How Do You Get A Nokia Lumia 1520 To Save Video Recordings Entirely?

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like an awkward question, doesn't it? 🤨 That's because it is. But for real though: why is it that a video can be recorded for 15 minutes, and then only like 10 seconds of it ends up being saved! 😵 And no, I don't think it's and SD card versus internal storage sort of thing, because I notice the same non-sense happening in both.

Is there something I don't know about with this phone? Perhaps a secret application? A certain touch? Whatever it may be, let me know. The phone is running Windows 10 Anniversary update and the card is a Samsung EVO Plus 64GB.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The stock Microsoft camera. I'd use proshot if it didn't have the 4K option greyed out. Not sure why it does, considering that the Lumia 1520 is 4K capable.

Try downloading the app: sysapp pusher

It's easier to use that to download Lumia Camera you can also download other old Lumia apps such as Cinegraph and photosynth.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Is the file large but only 10 seconds is viewable?

Unfortunately I "rage delete" video files when it does that so I'm not sure. If it does this again and the file is large, what would it mean?

It's easier to use that to download Lumia Camera you can also download other old Lumia apps such as Cinegraph and photosynth.

Never heard of this app, but I can try it out tomorrow.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I "rage delete" video files when it does that so I'm not sure. If it does this again and the file is large, what would it mean?

Never heard of this app, but I can try it out tomorrow.
Does the 1520 record this way every time or only on certain occasions?

I'm not certain yet honestly what the issue could be. Like mentioned you could rule out a software or OS issue and do a hard reset, which is not always desirable of course.

Try to look for a commonality when this happens.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

I downloaded the app today. When I clicked on Lumia Camera inside SysApp, all it does is take me to the store with a message "This app is not compatible with this device"

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
To get the Lumia camera app to work on a W10M phone you have to side load an older version and never update it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To get the Lumia camera app to work on a W10M phone you have to side load an older version and never update it.

Good point @nate0, that totally slipped out of my mind.

I downloaded the app today. When I clicked on Lumia Camera inside SysApp, all it does is take me to the store with a message "This app is not compatible with this device"

Sorry about that now that you mentioned that and nate0 brought up sideloading, I remembered the last update hosed Lumia Camera. You now get a prompt saying this app if installed "we're saying goodbye to this app, for all the great features you're used to and more, use Camera instead. It's already installed and ready to go".

When I responded to you I was thinking about the few instances I got the app running, I had installed it via My library on my Lumia 950 XL. As soon I launched the default camera app via the camera key, the Lumia camera app kept crashing to the app list. I just chalked it up to my bad luck and never thought about it again lol.

I just got it to open after persistently tapping the app on the app list.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ya unless on WP8, as soon as the app updates itself while on W10M it gets disabled and redirects you to the Microsoft default camera app.

True, got a screenshot of the divert screen now.
wp_ss_20181123_0001.jpg

The frustrating thing I found with default camera app is where is the damn tortoise lol... that slo mo icon is nowhere to be found on the UX and they have living images turned off by default...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
True, got a screenshot of the divert screen now.
View attachment 140188

The frustrating thing I found with default camera app is where is the damn tortoise lol... that slo mo icon is nowhere to be found on the UX and they have living images turned off by default...

The Slow-mo "tortoise" icon should be in the Video/Camcorder option only, unless that devices hardware is not capable. Which is the case with the 640 series and certain other models.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The Slow-mo "tortoise" icon should be in the Video/Camcorder option only, unless that devices hardware is not capable. Which is the case with the 640 series and certain other models.

Thanks, was on a grocery run so had posted accidently before I could finish the post lol. I'm aware about that edit option, personally I feel it's a poor design choice. As it makes it appear that functionality has been removed instead of being buried in the edit options.

Sure, I understand it makes for some what cleaner code... but still poor design choice never the less.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, was on a grocery run so had posted accidently before I could finish the post lol. I'm aware about that edit option, personally I feel it's a poor design choice. As it makes it appear that functionality has been removed instead of being buried in the edit options.

Sure, I understand it makes for some what cleaner code... but still poor design choice never the less.
I agree. Sometimes I wonder if they made minor changes and even feature changes like this due to migrating code and ownership of IP and apps from Nokia. Like Glance screen Display settings (Color Profile) and other more proprietary Nokia built apps Microsoft took over. Glance lost more than several functions I loved and it's almost complete driver and system service driven with very little registry interaction. Color profile however is another story but the brightness profile is lacking on the x50 series models...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Sometimes I wonder if they made minor changes and even feature changes like this due to migrating code and ownership of IP and apps from Nokia. Like Glance screen Display settings (Color Profile) and other more proprietary Nokia built apps Microsoft took over. Glance lost more than several functions I loved and it's almost complete driver and system service driven with very little registry interaction. Color profile however is another story but the brightness profile is lacking on the x50 series models...

Same here.

I've responded in a pm as not to derail the thread :) as the discussion has delved into topics beyond the camera and camera apps lol.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Interesting responses. So yesterday I recorded a 16 minute test video with the Microsoft camera, and only 59 seconds of it saved. 🤯 Today, I recorded a 30 minute video with ProShot and all of it saved. The conclusion? The video recording function of Microsoft's camera app is pathetically unpredictable. It's too bad ProShot seems to only be 1920 X 1080 for the Lumia 1520.

I'll look around for applications that can shoot in the full, glorious 3840 X 2160 the Lumia 1520 is capable of.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Interesting responses. So yesterday I recorded a 16 minute test video with the Microsoft camera, and only 59 seconds of it saved. ?????? Today, I recorded a 30 minute video with ProShot and all of it saved. The conclusion? The video recording function of Microsoft's camera app is pathetically unpredictable. It's too bad ProShot seems to only be 1920 X 1080 for the Lumia 1520.

I'll look around for applications that can shoot in the full, glorious 3840 X 2160 the Lumia 1520 is capable of.

Did you try to uninstall the Microsoft Camera app? Or reset it yet? Just checking. Also what OS build number are you on?

I can send you the Lumia camera package if it looks like you want to install and try it...

intrance

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Color profile however is another story but the brightness profile is lacking on the x50 series models...
It's there on my 950 XL (brightness profile), just in the standard W10 format now. If you have auto brightness enabled you can still go into your display settings and adjust the brightness slider from "Darkest -> Darker -> Suggested -> Brighter -> Brightest". It's pretty much the old brightness profile slider, just under a different name and less gradations I guess.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Did you try to uninstall the Microsoft Camera app? Or reset it yet? Just checking. Also what OS build number are you on?

I can send you the Lumia camera package if it looks like you want to install and try it...

Version: 1607
OS build: 10.0.14393.2551

The app resetting feature appears to only be for devices on the Creator's Update. I sideloaded Lumia Camera 5 Beta yesterday. I have tested two videos, both of which have saved, but I'll have to do more heavy testing to see if it's a keeper.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit