Can I get Win 10 without using insider preview

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 1520. I installed the upgrade advisor app to see if I could get 10. I knew the 1520 was on the list but I thought the app would lead me to the download.

So my question is can I get 10 without the insider preview and if I can't which is the best "most stable" build right now.........Thanks calfee

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have an AT&T 1520, chances are good that it will be a long time, if ever, before the W10M release for your phone is available. Your best bet is to install the Windows Insider app and go on the Release Preview branch. That will give you 10586.xxx (possibly .107 or .164 then that will be followed by an upgrade to .218 which is the current build of the "Threshold" or "10586" branch of Windows 10 Mobile). Good luck and enjoy!

One piece of advice before you upgrade: Go into the store and install the "contacts+messages backup" app. Use it to backup your SMS and MMS before you upgrade. Copy the resulting folder from your phone/SD card to your PC for safe-keeping. Microsoft has issues with restoring TXTs of any kind right now, should you have any reason to hard reset or even use the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) to roll back to WP 8.1.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't even have a sim in the phone yet so all of my info is in my 925 and my MS account. I will install 10 and experiment with it and when I am satisfied then I will switch..........calfee

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm on EE in the UK and I got the official W10M on my 1520 via upgrade advisor.

I was quite shocked as I didn't expect it to be available Works great too....

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

AT&T has never been prompt about releasing updates for phones that are stuck with their branding. That's why, after my AT&T-branded Lumia 1520, I decided that I would save up to buy an unbranded phone for my next device (and I did -- a Lumia 950XL Dual-SIM). AT&T may never release Windows 10 Mobile for the Lumia 1520 since they marked it as an End of Life device anyway.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Could you tell me what version they upgraded you to. Go to settings/extras/extras and info............thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could you tell me what version they upgraded you to. Go to settings/extras/extras and info............thanks

When my 1520.3 got the official OTA push to W10M I was given 10586.164... Shortly after I got an OTA (via WaaS) to .218.

10586.164 is the minimum. I would expect to start there, then look for an update to get current with the main branch.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I am 10586.107 but I signed up for the slow lane maybe I'll switch to the passing lane. Everything seem to be going fine now.
As I noted earlier: After you get either .107 or .164, you have to check for updates 1 more time to get upgraded to .218, the current build level. Have you ran an update check to see if you can get .218 yet? :)

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest staying on "Release Preview", which is currently 218, if you want to have functional usage, just my $0.02.
I run our whole family on this currently, even one old 1020 is spinning along like a top, and my daughter is pretty heavy user, she's really gone nuts with the apps, and now the free streaming (we recently switched to TMo), with zero glitches (other than I had to manually adjust her MMS for text attachmentts).
We couldn't be happier with things, well other than the lack of VoLTE and WiFi Calling on my 950XL, but that's another topic...

-pete

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I still don't have a sim in the phone. Everything seems to be working. When I put a sim in if it makes calls and texts I will probably leave it. I have switched to "release preview" and will keep an eye out for the next stable update.

Thank you Rumored Now for the links. I skimmed through the faults and I am not experiencing any of them yet. I'll see what happens when I put a sim in it this week. I won't use this phone until the case comes in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon