520 as GPS

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I have relegated my 520 as a backup phone, but I carry it around with my every day as a mini (or micro) tablet. I use another phone as my primary, and obviously, I keep my SIM card in that phone. Now that I have the 520 without a micro SIM, Here Drive will not work or even open. Has anyone had luck using an older "expired" micro SIM placed in the slot to get Here Drive GPS to work? I know that I can take the sim out of my main phone and place it in the 520, but it's inconvenient. I cut an old standard size SIM from an old flip phone and put it in the 520, but no luck. I do get a message upon booting the phone that it's in GSM mode. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I haven't tried downloading maps with the active micro SIM in the 520 and seeing if Here Drive will work after removing the SIM.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From Nokia's site:
[h=3]What's the difference between HERE Drive and HERE Drive+?[/h] HERE Drive offers turn-by-turn navigation in a single country or area, depending on the country of your SIM. Worldwide navigation is possible by purchasing an upgrade.
HERE Drive+ is a premium app that comes with worldwide turn-by-turn navigation from the start. You can use it with or without a SIM.

Users of HERE Drive can buy an upgrade to HERE Drive+ through the Windows Phone Store.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I never tried using a non active old SIM in my 520 to see if navigation works... I might have to try. But Sims changed a few years back. There were the old Sims (which were typically used with archaic phones like your flip phone) and then the new 3G Sims. Maybe you need one of the newer style Sims? You can tell the diff by looking at the brassy contact surface. The 3G Sims have a smaller contact surface than the old style, regardless if it is a microsim or not. Compare your SIM cards and if its different, then maybe try an inactive 3g SIM and report back.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've also put in a newer Micro SIM that was never activated, but the 520 gave me a message when I opened Here Drive that there was no SIM. AT&T had recently sent me a replacement Galaxy S3 with a new SIM included, but I just used my old SIM. I never activated the new SIM.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So why not just use your GS3 as a GPS?

I no longer have the GS3. I sold it. I do have another Android as my primary, and yes, I can use it as a GPS. However, what if I want to let another family member use my 520 as a GPS? Or if I want to use Here Drive instead without having to pull the SIM out of my Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital