Problem with charger for my 2520

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having any issues with their charger ....

A. Sparking when plugging it in (only plug I've ever seen do this)

B. The green status light will not stay lit even though ac adapter is plugged in. Very hard to get it to actually charge the tablet.

Any insight would be appreciated. I figure I have to get a replacement but maybe some of the more electricity savy members have a solution. Thanks

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
1. Sparks are not good simple as, get the charger replaced before you set the house on fire.

2. The green light on the plug is always on.
If the sparks are in the wall plug then it is likely the wall plug that is too loose. Try a different plug. If the light stays lit then replace the defective plug in the house.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If the sparks are in the wall plug then it is likely the wall plug that is too loose. Try a different plug. If the light stays lit then replace the defective plug in the house.
I've tried different plugs and even in different houses.

Currently waiting for Nokia to call me back after I filed a claim about the ac adapter being defective.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I've tried different plugs and even in different houses.

Currently waiting for Nokia to call me back after I filed a claim about the ac adapter being defective.
Hopefully they don't take too long. If you were planning on getting a second charger you might want to order one. I ordered mine from Verizon since AT&T and MS didn't have one.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they don't take too long. If you were planning on getting a second charger you might want to order one. I ordered mine from Verizon since AT&T and MS didn't have one.

yea I was telling my wife we should do that , and just return the problematic one as the one we bought......she wanted to go through official channels lol

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My tablet won't charge and of course it has the issue of shutting down and not rebooting. I would definitely advise people to stay away from this tablet.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
My tablet won't charge and of course it has the issue of shutting down and not rebooting. I would definitely advise people to stay away from this tablet.
a fix is coming for the screen not coming back on from sleep and I think its just a bad batch of ac adapters

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
What have you done about warranty replacement? My first 2520 had issues and the replacement had been fine. FWIW, my wife's Surface RT used to have the issue of not waking up from sleep so not all the issues I've seen/heard about with the 2520 are limited to it.

Ojai Weber

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I had the same EXACT problem with my charger.

I couldn't find any information on a replacement, etc so basically I ended up squeezing the prongs together until they're able to independently swing and waited several hours for any internal breakers to reset.

Eventually I got it to charge and have the green light stay on, but still to this day, while charging if i spin the adapter while its charging the tablet it will intermitently stop charging and start charging...so basically it's touchy.

I don't know why this happened, its not ideal, but at least I have a working charger of sorts. No more sparks, no more "burnt rubber smell". So...yah, dunno. Maybe finagle it a bit.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the same EXACT problem with my charger.

I couldn't find any information on a replacement, etc so basically I ended up squeezing the prongs together until they're able to independently swing and waited several hours for any internal breakers to reset.

Eventually I got it to charge and have the green light stay on, but still to this day, while charging if i spin the adapter while its charging the tablet it will intermitently stop charging and start charging...so basically it's touchy.

I don't know why this happened, its not ideal, but at least I have a working charger of sorts. No more sparks, no more "burnt rubber smell". So...yah, dunno. Maybe finagle it a bit.
I'm getting the whole tablet and charger replaced. Nokia states they do not have chargers to just send for replacement. I had to email the higher ups, and they finally will give me a brand new unit rather than repair a unit I have not even got to use.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
New charger came in today, works like a charm, gets super hot though while charging
What do you mean by super hot. Does it get hotter than a 920 charging for over an hour on the wireless charger? Remember that the charger is putting out 35W which will definitely warm it up. The Surface RT only charges at 24W. It doesn't get as warm but takes significantly longer to charge that device.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by super hot. Does it get hotter than a 920 charging for over an hour on the wireless charger? Remember that the charger is putting out 35W which will definitely warm it up. The Surface RT only charges at 24W. It doesn't get as warm but takes significantly longer to charge that device.

like hot enough that if held in the same spot for like 30 sec it felt like it was going to actually burn me

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
like hot enough that if held in the same spot for like 30 sec it felt like it was going to actually burn me
I just checked the temperature of my charger that is laying on a wooden desk and has been charging my tablet for over 30min. My IR thermometer got readings between 98?F and 120?F. I laid a thermometer like a meat thermometer on the hottest part of the charger and it read 118?F. This is quite warm but it doesn't feel like I'd get a burn from it.

Last edited:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just checked the temperature of my charger that is laying on a wooden desk and has been charging my tablet for over 30min. My IR thermometer got readings between 98?F and 120?F. I laid a thermometer like a meat thermometer on the hottest part of the charger and it read 118?F. This inquire warm but it doesn't feel like I'd get a burn from it.
the tablet was beyond dead when this happened too, just charged it up from half a battery and the adapter was cool to the touch /shrug

Musht have just been the kick start to wake it from its dead dormant state ;)

And maybe not a real burn, but mt fingers did feel it for awhile after I had stopped touching it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon