Black Update is out for Lumia 521 and Tmobile customers

catfoodgood

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, no one had problems? Mine has been stuck on the updating gears for over an hour. I tried resetting with the power button but it's disabled. After an hour I pulled the battery and rebooted that way, but after the tmobile logo it went back to the gears and it's still there 20 minutes later.

catfoodgood

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
They are still spinning. I'll walk away for another hour and see what happens.

Update: a few hours later and the phone kept trying to update until it died. I plugged it back in and it went right back to updating. It seems like my phone is ruined since it won't do anything except keep rebooting into the update which never finishes.

Last edited:

catfoodgood

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

It didn't work. Because of where in the boot process the update takes control, the Nokia app never sees that a phone was plugged in.

So, here's what I did. I bought another one. It's 1/2 the price it was when I bought it last year, and it's the best $70 phone out there. I didn't see anyone else have this problem, so I view it as a fluke.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't expecting much out of this update, but it fixed a lot of my problems! for one thing, the camera is now a lot faster. and the other big change that helped me was the multitasking is faster and more responsive. now, it's much easier to switch between office, camcard, etc. without twiddling my thumbs waiting.

and some apps seem more stable (they don't dump me back to the start screen as often as they used to).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
It didn't work. Because of where in the boot process the update takes control, the Nokia app never sees that a phone was plugged in.

So, here's what I did. I bought another one. It's 1/2 the price it was when I bought it last year, and it's the best $70 phone out there. I didn't see anyone else have this problem, so I view it as a fluke.

Spinning gears is very easy to fix with a Laptop and Nokia Care Suite for Retail. Lots of good info on multiple threads in the Forums on this website.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Updated my daughters phone last night and I get a text this morning that she now has duplicate songs and some songs are now missing like she had before when she first got the phone. This is ridiculous that Microsoft has not fixed this and updating to Black caused this to come back. She wants to dump Windows phone now and I don't blame her.

Last edited:

Ramis529

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I am still not getting the app...though i got 3 of the feautures of the black version still i donthave te rest and in the inf box it doesnt say black version it says version 1.7......

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Spent a good 5 hours last night trying to get rid of the duplicate pics and songs that appeared after updating the 521 to Black. I give up...tried formatting the SD card in the phone, on a computer and it made no difference. I guess I will have to do a hard reset.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Spent a good 5 hours last night trying to get rid of the duplicate pics and songs that appeared after updating the 521 to Black. I give up...tried formatting the SD card in the phone, on a computer and it made no difference. I guess I will have to do a hard reset.

Turn off Xbox Music, that should stop the duplicate from appearing. But you will still have to go through manually and remove the duplicates. My suggestion is plugging phone into PC and remove them via windows explorer..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon