Use the AT&T Lumia 520 Gophone in India

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have a friend who would be coming from US to India soon.
Seeing so many offers of the 520 on Wpcentral, I was wondering whether it would be possible for me to use this $69 GoPhone in India.
It says that it is contract free, so does that mean it is sim-free?
What exactly is this GoPhone?
Is there anyway I can buy this GoPhone and use it in India with our local sim cards?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
GoPhone is ATT carrier's Pay As you Go plan. The Lumia 520 is locked to ATT, so you would need to unlock it to use it in India, and by reading few other threads it is apparently getting harder to unlock any ATT WP.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I purchased one of the 69$ 520 go phones and just did not use the Go phone sim that comes with it. I bought a regular mini sim and it works just fine but it is locked to AT&T which is my normal carrier anyway. John20212 is right though, AT&T really does not want to unlock, it is possible though with the right codes.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Did they tell you why you could not get your 820 unlocked? I just went to the site and I meet the requirements, but I know how AT&T is. I just bought a 520 go phone an would like to get it unlocked. I am a AT&T customer and have been for the past 8 years, I am using a 820 on AT&T but would like to be able to use the 520 where I want too.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Did they tell you why you could not get your 820 unlocked? I just went to the site and I meet the requirements, but I know how AT&T is. I just bought a 520 go phone an would like to get it unlocked. I am a AT&T customer and have been for the past 8 years, I am using a 820 on AT&T but would like to be able to use the 520 where I want too.

say them you are going out to India for a 3 month work and you need at least one of your phone unlocked

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
They refused my request to unlock my phone also. No reason as to why not, just that it was refused. I went hunting to see if I could find anyone who has gotten a phone unlocked by AT&T and have not been able to find one yet. Not surprised. But thats not a problem, my plan does not run out for another year and a month. Plenty of time to get an unlocked phone to use with my next provider; which will not be AT&T. Eight years wasted, thats how long I have been with them and it looks like it counts for nothing.. No matter but I don't plan on ever getting a locked phone in the future. They are more expensive; but well worth the peace of mind and freedom. Both my 820 and 520 will be probably ready to be upgraded by then anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes