Flashing 1308 Firmware?

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello forums!

I'm a brand new smartphone user (woohoo!), and I decided jump in with Windows Phone and a Lumia 620. I'd been edging towards WP for a while, and I've always loved Nokia phones, and the 620 sold me. However, I've run into a small problem.

I have a cyan Lumia 620 from expansys.com, and I'm using it on T-Mobile in the Minneapolis area. However....the 1308 firmware update is nowhere to be found, and I have no idea why. Everything I've read and seen says the update has been released to the US, and still, nothing. I've manually checked the update dozens of times, with or without the SIM card in the phone. Then, I did some researching.

It turns out that my Lumia 620 is a " 620 CV PR AZUL/CYAN" model. The operator code is 000-PR, or something along those lines. So as far as I can tell, my phone was designed for use in Puerto Rico. And from what I've heard, the phone will check back with its originating country to see if it is eligible for an update. I take this to mean that the phone checks in with Puerto Rico before it can get an update.... -.-

SO. Should I have actually gotten a US model? And does it make a difference? My gut tells me this might cause more and more problems down the road. And I think there's 2 options: One, write to Nokia or Expansys and explain my problem and ask for an exchange, or 2. Flash the firmware of my phone using a generic USA firmware.

I guess I'm just not sure of what to do :\ I've never flashed a phone and I've only had the lil guy for a few weeks! If anyone has dealt with something like this or has advice on firmware flashing, please let me know! Again I'm a bit of a newbie at all this stuff. Thanks to anyone who made it this far, I write too much :p

*edit* also, if I'm wrong about the PR thing, feel free to let me know :)

Last edited:

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to WPCentral!

You are correct, you do have a handset intended for Puerto Rico and it's only when firmware is released for the CV (country variant = unbranded) Puerto Rico handset that you will get offered the update.

You might want to get in touch with Expansys to express your disappointment at discovering that your handset was not, as you expected, a version intended for the continental US.

Your other choice will be to flash a US version of the firmware - I'd need to check into this and it would help to know which carrier you are on.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As Puerto Rico is under US jurisdiction your warranty should still be valid and shouldn't be a cause for concern. As for flashing the 1308 firmware I wouldn't advise it just yet. You see, the update has only just been released and takes time to find its way onto every handset. My advice then is to patiently wait for the official release of the firmware because manually flashing the update yourself will render your warranty null and void.

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, and welcome to WPCentral!

You are correct, you do have a handset intended for Puerto Rico and it's only when firmware is released for the CV (country variant = unbranded) Puerto Rico handset that you will get offered the update.

You might want to get in touch with Expansys to express your disappointment at discovering that your handset was not, as you expected, a version intended for the continental US.

Your other choice will be to flash a US version of the firmware - I'd need to check into this and it would help to know which carrier you are on.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!! Thank you all! Windows phone people are pretty awesome, I can already tell :)
So my fears are confirmed, i got an exotic foreign device! Not like its bad or anything, but it sure explains a lot. Was wondering why so much Spanish was already on the phone haha! I'll definitely be letting expansys know, bit weird for them to mix that up. At this point I'd love an exchange, would make things SUPER easy. Plus i bet theres plenty of Puerto Ricans who would love a specific PR phone

As for my carrier, I'm on T-Mobile USA in the Midwest. I plan to stick with em for a while, cause i LOVE the direction they're going.

To the 2nd reply,, thank you as well! I think i will definitely contact Nokia, no matter what i do. Didn't even think about any warranty issues, thank you for reminding me :)

And oh wow! Great link! I'll read up on flashing and wait a few more days. Its definitely not something i want to rush into.

Thank you all again for the help, it really means a lot for a fresh recruit like me.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
@Cadet

Can you check your model number for me? It should be either 059S2M2 or 059S1C1 (it's on the chassis of the phone under the battery, labelled as Code, or on the white label on the outside of the box)

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
@mark sure thing! Okay the model number is 059S1C1. And of course, the label under the battery is written in Spanish. Good thing I'm a decent speaker haha

So does this make a difference in firmware versions?

pbroy

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The best thing for you to do is to download Nokia Software Updater for Retail and use that to update your firmware. It'll automatically find the newest version of firmware for your phone model and update it with that. I have a Chinese model. Updated it to 1308 and just deleted all the Chinese stuff on it and downloaded English. I bought my phone from Expansys USA. Had buggy firmware. Contacted them about it for an exchange. They never got back to me. So I took it into my own hands to fix the issue. Keep your phone. You will not find a US model 620. Expansys buys them from different places.

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The best thing for you to do is to download Nokia Software Updater for Retail and use that to update your firmware. It'll automatically find the newest version of firmware for your phone model and update it with that. I have a Chinese model. Updated it to 1308 and just deleted all the Chinese stuff on it and downloaded English. I bought my phone from Expansys USA. Had buggy firmware. Contacted them about it for an exchange. They never got back to me. So I took it into my own hands to fix the issue. Keep your phone. You will not find a US model 620. Expansys buys them from different places.

Oh wow, you got a Chinese one?? Yikes, and I thought I had the issue! Well damn, bet that was confusing at first. And while it sucks knowing other people have the same problem, its also a bit comforting :) freakin Expansys! What's their deal? If its sold to the USA, it should be a USA model. Same with all other countries. Ah well.
THanks so much for your post though, really. Its awesome to know that its pretty easy to fix, I'll be downloading that soon as I can. Did you just use a US labeled firmware? Anything I should be looking for? I'm just gonna follow in your footsteps if that's alright. You know your stuff :)

pbroy

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
There was never a US version of the 620 released, so you will not find a US firmware for the 620. The closest you can probably get is a European firmware. I don't suggest that either. Just keep your current country firmware, its custom to the cell radio is in your phone. Just use the software I suggested and update your firmware that way. Its the software that retailers use to update with official firmware. There will be no options to select other country firmware. The software will automatically give you the best version that is available for your phone. Pretty straight forward. Here is a link to a guide I wrote up. It's towards the middle of the thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-620/218629-2.htm

After doing the update, just uninstall the languages you don't want and add English through the settings.

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
There was never a US version of the 620 released, so you will not find a US firmware for the 620. The closest you can probably get is a European firmware. I don't suggest that either. Just keep your current country firmware, its custom to the cell radio is in your phone. Just use the software I suggested and update your firmware that way. Its the software that retailers use to update with official firmware. There will be no options to select other country firmware. The software will automatically give you the best version that is available for your phone. Pretty straight forward. Here is a link to a guide I wrote up. It's towards the middle of the thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-620/218629-2.htm

After doing the update, just uninstall the languages you don't want and add English through the settings.

Aaaah. I see! Well that's unfortunate, but it makes sense now. Thank you again for the link and the continued advice, I checked it out and I downloaded the Nokia Updater for retail.

And here we go again, hah. So I downloaded the installer and it was in a .rar file, extracted it. When trying to run the installer, I get a message that says "the operating system is not adequate for running Nokia Updater for Retail." Im on windows vista, I would think that's current enough. Could it be a 32bit vs 64 problem? Or do I need windows 7?

Cadet Christmas

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Gotcha. I did on fact get it working on another computer, and unfortunately it looks like the firmware I have is the most current for now. I'll try and be patient then, but I hope the 1308 gets rolled out soon!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2