Lumia 635 Screen. Need Opinions

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 925. I also have a 635. I have been using hd screens on my devices since they were released. When I use my 635 my eyes hurt. It's very noticeable how poor the screen is compared to HD panels. But that doesn't concern me. What concerns me is my eyes hurting.

Do my eyes just need to adjust to it? Or are poorer resolution screens worse for eyes? What are your experiences?

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I came off an HTC 8s which was not HD. So to me it's fine even though there's a slight difference (the PPI being smaller). But using the medium brightness setting with the custom Nokia settings to make it a little brighter, I have to admit I don't really see any problems. But maybe that's cause I've never had an HD version. Either way, it still means that your eyes should adjust.

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I came off an HTC 8s which was not HD. So to me it's fine even though there's a slight difference (the PPI being smaller). But using the medium brightness setting with the custom Nokia settings to make it a little brighter, I have to admit I don't really see any problems. But maybe that's cause I've never had an HD version. Either way, it still means that your eyes should adjust.

Yeah that must be it. I love the phone. Just the screen makes me feel like I am going crosseyed

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I had to adjust a bit as well. I had a Lumia 925 with an awesome screen. It broke and I switched to the 635 and had to strain my eyes a little. I seem to he getting used to it though over the last several days. Waiting for TMobile to carry a new Lumia with HD screen.

rcloke91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The differences coming from a 1080p or 720p absolutely will--and should--be noticeable.

That said, built in WP apps do have enhanced typography that makes using those apps much better than it should be. If you do a lot of web browsing or if the app is essentially a port of an app from a different platform, then it'll look pixelated. No way around that.

One think I've noticed is that using the 'dark' theme makes everything look much MUCH worse on low-res displays like the 635 has. Using the light theme has made it look much better.

beanboy89

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've used a wide variety of phones and thus different screens. Anything from the Nexus 5 all the way down to the Lumia 520 and a lot in between. I have a 635, and the screen isn't bad. I like the 635's screen more than the one on the 520. I think the difference is the 635's ClearBlack display. Blacks actually look black, unlike the dark gray on the 520. The 635's pixel density, measuring in at 217ppi, is actually lower than most other phones that I own, actually. The 520's pixel density is 233ppi, not a big difference, but slightly noticeable. One thing that I think helps Windows Phone in general is how the OS renders fonts. I believe Windows Phone renders fonts a lot more smoothly than Android.

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
The differences coming from a 1080p or 720p absolutely will--and should--be noticeable.

That said, built in WP apps do have enhanced typography that makes using those apps much better than it should be. If you do a lot of web browsing or if the app is essentially a port of an app from a different platform, then it'll look pixelated. No way around that.

One think I've noticed is that using the 'dark' theme makes everything look much MUCH worse on low-res displays like the 635 has. Using the light theme has made it look much better.

That's funny you say that. Because u switched to light theme and things are slightly better.

iHeartBretski

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've used a wide variety of phones and thus different screens. Anything from the Nexus 5 all the way down to the Lumia 520 and a lot in between. I have a 635, and the screen isn't bad. I like the 635's screen more than the one on the 520. I think the difference is the 635's ClearBlack display. Blacks actually look black, unlike the dark gray on the 520. The 635's pixel density, measuring in at 217ppi, is actually lower than most other phones that I own, actually. The 520's pixel density is 233ppi, not a big difference, but slightly noticeable. One thing that I think helps Windows Phone in general is how the OS renders fonts. I believe Windows Phone renders fonts a lot more smoothly than Android.

It must just take time for my eyes to adjust. This device is just an in between device for me. But I use my phone alot for reading and work so it's noticeable and makes my eyes feel wonky hahaha

drhere

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I had posted about this earlier today (it hasn't been approved yet, but if the mods are watching you can delete it as this thread answered my question). I noticed the pixels too although less on the light theme. I just got the 635 from Amazon for 62 dollars a Tmo device, I have a Nexus 5 on Tmo;s $30 plan, so it was easy to switch SIMs. I bought it as I need to learn Win Phone for work (I am IT support), also I am interested in it, I want to learn it.
I was going to return this back to Amazon (who no longer sells it so I would be unable to get an exchange), but this tells me it is normal, and not defective. The white background setting helped, Considering this is an LTE phone (I live in NYC so LTE is not an issue except my apt where my N5 can't even get LTE), for $60+ I would hate t return it,, I do not now think it is defective. Maybe coming from a higher end phone like the Nexus 5 and for $400 I would hope it was a higher end screen, I need to get used to the screen. I am not abandoning Android, but I am impressed with Win Phone, this will be my backup OS, I am not a fan of iOS.
Sorry about the Android avatar, I am coming from androidcentral.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It depends on what you are already used to as to how good the screen will look. I remember after using my new laptop for 2 months, I went back to factory reset my old laptop, which was much older, and the pixels on the screen were suddenly quite noticeable. It actually made my eyes hurt. Therefore, I understand exactly where you are coming from. I never noticed it before I got the better resolution laptop.

As far as phones go, I switched from a device with a 3.25" display and a 320x240 resolution to the Lumia 635. Personally, I think the 635 screen is pretty awesome after coming from that other device. Of course, in its day, my old Windows Mobile 5 device was top of the line and the best one on the market. But that was back when I purchased it in 2006. Still works and looks like new, as I took very good care of it over the years. If the 635 lasts that long, I probably won't know it, because I doubt I'll wait that long to upgrade again. ;)

Yeah, maybe someday I'll get a higher resolution screen, but right now, my eyes are loving what I've got. The PPI is much higher than on my laptop, which I use much more heavily than the phone, so the screen is actually quite crisp for me on the phone.

Bobby Phoenix

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a 530, and a 635. After using the 530 for a while my eyes are used to it, and it looks good. Then if I go to the 635 the screen looks super HD. It's all in what you're used to. I think your eyes just adjust after a while, and you won't actually hurt them. I've never had eye problem from switching resolutions. It just took time to adjust.

drhere

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I ended up sending it back to Amazon for a refund, it is defective, the device had issues connecting, and it was going through constant reboots.
Maybe my employer will buy a phone so I can learn it, it won't be mine, but that is OK.
I think Amazon got a bad batch because this is now on their page:
Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

I liked the device, I hope Win Phone hangs in there.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It's funny, but I prefer the dark background option and find it easier on the eyes. Maybe that's because I tend to read a lot mostly at night and the light background provides too much brightness for the ambient lighting conditions. Try adjusting the brightness level too. I find that Medium is just about right for most conditions, but High and Low definitely help under certain lighting situations.

drhere

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, it was a defective device after all.
I sent the original 635 back last week. Amazon finally restocked, and sent me a replacement, the screen on this new 635 is fine, my old one did have a defective screen, it kind of looked like a 1970s TV set with the lines.
So far so good, glad I called and asked for a replacement, I only had to wait a week for them to restock after pulling their defective lot. I got the 635 for $65 on sale, it is $107 when I looked last night.
For the money I paid I am more than satisfied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon