Lumia 630 User Reviews

Scotty43

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi all just got a 630 last week pretty decent for the price especially in South Africa where phones can cost as much as R15000 = $1500

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I sold my 630 dual sim today.

Great little device, but Nokia/Microsoft really screwed up the launch pricing on this one. I bought it at the end of May earlier this year for ₹11,300. Now, in December, it's available brand new for ₹7,500! Price has dropped to 66% in around 7 months! So I took a huge hit when selling it. But I felt like another phone, so I sold it anyway.

Last edited:

Cartright

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I got the 630 Dual SIM. I must say, I'm generally disappointed by the Windows Mobile. I was before Android user and I'm still Blackberry 9900 user.
I expected that a Windows mobile phone would directly synchronize with Outlook or other Microsoft office product. But it's quite complicated.
The 630 as such is quite OK and suitable for every days use but the desktop software is not state of the art.
Cartright

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
got 2 yesterday to give to parents
great phone for price
paid $96AUD with a $50AUD cashback
so only $46AUD each
was voda locked got free unlock code as well

laspahr

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to awaken a dead thread.. But I just bought one off eBay for ~$30 with a case, was it worth it? I was looking at this or a Lumia 810.. Might still get the 810 if I find one similarly priced. Read through the specs but don't know if I made the right choice :)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
It was an excellent deal for the price, the phone has an excellent battery but having only 512mb of RAM you'll notice you'll see lot of "Resuming..." as the other apps are suspended in the background to liberate memory for the running app. Anyway if you play music you won't see any performance difference.

I believe the US version of 630 already comes with Denim update, so you already have some new features.

But if you were between both you should have chosen the 810, because:
630 is slightly bigger with 4.5 inches while 810 has 4.3 inches and I find the 630 to be more beautiful but:
The 810 has 1GB of RAM which is much better than 630 with only 512MB;
The 810 has a front camera, 630 does not;
The 810 camera is much better as it has Zeiss optics, a flash and 8Mpx;
The 810 has NFC, Proximity sensor, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Ambient light sensor,
And there are much other advantages of 810 over 630.

On Lumia the higher the number the better, most of the times as there are some exceptions.

The first digit of Lumia version is the price tag, so a 530 is cheaper than the 630.
The second digit is generation, so 620 is the second generation, 630 the third and 640 is the fourth.
The third digit is variant, so 630 is the original variant, the 635 is a modified variant of 630.

laspahr

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
It was an excellent deal for the price, the phone has an excellent battery but having only 512mb of RAM you'll notice you'll see lot of "Resuming..." as the other apps are suspended in the background to liberate memory for the running app. Anyway if you play music you won't see any performance difference.

I believe the US version of 630 already comes with Denim update, so you already have some new features.

But if you were between both you should have chosen the 810, because:
630 is slightly bigger with 4.5 inches while 810 has 4.3 inches and I find the 630 to be more beautiful but:
The 810 has 1GB of RAM which is much better than 630 with only 512MB;
The 810 has a front camera, 630 does not;
The 810 camera is much better as it has Zeiss optics, a flash and 8Mpx;
The 810 has NFC, Proximity sensor, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Ambient light sensor,
And there are much other advantages of 810 over 630.

On Lumia the higher the number the better, most of the times as there are some exceptions.

The first digit of Lumia version is the price tag, so a 530 is cheaper than the 630.
The second digit is generation, so 620 is the second generation, 630 the third and 640 is the fourth.
The third digit is variant, so 630 is the original variant, the 635 is a modified variant of 630.

Hmm.. Well I think I'm picking up an 810 as well then :) thanks for your input!!

laspahr

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Hmm.. Well I think I'm picking up an 810 as well then :) thanks for your input!!

Got my 630 today, loving it :) already installing Windows 10 haha... Also bought the 810, excited to get that too! What's the latest version of WP it runs? I'm assuming Denim but not anticipating it

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are in US and it's the T-Mobile 810 than it's still on Amber (first version of Win8) you'll have to install the preview for developers app to force, at least, the software to update, no firmware though.

I did not know it was a T-Mobile exclusive as I'm not from US, checked now and this really pissed me.

laspahr

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
If you are in US and it's the T-Mobile 810 than it's still on Amber (first version of Win8) you'll have to install the preview for developers app to force, at least, the software to update, no firmware though.

I did not know it was a T-Mobile exclusive as I'm not from US, checked now and this really pissed me.

Hmm :/ difference between software/firmware..? Sorry I should probably know this, but oh well.. Also the 630 didn't have denim until I installed the insider app, and then uninstalled after it updated but before it went to 10 (which is still a little too buggy for me ATM, maybe next build). Also the 810 is supported for the next build of 10 :D

anon(9152079)

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
In few words:
Software is what's run over the Hardware. It's what you use & interact and commonly know.
Firmware is what reads the Hardware bits to transform it into instructions for the software and kind of vice-versa.
The BIOS is a kind firmware.

The firmware update had to be done for the 630 to enable the equaliser. Before Denim the firmware did not have the instructions needed to control the sound, Denim firmware added those instructions.

Last edited:

laspahr

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
In few words:
Software is what's run over the Hardware. It's what you use & interact and commonly know.
Firmware is what reads the Hardware bits to transform it into instructions for the software and kind of vice-versa.
The BIOS is a kind firmware.

The firmware update had to be done for the 630 to enable the equaliser. Before Denim the firmware did not have the instructions needed to control the sound, Denim firmware added those instructions.

Ah, okay! :) thanks

anon(9380980)

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I have my Lumia 630 for almost a year and I think this phone is really great. Much better than an android device in this price, Android is so slow under $400.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay, it's time for my turn, then ;)

I ended up buying this phone for ₱7600. That's roughly $174, and that's a shade of the official SRP at ₱7990.
That's the first thing that struck me. Nokia is selling this for just a few hundred pesos more than the 520.

Then, the box was finally shown, and its contents displayed in front of my eyes.
Well, I never really thought I'd see such a halfhearted effort from Nokia/Microsoft, from the box at least. (Side note: The charger that came with my 630 is rated at 750 mA. The charger that came with my 620 is rated at 1300 mA, and isn't fixed to boot!)

Well, it's good to know that the phone is always better than the box it came in.
First off, build quality. It feels impressive. That's all I have to say. If you've owned a Lumia, you know what to experience.

The difference in speed or stability between this and a 620 is rather negligible. That said, I could say this of all WP devices. The differences really boil down to how quick the animations are on your respective OS version.
Now, the battery is mind-boggling from the perspective of a 620 owner. What can down my 620's battery in four hours takes twice as long to do so on my 630. Mind-boggling, I say.
The scree I did own a 620, there are a lot of things I missed out on by buying this. I miss Glance, and Double-tap-to-wake, and those are some major feature we're dealing with.
While the phone is better than the box it came in, it resembles the box too much, though at the end of the day, it gets the job done.

I use a Lumia 532 now, it has glance, double tap, however 4.0, i would like to go a bit larger but now i am considering sticking to what i have, maybe the 630 is a step back any thoughts please???. Also I think i may prefer hard physical keys vs On screen, does anyone hit screen with the on screen keys like mistakes???, If they made mine in a 4.5 it would be perfect!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon