back to micro from nano, make sure to cover the frame with tape on the side opposite the contacts and with the sticky side of the tape facing down so that the nano has a firm seat when being inserted/removed from a slot.

Or, you know, just buy a SIM adapter while you are on Amazon. I like SIM Devil. comes with adhesive built right in.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There is one bit of frame on the edge of the "hollowed out" micro portion that is super thin. Be careful not to break it when popping the nano out. For best results start the nano from the opposite side of the thin bit - that thicker side would be the part with the notch. Put a thumbnail in the groove and push firmly then swing the nano out like it is on a hinge. Don't pop the micro size out first if you can help it.

When converting back to micro from nano, make sure to cover the frame with tape on the side opposite the contacts and with the sticky side of the tape facing down so that the nano has a firm seat when being inserted/removed from a slot.

Or, you know, just buy a SIM adapter while you are on Amazon. I like SIM Devil. comes with adhesive built right in.
I already ordered a set of metal adapters for $1 on eBay. Plus one on the adhesive. I've advised people in the forum to do that after a SIM got jammed in a 925 when it moved in an adapter. And since the 925 uses a tray, it took a trip to a repair shop to get it un-jammed.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have to show any leg Lol ...
There was no charge at all.
I already had the new sim when I walked into the store.
What I meant was did you have to pay for a SIM? When I needed a nano for this very same 1520.3 years ago when I was replacing a micro-SIM phone, T-Mobile didn't charge for the new SIM but they told my wife they had to charge her $20. So either a policy change, a discretionary call that went the wrong way for her, or a clueless rep. So I ordered a nano SIM for $4.xx and an adapter for $1 on eBay.

Note to anyone buying a T-Mobile SIM on eBay: They have expiration dates and can be activated for years but some sellers were unloading SIMs with just a few days left.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What I meant was did you have to pay for a SIM?

I ordered 2 SIM kits about three or four months ago from T-Mobile.
The kits were advertised at $10 each.
I got these on one the subscriber promotions where the price is rebated during checkout so the cost to me was free.

I imagine T-Mo would have charged me the way they are now even as a customer.
Then again I switched the wife from a 640 to her iPhone and there was no charge for a new SIM when that was done this past summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo