Seriously doubt nokia's quality now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 520, I know its a pretty cheap device to expect it to be rock solid, still... my 4 years old 5233 feels and is more solid than this.
After 1 year of use its dead in my cupboard now. It never acted like a NOKIA PHONE, The very first time it fell on the floor, it molded like clay from the corner, very ugly, I said OK as its plastic after all.

Then its keys lost their position (they were lost somewhere inside the phone just because I was using them), very poor, I took it to nokia care, they replaced the keys, advised me to go easy with them as I was hammering them, charged me as if it was my fault, and I paid, in warranty.

Then after some time, it fell from bed (hardly 2-3 ft. high) and I found a long crack on screen and phone went totally unresponsive. I took it to nokia care again, they charged me more than 1/3rd of the device as it was my fault, and I Paid, in warranty.

Then some days ago the power button again started to loose its grip, and after some days it was all dead for some reason(I still don't know). I saw an error message "No bootable option found, press any key to shut down." First I thought its just a software failure, after all it was running DP, I didn't mind and tried to run nokia software recovery tool. And it failed. I did a little search about the error and found that my phone is toast now. It was frustrating, very frustrating. May be because of some background update or it was just a faulty device. I took it again to the local nokia care and neither could they do anything(expected). Then they said that they can try sending it to head repair center and it will charge me again almost 1/3rd of the device. Now I won't pay, even out of warranty, as its not my fault at all.
It was NOKIA/MS who screwed up something in the background or may be it was nokia who sold me a faulty device or may be 520 is just a crap phone, poor low end. Whatever the reason was, it wasn't a solid enough(even for normal abuse) phone at all. Its also hard to say that it was a faulty device as I was not the only one who had those hardware issues, they're pretty common actually.

What is driving me more mad about nokia now is their support , they're not replying to my mails, not calling me back. Seriously this is what nokia offered me:
In warranty, our fault, you pay.
In warranty, your fault, you pay.
Out of warranty, our fault, you pay.
Sorry nokia, not this time. **** you!
If they don't fix it, I'm seriously gonna go to nokia care again, throw the phone right on someone's face, wont care how many nose bones are cracking. Then I will break the phone down, and then I will dump it in their phone recycle box, so they could stick it up their ***.

Thank you nokia, I'm making the most embarrassing compromise by switching to android because of you.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Dude, its a 520. The hardware is so entry level, its a wonder it didn't come as a kit. So whats next for you, the HTC Hero?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Dude, its a 520. The hardware is so entry level, its a wonder it didn't come as a kit. So whats next for you, the HTC Hero?
His point was that:
1. Nokia hardware isn't what it used to be.
2. Nokia Care sucks. (Believe me, when I tried to get them to fix my 620's screen, they refused if I don't pay 12000 pesos, which was more than the price of the phone itself. And that was in warranty.

Well, it is a 520. What do you expect from hardware so cheap?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
His point was that:
2. Nokia Care sucks. (Believe me, when I tried to get them to fix my 620's screen, they refused if I don't pay 12000 pesos, which was more than the price of the phone itself. And that was in warranty.

That's embarrassing. 1000 bucks to fix a screen? Might be better to get a square trade on Nokia equipment. At least the co-pay won't be 1000 bucks. I think many of these phones are tracphone quality throwaways and not worth the time it takes to repair them. The OS is stellar but like many android phones out there, are just throwaway devices. They get traded out until they get you one that you don't bother sending back.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's embarrassing. 1000 bucks to fix a screen? Might be better to get a square trade on Nokia equipment. At least the co-pay won't be 1000 bucks. I think many of these phones are tracphone quality throwaways and not worth the time it takes to repair them. The OS is stellar but like many android phones out there, are just throwaway devices. They get traded out until they get you one that you don't bother sending back.
12000 pesos then was worth ~USD225, by virtue of exchange rate.

And, yes, it's rather annoying that we somehow get throwaway hardware.
And, well, I had it for nearly a year by that point so I was attached to it. I couldn't bear to part with it, so I'm getting someone else to repair it for me.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
12000 pesos then was worth ~USD225, by virtue of exchange rate.

And, yes, it's rather annoying that we somehow get throwaway hardware.

And, well, I had it for nearly a year by that point so I was attached to it. I couldn't bear to part with it, so I'm getting someone else to repair it for me.

Bing must have the amount wrong then. They converted it to $913 and some change. At any rate, I (no pun intended) would never expect the 520 could even be repaired since it is so basic.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Why did you even bother yourself commenting when you couldn't read the entire thing.

His point was that:

What I expect: keys to not go off board on a normal use, and not to go toast without any reason at least.
I was thinking to give WP a try, I knew nokia phones are good (owned many of them before), so I got a 520 and then all of this. It literally failed to impress at first and I got a z10 some months ago (I was pretty sure that android is not my thing) And who wants to spend this much on his secondary device?
On the other note, with such device, WP will fail to impress anyone on entry level. Not surprised why 630 couldn't continue its success.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
girishN. Stop moaning.

You damage your phone by dropping it and you expect repairs to be covered by warranty????
You upgrade to a not-officially-released OS and it stops working. You expect repairs to be covered by warranty?

Don't blame the phone. Don't blame the phone manufacturer. Blame the user.

Get real. Oh, and I suggest you learn what warranties are for. Try reading.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You really shouldn't expect much from a ~100 bucks device. Move up a bit to the 620 and you will start to see nicely built hardware.

I held the 520 and I agree it feels cheap, the 620 on the other hand doesn't

​But yeah, Nokia Warranty is basically **** at least in my country. It's always my fault, it's always the user and that I should pay this amount of money.

The next time you get something more expensive, get insurance. Warranties doesn't really give much nowadays anyway but security for a year for defects by the manufacturer. If it's your fault, you really will pay. That's how warranties are since forever and not only with Nokia but with other companies. Again, get insurance.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
girishN. Stop moaning.

You damage your phone by dropping it and you expect repairs to be covered by warranty????
You upgrade to a not-officially-released OS and it stops working. You expect repairs to be covered by warranty?

Even an android doesn't go dead, root it, overclock it or do anything, and people still bash it like its doing everything wrong. And here, where everything is OFFICIAL, under their control still it died.
And I didn't say its their fault it broke, what I said was that it broke from just 2ft of height, I hardly see ANY phone breaking its screen by falling off from that height, still I paid.
And Its less about warranty and more about their quality which used to be good no matter what phone you buy.
And what can I do by reading warranty terms? They can also write "Go **** yourself, whatever happens we don't care" in their warranty terms, sorry but that wont be acceptable.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
You really shouldn't expect much from a ~100 bucks device. Move up a bit to the 620 and you will start to see nicely built hardware.

​But yeah, Nokia Warranty is basically **** at least in my country. It's always my fault, it's always the user and that I should pay this amount of money.

The next time you get something more expensive, get insurance. Warranties doesn't really give much nowadays anyway but security for a year for defects by the manufacturer. If it's your fault, you really will pay. That's how warranties are since forever and not only with Nokia but with other companies. Again, get insurance.

Yeah it is cheap and I should not expect too much from it, but when their older and cheaper sets are doing better, its pretty assuring that they're going down.

Rei Zanaliu

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
girishN. Stop moaning.

ikr?

Rei Zanaliu

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Even an android doesn't go dead, root it, overclock it or do anything, and people still bash it like its doing everything wrong. And here, where everything is OFFICIAL, under their control still it died.
And I didn't say its their fault it broke, what I said was that it broke from just 2ft of height, I hardly see ANY phone breaking its screen by falling off from that height, still I paid.
And Its less about warranty and more about their quality which used to be good no matter what phone you buy.
And what can I do by reading warranty terms? They can also write "Go **** yourself, whatever happens we don't care" in their warranty terms, sorry but that wont be acceptable.

well if it writes so then dont buy their product. thats why you should read it. anyway you drop the phone two times and its their fault? its not always about the height it also depends how the phone drops, the angle and such. im sorry man but your logic is not right here.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
well if it writes so then dont buy their product. thats why you should read it. anyway you drop the phone two times and its their fault? its not always about the height it also depends how the phone drops, the angle and such. im sorry man but your logic is not right here.

Sorry but am I being unclear?
Poor hardware buttons, their fault, I paid.
Broke screen, my fault, I paid.
Phone stops working without any reason, their fault, this time I wont pay.
this is what I said.

I can't even count how many times I dropped their sets before and none of them got broke, but this one was really poor. And I'm not saying refund my money I paid for that screen, just asking to fix my phone which is dead because of them, and they just don't want to reply my mails, which definitely leads to frustration.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I feel dumber having read this thread.

I crashed my car and it dented but the dealer wouldn't fix it for free......./s

Warranty covers MANUFACTURING DEFECTS, not user error or installing beta software.

I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am, but come on man. Take some responsibility, stop playing the victim. Nokia didn't drop your phone.....and last I checked glass breaks, and since all modern phones have way more glass than old nokia phones....well common sense bro.

On a side note I've dropped my 1520 on concrete, right on a corner, case less mind you, and it didn't break. Glass screens are all luck when dealing with drops.

Last edited:

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

Warranty covers MANUFACTURING DEFECTS, not user error or installing beta software.

I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am, but come on man. Take some responsibility, stop playing the victim. Nokia didn't drop your phone.....and last I checked glass breaks, and since all modern phones have way more glass than old nokia dumb phones....well common sense bro.

On a side note I've dropped my 1520 on concrete, right on a corner, case less mind you, and it didn't break. Glass screens are all luck when dealing with drops.

....and the door handles disappeared into the door. I paid.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

The 520 doesn't feel cheap, it's an awesome phone. Especially considering I paid $39.99 for mine. When you factor in the price difference between the 520 to the 620, the 520 is a jewel of a phone.

Plus it's square, like a Lumia SHOULD BE. I'm stoked that my 520 looks like a miniature version of my red 920.

N1RaF30.jpg

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am, but come on man. Take some responsibility, stop playing the victim. Nokia didn't drop your phone.....and last I checked glass breaks, and since all modern phones have way more glass than old nokia phones....well common sense bro.

Your car had a time bomb preinstalled, it blasted after 13 months and now you realize that dealer was a terrorist.
I mentioned the breaking of glass because breaking from 2ft. height isn't acceptable, no other glass phone will break from this height, and I also agree it was my fault, and I didn't say repair it for free for that.
But beta programs should not lead your device to death, if they do then why other 520 running DP are not dead yet? And if they don't, then my device must be faulty, then what problem should they have in repairing their faulty set? Are they terrorist?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The 520 doesn't feel cheap, it's an awesome phone. Especially considering I paid $39.99 for mine. When you factor in the price difference between the 520 to the 620, the 520 is a jewel of a phone.

Plus it's square, like a Lumia SHOULD BE. I'm stoked that my 520 looks like a miniature version of my red 920.

View attachment 78314

That's really just my personal opinion. It looks good in photos but in my opinion, the materials are evidently cheap but then again, it's a very affordable phone and I can't complain.

The 620 just feels really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6